8IHXP STR issue with f8 bios

Old September 23rd 03, 06:22 PM
~Von

Default 8IHXP STR issue with f8 bios

Answering my own question and posting FWIW under a more relevant subject.

It turns out my trouble getting my 8IHXP out of STR was in fact related to
the f8 bios. When I reverted back to f7, STR now works perfectly. This is
one of those cases where I should have just left the bios alone as I am only
running a 2.4 and all that f8 adds is HT support. In addition, when I
flashed the bios back to f7, and then reset the bios settings to what they
were in f8, the raid array that the xp system boots to worked fine as well.
I was happy that I didn't need to apply the ghost of that drive.

From: ~Von )
Subject: 8IHXP bios flash f8 to f7: destroy raid 0 array?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Date: 2003-08-15 18:41:23 PST

There was a post earlier today regarding STR trouble with f8 bios on the
8IHXP. I too have had no luck getting my system out of S3/STR and I

thought
it was related to any number of changes I made to the system. I eventually
gave up on it until I saw the post titled, "8IHXP Suspend to Ram / Bios

F8".
My trouble could have been been kicked off by my upgrade to f8. I am
tempted to take the system back to f7 however the system boots to a 2-disk
raid 0 array on the on-board promise controller. My concern is that if I
roll back to f7 that I may toast the array. Anyone know if that would be
the case?

Old October 4th 03, 09:09 PM
Ravinder Gill

I've been screaming about this for ages now. I've fired of a few posts in
these forums and I've emailed Gigabyte on a number of occasions regarding
the STR feature not working with the F8 bios but I have heard nothing back.

BTW, what version is your motherboard i.e. is it the V3.0 or earlier? Mine
is V2.? and STR works great with bios F7 and less. However I desperately
need F8 because it corrects an incompatibility issue with my ATI 9700 PRO
and better support my P4 3.06 with Hyperthreading. So come on Gigabyte sort
it out!! This bug as been round since the early part of 2003 and its
annoying as hell when you have to do a complete shutdown/restart instead of
a swift suspend/start. I highly recommend you guys fire off a few emails to
Gigabyte as well becasue the more vocal we become the better the chance of
something happening.