netcomm switch - wall mount issue

Old October 10th 04, 06:36 AM
Skeleton Man

Default netcomm switch - wall mount issue

Hi all,

I have a 5 port netcomm switch, which works ok, except when wall mounted.
When I wall mount it, as soon as I clip it onto the screws on the wall, the
power light and all other lights go out (I remove it from the wall and it's
fine again).

Any ideas on why this happens ?

Regards,
Chris

Old October 10th 04, 11:07 AM
kony

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:36:50 GMT, "Skeleton Man"
wrote:

Hi all,

I have a 5 port netcomm switch, which works ok, except when wall mounted.
When I wall mount it, as soon as I clip it onto the screws on the wall, the
power light and all other lights go out (I remove it from the wall and it's
fine again).

Any ideas on why this happens ?

If it's the typical wall-mounting arrangement with slots in
the back, odds are the screws are shorting out something
inside. You should be able to look in the hole and see if
this is the case. Otherwise perhaps the screws stick out
too far and are flexing the circuit board.

If the screws are shorting the PCB you could mount it a
different way, use nylon mounting studs ("maybe" available
at a good hardware store) - OR - open the switch, take up
circuit board and put a very thin piece of plastic or
cardboard behind it, to insulate from the screws.

Then again it could be other things, like the power outlet
being poorly designed and can't take the stress of the cord
hanging out of it at certain orientations, but wiggling the
cord around should reveal this.
Old October 10th 04, 05:51 PM
Vanguardx

"Skeleton Man"
wrote in :
Hi all,

I have a 5 port netcomm switch, which works ok, except when wall
mounted. When I wall mount it, as soon as I clip it onto the screws
on the wall, the power light and all other lights go out (I remove it
from the wall and it's fine again).

Any ideas on why this happens ?

Regards,
Chris

You need to use the screws so they are just long enough to reach inside
the casing, not so far you are pushing them against the circuit board.
Use a pan head screw to reduce the size of the head rather than have a
big dome of metal for the screw head sticking inside. Otherise, use
self-stick velcro (you might have to remove any rubber feet to get the
case close enough to the wall for the velcro pieces to mate).

kvm switch issue Hedgie General 1 July 9th 04 05:57 PM
KVM Switch - for PS2 2-Port Steve Schooler General 2 May 28th 04 09:03 PM
Auto switching Ethernet Switch???! david General 18 October 11th 03 08:27 PM
Using PS/2 and USB with a KVM Switch? Thomas M General 0 July 31st 03 11:21 AM
Computer switches off ~misfit~ General 8 July 27th 03 11:38 AM