Core 2 and IDE HD

Old December 28th 06, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JakeC

Default Core 2 and IDE HD

Hi there!

I would like to upgrade my PC to a Intel Core 2. However, I've found so
far that I may have problems with hard drives that I'm using. Right now
I have two 200GB IDE HD, one CD-RW and one DVD-RW. If the motherboards
for Core 2 only have one IDE/PATA connector and a SATA connector, then
what options do I have to keep my two HDs, CD and DVD drives in the new PC?

I have never used SATA HD, and I would prefer not to re-install the OS
and other programs. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jake
Old December 28th 06, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

JakeC wrote:

Hi there!

Lo here!!!

I would like to upgrade my PC to a Intel Core 2. However, I've found
so far that I may have problems with hard drives that I'm using. Right now I have two 200GB IDE
HD, one CD-RW and one DVD-RW. If the motherboards
for Core 2 only have one IDE/PATA connector and a SATA connector, then
what options do I have to keep my two HDs, CD and DVD drives in the new PC?

Get a motherboard with more than one IDE port.
Get an IDE card for the new PC, they dont cost much.
Get IDE/SATA converters for the two hard drives.
Put the hard drives in external housings that connect using USB2.
Stop using the CD-RW and just use the DVD-RW and put the DVD-RW in an external housing.

I have never used SATA HD, and I would prefer not to re-install the OS and other programs.

You can clone the boot drive to a SATA HD.

Old December 28th 06, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current Core 2
Duo compatilbe design. (You did not say which motherboard you have.)
WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it has
been using, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
the OS. Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data
corruption.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old December 28th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JakeC

DaveW wrote:
You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current Core 2
Duo compatilbe design. (You did not say which motherboard you have.)
WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it has
been using, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
the OS. Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data
corruption.

Currently, I have a P4P800SE. I understand that I have to change the
motherboard because my current one will not fit Core 2. Last time I
changed motherboard, I changed it from a Gigabyte 8SQ800 to the current
one. I changed that because the Gigabyte board had one connector burnt
out (part of it melt away). From the Gigabyte to Asus board - that was
the only thing changed - I simply plugged everything to the board and
did not have to re-install the OS (Windows XP Pro). I'm hoping that it
would simply be plug-and-play again when I upgrade to a Core 2 ;-)

Anyhow, I guess I just have to find a board that has two IDE connector
then and stay away from Intel chipset ;-)

I appreciated your reply!
Old December 28th 06, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JakeC

Rod Speed wrote:
JakeC wrote:

Hi there!

Lo here!!!

I would like to upgrade my PC to a Intel Core 2. However, I've found
so far that I may have problems with hard drives that I'm using. Right now I have two 200GB IDE
HD, one CD-RW and one DVD-RW. If the motherboards
for Core 2 only have one IDE/PATA connector and a SATA connector, then
what options do I have to keep my two HDs, CD and DVD drives in the new PC?

Get a motherboard with more than one IDE port.

Would you suggest nVidia chipset?

Get an IDE card for the new PC, they dont cost much.
Get IDE/SATA converters for the two hard drives.
Put the hard drives in external housings that connect using USB2.
Stop using the CD-RW and just use the DVD-RW and put the DVD-RW in an external housing.

I have never used SATA HD, and I would prefer not to re-install the OS and other programs.

You can clone the boot drive to a SATA HD.

How do I do that?

Old December 28th 06, 03:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

JakeC wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JakeC wrote

I would like to upgrade my PC to a Intel Core 2. However, I've found
so far that I may have problems with hard drives that I'm using.
Right now I have two 200GB IDE HD, one CD-RW and one DVD-RW. If the motherboards for Core 2 only
have one IDE/PATA connector and a SATA connector, then what options do I have to keep my two
HDs, CD and DVD drives in the new PC?

Get a motherboard with more than one IDE port.

Would you suggest nVidia chipset?

I havent checked that myself recently.

With the latest intel chipsets, the IDE ports are provided by others
so the number of IDE ports isnt determined by the chipset anymore.

Get an IDE card for the new PC, they dont cost much.
Get IDE/SATA converters for the two hard drives.
Put the hard drives in external housings that connect using USB2.
Stop using the CD-RW and just use the DVD-RW and put the DVD-RW in
an external housing.

I have never used SATA HD, and I would prefer not to re-install the OS and other programs.

You can clone the boot drive to a SATA HD.

How do I do that?

Just use a decent cloner. I like True Image myself.

You can use it for backups after you have used it for cloning.

You just install it, create what it calls the 'rescue' CD.
Boot that, and the clone option stands out like dogs balls on the initial screen.

Old December 28th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

DaveW wrote:

You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current Core 2 Duo compatilbe design.
(You did not say which motherboard you have.) WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive
with the OS on it has been using, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
the OS.

Wrong regardless of how often you keep repeating this stupid claim.

Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff. XP has a repair install for a reason.

Old December 28th 06, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
DaveW wrote:

You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current Core 2
Duo compatilbe design. (You did not say which motherboard you have.)
WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it
has been using, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh
install of the OS.

Wrong regardless of how often you keep repeating this stupid claim.

Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data
corruption.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff. XP has a repair install for a reason.

It doesn't do any good to keep telling him that Rod. I have been telling him
the same thing for a couple of years. I think this system is on it's 2nd or
3rd MB with the same install of XP Pro with only an uninstall of chipset
drivers and a repair install and reinstalling new drivers........ It may not
work every time, but it will most always work without a problem at all. I
guess he just loves to spend a couple of days reinstalling apps....

Ed

Old December 28th 06, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
DaveW wrote:

You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current Core 2
Duo compatilbe design. (You did not say which motherboard you have.)
WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it
has been using, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh
install of the OS.

Wrong regardless of how often you keep repeating this stupid claim.

Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data
corruption.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff. XP has a repair install for a reason.

Which DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK. Why do you people always have to give others the
idea that this is ALWAYS possible?

SteveH

Old December 28th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Ed Medlin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
DaveW wrote

You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current
Core 2 Duo compatilbe design. (You did not say which motherboard
you have.) WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive
with the OS on it has been using, then you MUST reformat the
harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.

Wrong regardless of how often you keep repeating this stupid claim.

Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff. XP has a repair install for a reason.

It doesn't do any good to keep telling him that Rod.

Yeah, I realise that. I keep pointing out the problem with his
stupid claim so the OP realises that the claim is just plain wrong.

I have been telling him the same thing for a couple of years.

Yeah, bout as useful as talking to a stone.

I think this system is on it's 2nd or 3rd MB with the same install of XP Pro with only an
uninstall of chipset drivers and a repair install and reinstalling new drivers........

I dont even bother with the uninstall. Works fine.

It may not work every time, but it will most always work without a problem at all.

Yeah, I've never had one fail.

I guess he just loves to spend a couple of days reinstalling apps....

The real problem is that he's a bonehead.

It isnt just that claim about a clean install, he has plenty of
other things he proclaims that are just plain wrong as well.

Its always been one of the more interesting aspects of relatively
complex technology, you will always get some boneheads that cant
manage to grasp that the world has moved on in a particular area.
They are so thick that they need rigid rules to go by and are so thick
that they dont even notice when those rigid rules no longer apply.

There's plenty of others just as thick, 'citizen bob', w_tom and Falconer particularly.