A7N8X-X Audio Drivers: nforce2 X Realtek

Old January 23rd 04, 05:33 PM
Dimitri Souza

Default A7N8X-X Audio Drivers: nforce2 X Realtek

Which audio drivers should I install on an Asus A7N8X-X?? nforce or
Realtek?? From this mobo specs, the Audio driver should be a Realtek
ALC650 - however, it seems that NFORCE2 unified drivers also installs
an audio driver for this board...

Dimitri
Old January 23rd 04, 07:10 PM
Ben Pope

Dimitri Souza wrote:
Which audio drivers should I install on an Asus A7N8X-X?? nforce or
Realtek?? From this mobo specs, the Audio driver should be a Realtek
ALC650 - however, it seems that NFORCE2 unified drivers also installs
an audio driver for this board...

As far as I'm aware, that mobo does not have the MCP-T, which means that you
need to install the nForce package (for everything else) AND the Realtek
ALC650 drivers for the audio.

Ben

Old January 23rd 04, 07:13 PM
Dimitri Souza

"Ed" wrote in message

On my A7N8X I had the Nvidia drivers installed and all I could get
working was the front speakers. I installed the (wdm_xxxx.exe) Realtek
ALC650 drivers right over the Nvidia drivers, it added a RealTek control
panel which allowed me to enable 2,4,6 speakers, added volume mixers,
Equalizer, etc,etc..

Thanks! I'll do that!! By the way, I found out that Realtek website has a
newer version (3.54*) than the one available on the Asus website (3.45)...

Dimitri

*
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True

Old January 23rd 04, 07:18 PM
Dimitri Souza

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
As far as I'm aware, that mobo does not have the MCP-T, which means that

you
need to install the nForce package (for everything else) AND the Realtek
ALC650 drivers for the audio.

Ben

I agree with you and I guess you're right. The only thing that seems a
little odd to me is the fact that when I installed the nForce2 drivers the
audio drivers were updated! So perhaps the MCP chip (without the "-T")
included in this mobo has a Realtek circuitry instead a Soundstorm one...

Dimitri

Old January 23rd 04, 07:31 PM
Ben Pope

Dimitri Souza wrote:
I agree with you and I guess you're right. The only thing that seems a
little odd to me is the fact that when I installed the nForce2 drivers the
audio drivers were updated! So perhaps the MCP chip (without the "-T")
included in this mobo has a Realtek circuitry instead a Soundstorm one...

How did you ascertain that the audio drivers were updated? Do you have
devices in device manager such as:
"NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit..."?

You can "install" drivers without using them :-) Do you have the NVIDIA
nForce Control Panel?

The standard MCP doesn't have any audio gadgetry (that I'm aware of). It is
connected to the ALC650 via the PCI bus.

The MCP-T (on the A7N8X Deluxe, at least) uses the ALC650 for ADC and DAC
functions only and as such does not require the Realtek driver..

Ben

Old January 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
Dimitri Souza

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
How did you ascertain that the audio drivers were updated? Do you have
devices in device manager such as:
"NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit..."?

(...)
The standard MCP doesn't have any audio gadgetry (that I'm aware of). It

is
connected to the ALC650 via the PCI bus.

Actually I should have stated that "I guess"... ;-) The fact is that I'm not
at home right now, but I *guess* that I saw in the Device Manager the audio
card driver being listed as "nvidia something". But as I don't trust my
memory, probably you're right... As soon as I arive home tonight, I'll check
what ".sys" is being used as driver for the sound system...

Thanks!
Dimitri