AIW 9000 Pro vs 9800 Pro and which chipset

Old September 17th 03, 04:22 AM
Cuzman

Default AIW 9000 Pro vs 9800 Pro and which chipset

wrote in message

" I'm upgrading my system and trying to decide between the AIW 9000 Pro and
9800 Pro. I know the 9800 is 8X vs 4X and 128MB vs 64MB, faster, etc. My use
is for some home desktop home video editing. Some light gaming, no quake. I
checked today and the 9800 is running around $360, the 9000 $135. Is the
9800 worth the extra $225? "

It all depends what you are actually doing with your PC as to what you
should get. The 9800 Pro is vastly superior to the AIW 9000 Pro in both
speed and features for rendering graphics. It is fully DirectX 9
compatible, whereas the AIW 9000 Pro is only fully DirectX 8.1 compatible.
The AIW 9000 Pro has a TV Tuner and capture capabilities though, so you may
wish to utilise that in your "home video editing". However, if all you are
doing is loading your home videos onto your PC via your firewire port, then
the AIW features may not be needed. It might be better to look through the
full range of cards, as the choice between the two you have stated is a very
strange one.

Old September 17th 03, 04:37 AM

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:22:49 +0100, "Cuzman"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

" I'm upgrading my system and trying to decide between the AIW 9000 Pro and
9800 Pro. snip Is the
9800 worth the extra $225? "

The AIW 9000 Pro has a TV Tuner and capture capabilities though, so you may
wish to utilise that in your "home video editing".

Yes. I should have stated that my camcorder is Hi8 so I don't have
firewire capability. The video capture on the AIW is something I need
for input.

It might be better to look through the
full range of cards, as the choice between the two you have stated is a very
strange one.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of it that way. I have an AIW 128. 1x AGP and
16MB. I like all the features I get with the AIS (TV tuner, video
capture, etc.) but I can't use the 1x AGP card with most of the new
motherboards.

It really comes down to money. I want the features the AIW gives me. I
believe I get the same features in both cards, just more mem, speed
etc with the 9800.

Thanks for the input!

Old September 17th 03, 12:11 PM
Kirby Crosby

for yor needs the 900 is probably fine. Th e9800 is a top range card and has
vastly superior performance in games.
However the 9800 also has video soap which uses its pixel shaders to help
"clean up" poor quality signals on the line in.
If your movies are in good condition this is also not that important but if
they are old and have static etc then the 9800 would be better.
I have a 9700 AIW and love it, however i do more gaming than vid capture so
the choice was clear for me.

wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:22:49 +0100, "Cuzman"
wrote:

.. .

Old September 18th 03, 04:57 AM

Thanks again for the insight.
Old September 20th 03, 06:54 PM
Proto

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm upgrading my system and trying to decide between the AIW 9000 Pro
and 9800 Pro. I know the 9800 is 8X vs 4X and 128MB vs 64MB, faster,
etc. My use is for some home desktop home video editing. Some light
gaming, no quake. I checked today and the 9800 is running around $360,
the 9000 $135. Is the 9800 worth the extra $225?

Are there any issues with the motherboard and chipset with these
cards? I was thinking of going the AMD route with an Asus A7N8X
(nVidia chipset).

Thanks for any insight!

One note about video editing SW. I just installed Hollywood HFX Pro 5.1
and found that only a card with 128Megs will allow use of hardware
acceleration. I don't know if this would apply to any editing SW you have or
plan on using in the future.

Proto