Radeon 9600 Poor 3dmark results?

Old August 14th 03, 05:38 PM
Dan Keeley

Default Radeon 9600 Poor 3dmark results?

Hi All,

Just got myself a lovely 128mb ddr radeon 9600 pro, but it's only getting
8300 3dmarks ( 3d mark 2001 SE )

This seems a tad low, At the moment i have standard drivers installed ( Came
on the CD ) OS is XP and Processor is a 2.4ghz P4... Oh, 512mb DDR ram.
(On a 4x AGP Board)

So what do i need to tweak / check? Or am i misreading the results?

It got 2400 in 3dmark03 ...

Cheers,
Dan

Old August 14th 03, 06:51 PM
Kristijan Korazija

Dan Keeley wrote:

So what do i need to tweak / check? Or am i misreading the results?

Maybe you got AF and AA turned on (forced settings at Direct3D tab).
Set it on "Application preference".

--
Korky
--------------------------------

Old August 14th 03, 07:24 PM
Dan Keeley

Ah ha, they were on.
however turning them off lowered the score...

I've now changed a few other settings and running again, got it don to 4000
just then

hehe

once i get the best out of that i'll do the driver then the agp aperature
( if this is configurable ) and then let you guys know where i get

Thanks for the fast responses so far!!!

Rgds,.
Dan

Old August 14th 03, 09:12 PM
Dan Keeley

Hmm, There isnt an AGP aperature setting ! Wish it would hit 10k though!

Weird. Not anything else i can try is there?

Cheers anyway!
Dan

Oh well, i'm up to 8600 with the new drivers at least
"NightSky 421" wrote in message
"Dan Keeley" wrote in message
Hi All,

Just got myself a lovely 128mb ddr radeon 9600 pro, but it's only

getting
8300 3dmarks ( 3d mark 2001 SE )

This seems a tad low, At the moment i have standard drivers installed (

Came
on the CD ) OS is XP and Processor is a 2.4ghz P4... Oh, 512mb DDR

ram.
(On a 4x AGP Board)

So what do i need to tweak / check? Or am i misreading the results?

It got 2400 in 3dmark03 ...

Cheers,
Dan

The scores you are getting are low for a system like that, however, it is
important to make sure that all of your drivers are current. Quite often
drivers that come on a CD are a few versions old by the time you buy the
hardware.

I'm not overclocking in any way right now. When I was running a GeForce3
Ti500 on my 2.26GHz P4 and 512MB PC-2100 CL2 memory, my 3DMark2001 SE

score
was about 8600. That was with the 30.82 drivers that were released a year
ago. Right now I still have the same system but have a Radeon 9800 Pro
128MB video card. My 3DMark2001 SE score is now 12,626. This is with the
Catalyst 3.6 drivers. I have yet to run 3DMark2003 because (1) I'm on a
time-limited dial-up connection, and (2) I'm not so sure how relevant that
benchmark is given all of the score fiddling and patches coming out for

it.
Another trouble with benchmarks is that they have become somewhat of a
****ing match between users as to who has the "fastest" system and a lot

of
people overclock their systems to the maximum extent possible to make

their
scores look good. If people want to overclock, that's fine, I have no
problem with that since I have been known to dabble in it from time to

time
myself (and not for bragging rights!), but it makes it hard for someone
looking at the database to get an idea of what their stock system should
really be scoring.

Also you might want to play with the AGP Aperture in your BIOS. I know
making the jump from 64MB to 128MB in my BIOS improved benchmark scores.

Old August 14th 03, 09:59 PM
Sam

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:38:20 +0100, Dan Keeley wrote:

Hi All,

Just got myself a lovely 128mb ddr radeon 9600 pro, but it's only getting
8300 3dmarks ( 3d mark 2001 SE )

This seems a tad low, At the moment i have standard drivers installed ( Came
on the CD ) OS is XP and Processor is a 2.4ghz P4... Oh, 512mb DDR ram.
(On a 4x AGP Board)

So what do i need to tweak / check? Or am i misreading the results?

It got 2400 in 3dmark03 ...

Cheers,
Dan

With my 9600, I got 3200 with DMark2003 and 3800 with a 9500. No special
settings at all... just the way it came originally. Using Catalyst 3.6
drivers in Windows XP.

Sam
Old August 14th 03, 10:33 PM
O.Phooey

"Dan Keeley" wrote in message ...

r u sure it's not 3dMark 2003 ?

I have the ati sapphire Radeon 9500np softmodded to a 9700, not OC'd.
Before softmod it scored about 10K on 3d mark 2001. After softmod it
went to 12.6K. My GF2Ti 64Mb card came in at about 5K.
Ath 2400+
256Mb mushkin 2100 Hi Perf ram
epox 8kha+
Win98se
rope pull starter......
Old August 14th 03, 11:15 PM
Dan Keeley

hmm, can i "softmod" my 2600? I dont know much about all this....

I played with a bit of overclocking but not done any full runs yet....

I dunno where the problem lies then, but there's clearly something wrong,
maybe it's the motherboard, a rebadged asustek one from HP... With crappy
bios NO OPTIONS AT ALL!!!

"O.Phooey" wrote in message
m...

Old August 15th 03, 10:15 AM
Dan

Ok, i just had a thought, does it make any difference what refresh
rate i run my monitors at?

Also i'm making use of the twin head, does that make a difference?
There's clearly something wrong, and i suspect it's something im
doing, config or a setting somewhere! I hope so anyway!