Antec power supply fans don't work

Old July 10th 03, 05:19 PM
Lance Uppercut

Default Antec power supply fans don't work

I have an Antec Performance Plus Series Plus660AMG Mini Tower Case
combined with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. The fans on the power
supply have not turned on once. Ever. The top of the case gets so
hot that it burns to touch it. If I use the "fan only" connectors
coming from the power supply then the case fans don't work either.
Currently I use the standard power connectors to keep both case fans
running. However, the power supply fans are useless. Is my power
supply defective? I am aware of the "True power" feature on this unit
which supposedly regulate the fans according to temperature. Can I
somehow force the fans on the power supply to always run (or at least
turn on!!)?

There seem to be others with the same problem, although I have yet to
find a solution.

Thanks,

Scott
Old July 10th 03, 08:13 PM
Mike Mastro

I've got three of these cases and in all of them the power supply fans turn
on. One dumb question - you did plug in the small 3-prong plug into the
motherboard which powers the P/S fans, right? If so, and they don't ever
turn on, then either the P/S fans are bad or the fan lead from the
motherboard is bad (never seen that one).

Mike

om...

Old July 10th 03, 09:00 PM
Larc

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:13:36 GMT, Mike Mastro pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| I've got three of these cases and in all of them the power supply fans turn
| on. One dumb question - you did plug in the small 3-prong plug into the
| motherboard which powers the P/S fans, right? If so, and they don't ever
| turn on, then either the P/S fans are bad or the fan lead from the
| motherboard is bad (never seen that one).

Now it's my turn to be dumb. Plug something into the motherboard to power the
PSU fans? The PSU is where is power is. It should power the fans itself. I
have seen connections on a few motherboards for monitoring the PSU fan(s), but
not for powering it (or them). But many motherboards — all mine included — have
no such connections. The MSI 845GE Max in this system has a CPU fan connector
and one system (case) fan connector. That's all!

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old July 10th 03, 09:21 PM
trappeduser

"Lance Uppercut" wrote in message
om...

Try buying proper fans next time says me with my coolermaster
fans just purchased.

Old July 10th 03, 09:56 PM
Craig

[...]

Did you send a email to Antec or Call Antec?
I would not use your computer at all to the fan comes on in power supply.

Craig

Old July 10th 03, 11:07 PM
Mike Mastro

Callsignviper is correct. Sorry about that. I thought I had a P/S
once where the 3-pin plus was actually powering the fan. It was an enermax
P/S if I recall correctly. Of course, perhaps that was just a sensor as
well. Sounds like your P/S/ is probably bad. I've had a bad P/S before,
but it didn't work at all.

Good luck,

Mike

"callsignviper" wrote in message
newsalPa.30082$ye4.20677@sccrnsc01...

"Mike Mastro" wrote in message
I've got three of these cases and in all of them the power supply fans

turn
on. One dumb question - you did plug in the small 3-prong plug into

the
motherboard which powers the P/S fans, right? If so, and they don't

ever
turn on, then either the P/S fans are bad or the fan lead from the
motherboard is bad (never seen that one).

Mike

That plug is ONLY a fan RPM monitor for one of the fans in the power

supply.
It does NOT supply power to the power supply's fans. The power supply's

fans
are powered internally via either plugs or the fan(s) wires are soldered
directly to the PCB in the power supply!!!!

BTW: Motherboard fan headers do go bad especially if a fan that draws more
current than that header is designed to supply is plugged into it! Many
Delta fans, for CPU heatsink use, come with a warning NOT to use the
motherboard fan header for just that reason.

callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions

Old July 11th 03, 03:21 AM
jaster

[...]

Psu fans should work all the time. The Smart and True Power series have
regulator to reduce psu fan rpm depending upon system temp otherwise fans
run all the time. I argee with contacting Antec for RMA.

Antec Sonata Power Supply Bob Schmidt General 0 June 17th 04 02:53 PM
help, please, with Compaq Presario power supply problem Jacques Clouseau General 6 June 9th 04 06:44 PM
My Review: ASPIRE Turbo Case X-Dreamer Black Mid-Tower Case with350W Power Supply, Model "ATXB3KLW/350W" Cyde Weys General 3 June 1st 04 04:10 PM
AM radio noise Randy General 27 July 27th 03 05:02 PM
Power supply? Toxic Sweat Homebuilt PC's 2 June 28th 03 10:32 PM