Proliant 6400R Does Not Show Up in Windows 2000 as Multiprocessor

Old February 20th 04, 07:25 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

Default Proliant 6400R Does Not Show Up in Windows 2000 as Multiprocessor

We have a Proliant 6400R with four processors installed and 4GB of memory
that we wanted to run Windows 2000 on. We installed Windows, and
configured devices, without a problem. But for some reason the install did
not see the additional processors and installed just a single processor
model under Windows Device Manager. Task Manager clearly shows just one
processor running.

I went to Device Manager and attempted to replace the Single Processor
device with either ACPI Multiprocessor or MPS Multiprocessor. In both
cases, Windows warned me it could not confirm my selection. I decided to
go with MPS Multiprocessor, since ACPI has its own issues, and I was at
least sure there were four processors.

Now when you boot the machine it gets to the end of the "Starting Windows"
update bar, and the system hangs. When I try to do a "Safe Boot" mode it
does not show me any drivers being loaded, but exhibits the same behavior.

I am hoping I have just forgotten some detail about how to configure the
BIOS for multiprocessor use in Windows. How can I made the Proliant 6400R
run multiprocessor under Windows?

Finally, how can I recover this machine to run Windows 2000 again?
Assuming I can even get the recovery console going, is there anything I can
do there for this case to make the system bootable again?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Old February 20th 04, 09:59 PM
John

Which version of windows did you install - server or 'Advanced' server? I
believe you'll need 'Advanced' server to support 4 processors. Since it
won't boot in safe mode, your best bet would probably be to do a parallel
install of win2k or contact Compaq support to walk you through the recovery
console process to fix the HAL files that were changed when you tried to
select the multiprocessor option.

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" wrote in
message ...

Old February 20th 04, 10:18 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

I installed server not Advanced Server. I thought Server went to four
processors and Advanced went to eight, but even if I had installed just W2K
Professional, I would still see at least two processors in Task Manager not
one, if I had multiprocessor enabled?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

. com...

Old February 21st 04, 04:15 AM
Mark S

I am running a 5500 with quad PPro's and it is supported by Win2K server.
Setup detected that it was a multi CPU, and installed accordingly!

HTH (at least a little bit)

Mark S

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" wrote in
message ...
I installed server not Advanced Server. I thought Server went to four
processors and Advanced went to eight, but even if I had installed just

W2K
Professional, I would still see at least two processors in Task Manager

not
one, if I had multiprocessor enabled?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

. com...

Old February 22nd 04, 08:54 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

nope...

standard = 4proc/4GB
Advanced = 8proc/8GB

LC

. com...

Old February 24th 04, 03:23 AM
beldar

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
We have a Proliant 6400R with four processors installed and 4GB of memory
that we wanted to run Windows 2000 on. We installed Windows...

snip

Now when you boot the machine it gets to the end of the "Starting Windows"
update bar, and the system hangs.

simple solution
1. take ballpeen hammer in dominant hand
2. apply hammer repeatedly to all Micro$ith virusware CD's lying about
the house
3. install Linux
4. have a much better day