Need driver help

Old February 3rd 11, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Need driver help

Doomed Soul wrote:
That's only for video cards as far as I know.

So does the DVD drive not work at all?

OK I've been reading the internal tutes("Using Removable Media") as
much as possible. I been tinkering around and this is what I got.

Right now if insert a cd with .cda Exaile player comes up and shows
music list in sidebar and if I drag it over to the main window it
plays the songs. That's a huge relief. Now I know I have sound and the
OS sees the drive.
Now if I put in a cd with .mp3 files on it I get an error

alert (Failed to mount "UDF Volume"
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /
dev/sr0, missing codepage or helper program, or
other error In some cases useful info is found in
syslog - try dmesg | tail or so .)

If I put a dvd in a movie player pops up and says "could not read you
don't have nessesary plugins bla bla."

I haven't read through all responces yet, just thought it would be a
good idea to update behavior.

And thanks for the instructions on installing the flash plugins. I see
you posted link to the actual 64 bit versions. Thats a big help but I
do have a couple questions about the process of un zipping and
installing. Right now I'm going to consentrate getting hardware
functional and I'll get back to that one. My Feeble little mind can
only handle one problem at a time. lol
Thanks,
Doomed Soul

Keep your search engine fired up. The fun never stops in Linux land.
Use the name of your movie player, and look for bugs related to it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tem/+bug/41335

To check out a CD with unknown file system on it, go to package manager
and find a copy of "disktype". (Using Synaptic Package Manager, means
you don't have to compile from source, and installation is a click of
a button plus a download.)

http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

In a terminal window, try

sudo disktype /dev/cdrom

while the CD is in the drive. The program will tell you what flavor of UDF
is on there. Then you can go read up on what flavors of UDF that Linux
supports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...rating_systems

The most disappointing part of using some of the distros, is there
is so much old and stale advice out there. You can spend hours sorting
through it, to get your recent distro to work.

An alternative solution, is to try another distro, such as Linux Mint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_mint

"Linux Mint also includes some proprietary software, such as the
Adobe Flash plugin, and uses a Linux kernel that contains binary blobs."

Now, maybe you can see why I test these in Virtual Machines, just to
separate the distros into "good" and "bad" ones :-)

Paul
Old March 8th 11, 11:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Christen Alex

Doomed Soul wrote:
I just formated a HP Compaq dc5700 (small form) buisness comp and
Installed Xubuntu on it. I am finding out that getting drivers for
this thing isn't as straite forward as windows. I went to HP site and
(no suprise) no support for linux there. I tried the internal search
for drivers tool and it came up blank. Also, once I find drivers I'll
have to learn how to install them. I know I'm going to have to learn
unix cmd line. A really good tute on all this would be nice. I'm doing
some searching on my own but If someone has a favorite tute to suggest
for beginners and where to find drivers. One that can pretty much
spoon feed me at first till I get the hang of it.

Thanks,
Doomed Soul

You can't download drivers for Linux you have to write them yourself
because Linux isn't for beginners but for smart people.
Old March 8th 11, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
FooAtari[_5_]

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:24:48 +0000, Christen Alex wrote:

Doomed Soul wrote:
I just formated a HP Compaq dc5700 (small form) buisness comp and
Installed Xubuntu on it. I am finding out that getting drivers for this
thing isn't as straite forward as windows. I went to HP site and (no
suprise) no support for linux there. I tried the internal search for
drivers tool and it came up blank. Also, once I find drivers I'll have
to learn how to install them. I know I'm going to have to learn unix
cmd line. A really good tute on all this would be nice. I'm doing some
searching on my own but If someone has a favorite tute to suggest for
beginners and where to find drivers. One that can pretty much spoon
feed me at first till I get the hang of it.

Thanks,
Doomed Soul

You can't download drivers for Linux you have to write them yourself
because Linux isn't for beginners but for smart people.

??

That's a load of rubbish if ever I saw it. There are plenty vendors out
there who have linux drivers for their hardware. And of course, plenty
that don't unfortunately.

--
Organ and Blood Donation saves lives. Register Now
www.uktransplant.org www.scotblood.co.uk