hp 940c deskjet not printing

Old March 8th 06, 02:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default hp 940c deskjet not printing

On my windows 98, I have a HP 940c deskjet printer. All was working
fine until one day, when my husband tried to print he got a message
"color cartridge low or needs replacing." he does not remember the
exact wording. I removed the color cartidge to replace it with a new
one but could not find it (I am waiting for a new cartridge to be
deliverd). So I replaced the original cartidge and tried to print.
The print order probably went to the printer because the light lit and
blinked on the unit, but there was not a print job under job
description (control panel).
I took both color and black catridges out and put them back in,
thinking I did something wrong the first time. I tried a new test page
but it was still not able to print.
For other reasons, I needed to use the recovery disks to re-install all
software to its original state on this HP Pavillion PC. I thought this
would solve the probelm after I completed this task. I am still in the
process of reloading the various software and saved files.
The hp 940c deskjet software loaded OK but when it showed me a picture
of the printer and asked me to print a test page, the printer did not
respond. I tried several times with no success and had to exit the
installation process. The HP 940c deskjet printer shows as the default
printer in the control panel. Does this mean it is fully installed?
I still have to install the cannon scanner. does the scanner have
anything to do with the printer?
Hope you can help.

Old March 8th 06, 04:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

This is normal... the printer knows the cartridge is empty and blocks
printing. Once you install a NEW cartridge, it will be back to
normal... kind of sucky that it even blocks black if the color is empty
and vice-versa, but that is the way they work.

Old March 8th 06, 05:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thank you. I bought a color and black. should I put in the new black
with the color or keep the old black until it runs out?
Do you know anything about scanners? 2 questions
I reinstalled his Cannon scanner - CanoScan Lide 35. I got an error
message after it installed "msiexec.exe file is linked to missing
export msi.dll 222"
I do not know what this means. Does it affect anything?
question 2: I cannot find the program to copy a link to desktop. I was
surprised it did not one there automatically. I went to the control
panel to scanners and it was there and it stated it was properly
installed. Can you help me find a way to open and use the scanner?

Old March 8th 06, 05:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is normal... the printer knows the cartridge is empty and blocks
printing. Once you install a NEW cartridge, it will be back to
normal... kind of sucky that it even blocks black if the color is
empty
and vice-versa, but that is the way they work.

The above statement is *entirely* false. The DeskJet 940 (as well as
all DeskJet printers) do not block printing for an empty cartridge.
Period.

For the OP's problem I would try the following: first try printing a
self test page as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ang= en#N1272.
If the test page prints OK then check the cabling and connections to the
printer. If the self test does not print please note any blinking
lights or other errors. In this case, open the printer lid with the
power turned on. There are some icons molded into the top part of the
printer case and the carriage will move to one of these positions, which
indicate either no error or a problem with the black or color cartridge
or the black or color cartridge being low on ink. [As noted before, the
cartridge being low on ink will *not* prevent it printing.] See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...pd0917 3#N285
for details.

If the indication is that one of the cartridges has an issue try
cleaning the contacts as shown at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpa02060.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old March 8th 06, 05:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I'd wait until it tells you the black is empty before putting the new
black cart in.
On the scanner, msiexec is the windows installer program... it sounds
like it hiccupped and did not finish installing the software
completely. Best bet is do a reboot and re-try the scanner SW
install... if it still fails, you'll need to do scandisk on the drive
to check for errors (double click "my computer", right click on the C
drive, go to properties, then tools, then "check drive for errors"
click the button there and it will pop up a box with 2 check boxes in
it... select both, click ok and it will tell you that it will run on
the next boot... reboot and let it go.)

Old March 8th 06, 09:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you. I bought a color and black. should I put in the new black
with the color or keep the old black until it runs out?

The low on ink indicator is designed to let you know that the ink is
getting low and you should have a replacement cartridge available. You
can continue to print until the cartridge actually runs empty, or the
print quality deteriorates.