BFG 6800GT OC VS 7800GT

Old December 6th 05, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default BFG 6800GT OC VS 7800GT

I've never had a problem running my apps and games with the 6800GT. I'm
planning on upgrading my system and I'm trying to decide whether I should
keep my BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP8X card or jump to the 7800GT. If I go with
the 7800, I buy a PCI-E mobo. If I keep my 6800GT, I'd buy an AGP board.
I know it's "old" techonology, but it would allow me to continue to use my
6800GT for one more go 'round.

Obviously, there is a performance increase but is it worth shelling out $500
to go from the 6800GT AGP8X to the 7800GT PCI-E?

Old December 6th 05, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I've never had a problem running my apps and games with the 6800GT. I'm
planning on upgrading my system and I'm trying to decide whether I should
keep my BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP8X card or jump to the 7800GT. If I go
with the 7800, I buy a PCI-E mobo. If I keep my 6800GT, I'd buy an AGP
board. I know it's "old" techonology, but it would allow me to continue to
use my 6800GT for one more go 'round.

Obviously, there is a performance increase but is it worth shelling out
$500 to go from the 6800GT AGP8X to the 7800GT PCI-E?

FWIW, I'm currently running a XP 2700+, 1Gb with the 6800GT OC. I'm
building a Athlon X2 4400+, 2Gb.

So I guess my question is, do I put the 4400+ on an AGP8X board so that I
can still use the old card or do I spend $500 more to get the 4400+ on a
PCI-E board with a 7800GT? It adds significant cost to my build. Is it
worth it?

Old December 6th 05, 06:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Dave Zass wrote:
So I guess my question is, do I put the 4400+ on an AGP8X board so that I
can still use the old card or do I spend $500 more to get the 4400+ on a
PCI-E board with a 7800GT? It adds significant cost to my build. Is it
worth it?

Why not add the card on a board with the Uli M1695 chipset ?
That way you can still use a 6800GT but also upgrade to PCI-E when you
want to
Right now only Asrock and Abit have M1695 boards but Dfi and Gigabyte
boards should folow soon

--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535
Old December 6th 05, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Dave Zass" wrote in message
I've never had a problem running my apps and games with the 6800GT. I'm
planning on upgrading my system and I'm trying to decide whether I should
keep my BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP8X card or jump to the 7800GT. If I go
with the 7800, I buy a PCI-E mobo.

My opinion is to upgrade the m/b to PCI-e and go with a 7800GT. More money,
but you're future-proofing your investment. Very few of the newer state of
the art cards will be available in AGP as the years go by. You'll be able to
recoup a good piece of change by selling the original m/b and 6800GT on
Ebay.

Old December 6th 05, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I agree with Augustus.

The video card is not an easy item to upgrade cheaply. Here is where I would
splurge if I were you. So I highly recommend you bite the bullet and buy the
best card you can at this time so you don't have to try to sell it next year
for a big loss. Get the 7800 GTX now if you can swing it. Or ... get the
very highest you can possibly afford or hey actually the 7800 GT is a great
bang for the buck I hear. And think of how great it will be to play your
fave games at the highest possible rez with all eye candy turned on! By the
way the 7800 GTX 512 just came out so 7800 GT is now third down the rung in
performance.

Remember, your TIME is valuable. Yet another reason to upgrade BIG when you
upgrade, so you can put it off longer until the next upgrade. And bonus, in
the mean time you enjoy game playing with higher rez and more eye candy
turned on!

There's a review on the new 512mb video card at Tom's site. If you check
the benchmarks, the 512mb card in single mode sometimes beat the SLI 512mb
mode. By a few frames.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...114/index.html
And if I did my math correctly, the 7800GTX 512mb card was sometimes 23%-33%
faster compared to the 7800GTX 256mb video card for 1600 rez with 4x/8x
settings.
--
Scotter

Old December 6th 05, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:34:27 -0500, Dave Zass wrote:
[...]

Just buy an all-new system (PCI-E, 7800, atc.) and then sell your
current system. A decent system with a 6800 is worth more than $50 :-)

I thought I was in the same quandry... I had what I thought was a dying
video card. But why buy a new video card with an old interface? So,
new mobo, which means new RAM and CPU, might as well get new disks...
for me, it turned out to be flaky system RAM, replaced it, system runs
perfect again.

* Reform California gun laws - http://www.reformcagunlaws.com/ *
* http://www.gunownersca.com - http://www.crpa.org/ *
* San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *
Old December 7th 05, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Remember, your TIME is valuable. Yet another reason to upgrade BIG when
you upgrade, so you can put it off longer until the next upgrade. And
bonus, in the mean time you enjoy game playing with higher rez and more
eye candy turned on!

I've got all of my eye candy turned on with my 6800GT. I would have never
asked for opinions if I was upgrading from a much older card.

Old December 7th 05, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I thought I was in the same quandry... I had what I thought was a dying
video card. But why buy a new video card with an old interface? So,
new mobo, which means new RAM and CPU, might as well get new disks...
for me, it turned out to be flaky system RAM, replaced it, system runs
perfect again.

I *am* buying everything new for the new system. Nothing, except the
possibility of the video card, will be reused. The old system will become
my home network server and won't require anything more than the on board
video.

I would buy a new video card with an old interface if 1) I had the old
interface already, and 2) the video card met my needs.

My point is, I don't know whether I should shell out $500 for a 7800GT when
I have a 6800GT that works fine. I still haven't read anything compelling
as to why it would be a good idea. I'd gladly buy a new mobo with an old
interface if it made sense to keep using my current video card, thus saving
$500.

Old December 7th 05, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Well... sounds like you are satisfied with your current setup as far as how
it performs in games. Are you using a small monitor or super old games? I'm
asking that question because I'm running a 6800GT on an Opteron 250 (FX-53)
setup with 2 gig RAM and two 24" Dell LCDs and in PlanetSide (an MMO FPS
game), at wide screen high resolution, if I want high Frames Per Second,
especially while flying a jet, I need to turn down quite a few of the
graphics options. And PlanetSide is not a new game. So I'm drooling over the
new 512MB 7800 GTX.

Now for you, the question is more than just "do you trade out your 6800GT
for something better because of the AGP vs. PCI-E issue. If you are going to
upgrade, almost anyone would tell you to get a MB with PCI-E. And I haven't
heard of any good motherboards that combine AGP & PCI-E. The only ones I
heard of - I heard bad things about.

So... IF you are going to upgrade because you need to make your current
machine a file server, then the smart money is to get a PCI-E board and that
means you need to get rid of your 6800 GT. So if you are getting rid of that
card and you need to replace it, then see my original argument for buying
the very best you can at time of purchase. Yes, you pay more. But yes, you
get more. Of course, if you run a low rez because you have a small monitor,
then a 7800GT should do the trick for you for quite some time to come.
--
Scotter

Old December 7th 05, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hmmm, isn't there an AGP-PCIe bridge being sold? With that you should be
able to install your AGP card onto a PCIe motherboard. This may be an
urban-legend though, since I, myself, did not double check it. By the way, I
had the same problem, but the other way: I wanted a new GPU, but I was happy
with my system. So, for me, it was a new system with PCIe or not for a new
graphics card. I ended up buying the AGP version and keeping my system.
By the way, you sould be able to sell the old card on eBay, still for a
decent amount of money, which would ease the pain of $500 for the new card,
if you decide to go that way.
Good luck.
GT-Force