Cheap USB flash drives

Old November 2nd 14, 12:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Jonathan N. Little

Default Cheap USB flash drives

Norm X wrote:
"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote

USB and USB flash are too vulnerable to full volume loss.

In 35 years of micro experience, I've never lost an external USB HHD. I did
lose a 32 GB SansDisk microSD flash, but as I said in another post, I
recovered everything using Windows quick format.

And how did you do that? Over the years I have lost just two thumbdrives
and when they failed, they failed suddenly without warning and
catastrophically. And by catastrophically they were not recoginzed by
any system or OS, so how did you "format" something that is not
recognized by the system. In fact the other week I st the library one of
the staff lost one of those 32 GB SansDisk just as I described. Poof! Gone.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Old November 2nd 14, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 20:35:32 -0700, "Norm X" Gave
us:

"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote

USB and USB flash are too vulnerable to full volume loss.

In 35 years of micro experience,

WTF is that? You used to work at a chip fab house?

I've never lost an external USB HHD.

They break *all the time* the connectors break. The connecTION breaks
them (can).

I did
lose a 32 GB SansDisk microSD flash,

"lose"? You mean you performed an act which cause a data loss event.

but as I said in another post, I
recovered everything using Windows quick format.

You are joking if you think that was not a mere fluke. Unless you
really never did have another system reporting it as unreadable. You
may have just not had luck reading it any more *in that session*.

I have lost three 40, 80 and 160 GB internal EIDE hard drives,

12 altogether? That is a large amount.

the last one
after seven years of service. I have one PC with a 3 drive RAID zero storage
array. Since the identical drives are six years old I'm starting to worry.

Do you keep them up 24/7/365 or constantly cycle the power on them?
And what OS is on the machine they are installed in?

The Barracuda warrantee was five years. Windows only runs on internal
drives.

There are ways around everything where a desire exists.

After the 160 GB drive stopped spinning

Hahahaha... cruddy PC chassis internals?

I put a 40 GB into my Dell Inspiron
5100 and run Linuxes on 3 partitions. Linux caused too much thermal stress
on the CPU thermal protection mechanism and the Dell refused to boot after
one month of Linux. There is not much hope for an 11 year old Dell that
won't boot.

Pretty sure that one would have been a CRUD issue too. It just
happened to coincide with you doing drive upgrades and OS installs.

35 years ago I would retire PCs that became obsolete. Now I do the opposite,
I incorporate e-waste into my LAN. I am hoping the medical authorities treat
me the same and keep me alive by all means possible.

Pretty sure certain portions have already rotted.

I have 30 spinning HD drives in this room alone, and 15 more out in
the garage. I have about eight SSDs and about 5 mSATAs and about 20 USB
flash sticks and about 20 micro sd chips.

They fail. Connectors, and the "sockets" they get connected into are
reasons. Especially if there have been a lot of insertion/removal
cycles on the "port" connector. When a data dropout happens on a device
being regarded as a hard drive type storage device... bad things happen.
If it is a "mounted" Linux ext type volume, it become unreadable.
Hopefully your / and boot directories do not reside on it... oops.

Yes... they fail... big time.
Old November 19th 14, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Norm X

USB and USB flash are too vulnerable to full volume loss.

In 35 years of micro experience, I've never lost an external USB HHD. I
did lose a 32 GB SansDisk microSD flash, but as I said in another post, I
recovered everything using Windows quick format.

I have lost three 40, 80 and 160 GB internal EIDE hard drives, the last
one after seven years of service. I have one PC with a 3 drive RAID zero
storage array. Since the identical drives are six years old I'm starting
to worry. The Barracuda warrantee was five years. Windows only runs on
internal drives.

After the 160 GB drive stopped spinning I put a 40 GB into my Dell
Inspiron 5100 and run Linuxes on 3 partitions. Linux caused too much
thermal stress on the CPU thermal protection mechanism and the Dell
refused to boot after one month of Linux. There is not much hope for an 11
year old Dell that won't boot.

35 years ago I would retire PCs that became obsolete. Now I do the
opposite, I incorporate e-waste into my LAN. I am hoping the medical
authorities treat me the same and keep me alive by all means possible.

I am not infallible. It turns out my 11 year old Dell was not dead, only
sick. Maybe I mistook it for dead because of wishful thinking. I hope that
does not happen to me, personally. However, it is public policy to encourage
the death of old people - Right to Die legislation.

I forgot to mention an 8 GB Intel PATA SSD inside my Acer Aspire One that
took five years to die a slow and (for me inconvenient) death. But I
restored the netbook to robust health with a 32 GB SuperTalent 1.3'' IDE ZIF
SSD, on which I write this. Sometimes I confuse myself with some kind of
super beneficent computer God.