XP 3500 socket 939 high cpu temps?

Old February 6th 05, 02:33 PM
Dee

Michael Brown wrote:

HT (HyperTransport) is the memory link between an AMD CPU with an
integrated memory controller and the memory.

Umm, no. The HT link is between the AMD CPU and the southbridge. Memory
comes off the CPU itself and has nothing to do with hypertransport. If
you're going to be picky, make sure you're right

Okay, so I blew it! Do I get forty lashes with a wet noodle?

I realized my mistake later while thinking about it, but couldn't get
back to the computer until now.

I apologize for the error of my ways!

Old February 7th 05, 03:42 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:23:23 +1300, Michael Brown wrote:

I think with the K8, or any HT-based system, the terms northbridge and
(and possibly southbridge as well) can't really be used. You just have a
daisy-chained series of devices. For example, the ALi "northbridge" is
nothing more than an hypertransport tunnel with an AGP interface (in fact
it's just a rebadged AMD 8151, which is called a "Hypertransport AGP
tunnel" by AMD). The SiS and Via "nortbridges" are pretty much the same
thing feature-wise, though also feature a interconnect translater (to
VLink to Mutiol).

There's only one difference between the K8 and previous x86 cpu's
conserning the northbridge, and that's that the memory controller has been
moved off the northbridge and onto the cpu. This along with the cpu's
extra HT links is what enhances performance in both single and multicore
systems. All other functions of the standard north/south bridge system are
still there. They still use the same achitecture, etc. It's just they have
a faster system bus because the system bus is now an HT link bus. So what
is the system bus? It's just another name for FSB and it does the same
thing as the FSB in previous K6, K7, etc cpu's except for the memory
controllers. It controls IO to all other external devices through the
north/south bridge, with the exception of memory. This includes AGP, PCI,
PCI-E, mouse/keyboard, and whatever else the chipset manufacturer wants to
pack into it, generally called the feature set. The chipset manufactures
have not changed the name of these devices to confuse people. And that
keeps it simple, and I agree. OTOH, many people now think the K8 doesn't
have a FSB when in fact the name FSB name has just been dropped in favor
of calling it just the system bus, which is fine with me as it was also
called this in the K7 series if you get right down to it. So in the K7 the
cpu, connected to all other devices through the FSB to the northbridge and
then the southbridge (including system ram). The K8 does the exact same
thing with these exceptions. The memory and only the memory connects
direct to the cpu instead of the northbridge. That they now call the FSB
only the system bus is fine. Even calling it the HT bus/link is fine with
me too as long as everyone realizes that there can be more than one HT
link in a system, serving totally different functions. System bus is much
more specific. And since the chipset manufacturers decided not to change
what they call the chipset (northbridge/southbridge) who am I to argue
with them. It only makes sense to me. The fact that the system bus is now
serial instead of parelell really has doesn't matter to me. It's still the
system bus only much faster using a different architechture.

While we may never agree on this terminology it's what it is, and I hope
others lurking will learn something from this thread.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old February 11th 05, 10:33 AM
DougH

SiS755
( North Bridge Chipset )
SiS Chipset Supports AGP8X for AMD Athlon 64 Platform

http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets...hlon64/755.htm

SIS calls their link between the north adn south Multitol. VIA, something
else and others yet something else. It's still a seperate bus in any case.

Interesting. Wes, has your computer been complaining to you lately?
According to SIS, they have Hypertransport *complaint* bus driver
technology. lol

DougH

Question relating to 754 Socket and the 939 socket Midnight Moocher AMD x86-64 Processors 6 January 11th 05 07:49 PM
Socket 939 Choices? Peter van der Goes AMD x86-64 Processors 4 November 27th 04 05:21 AM
Athlon 64 queries Spiro AMD x86-64 Processors 11 September 19th 04 01:30 AM
High Temps Willi General 3 September 9th 04 05:31 PM
"Socket A" vs "Socket 478" (Amd vs Intel) Minstro General 13 March 26th 04 10:59 PM