How much details and far can I go with a Radeon 9800 Pro. with 128 MB?

Old April 11th 04, 02:25 AM

Default How much details and far can I go with a Radeon 9800 Pro. with 128 MB?

I was just reading
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33751308 thread
about playing UT2K4 with a very high details you'll need a 256MB VGA
card!

Can someone please kindly explain how the math work for combinations
of video settings and resolutions? How high and far can I go with my
ATI Radeon Pro AIW with 128 MB of RAM? I mostly use 1152x864
resolution, 32-bit, anisotropic at 16X (max), 2x FSAA, quality, and
many other stuff I like to max out. If there is not enough video
memory, what happens? Does the game start using HDD, get choppy, etc.?
If not, then what types of symptoms show up (e.g., graphic
corruptions)?

Is there an utility to watch/log how much video memory is being used
in the video card? My system configuration can be found he
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ...

Thank you in advance.
--
"You'd think we could just attract ants like normal people."
--Wolverine (X-Men:TAS)
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
( ) list.
Old April 11th 04, 09:27 PM
Dark Avenger

wrote in message ...
[...]

Don't worry... Directx and the videocard drivers will take care of
everything. Really... only 2d can be calculated ..because 3d depends
on the quality of the textures, the vision of depth..the number of
players/items in the game.

So just leave all that to the drivers/directx...if your card has 128Mb
....it will ensure the games run at that.. if your card has 64Mb ..it
will ensure the games run at such ... and so on!
Old April 12th 04, 04:29 AM
blah

wrote in message
I was just reading
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33751308 thread
about playing UT2K4 with a very high details you'll need a 256MB VGA
card!

Can someone please kindly explain how the math work for combinations
of video settings and resolutions? How high and far can I go with my
ATI Radeon Pro AIW with 128 MB of RAM? I mostly use 1152x864
resolution, 32-bit, anisotropic at 16X (max), 2x FSAA, quality, and
many other stuff I like to max out. If there is not enough video
memory, what happens? Does the game start using HDD, get choppy, etc.?
If not, then what types of symptoms show up (e.g., graphic
corruptions)?

Is there an utility to watch/log how much video memory is being used
in the video card? My system configuration can be found he
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ...

Thank you in advance.
--
"You'd think we could just attract ants like normal people."
--Wolverine (X-Men:TAS)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
( ) list.

On card memory only affects the size (quality) of the textures that can be
loaded. A high quality texture uses more memory than a low quality texture,
multiply this by the hundreds of textures used in a level and you could work
this out. I did see someone do this for Q3, but can't recall where.
Things like AA and FSAA are done by the processor on the VGA card (assuming
hardware based).
When you run out of on card memory then you start to use AGP aperture memory
(that setting in the BIOS), which is just a bit of your RAM (this slows
things down as well), then the HDD swap file I imagine. Your system would
probably just choke and you FPS drop.
Most benchmarking I have seen you only get 1-2 fps advantage with 256Mb mem.
If you want to know how far you can go just crank up the resolution till it
becomes unplayable :-)
AFAIK FSAA is disabled at 1600*1200, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm sure some of what I wrote is incorrect, but it's just a guide.