ATI Wins The XBOX

Old August 14th 03, 03:08 PM
Night Rain

Default ATI Wins The XBOX

Markham, Ontario - ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT) today
announced it has entered into a technology development agreement with
Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT). Under the agreement, ATI is developing
custom, leading-edge graphics technologies for use in future Xbox® products
and services.

"We're combining Microsoft's vision, software experience and R&D resources
with ATI's pioneering leadership in graphics technologies to create
innovative future Xbox products and services that meet the lifestyle needs
of consumers in the Digital Decade," said Robbie Bach, senior vice president
of the Home and Entertainment Division at Microsoft. "We selected ATI after
reviewing the top graphics technologies in development and determining that
ATI's technical vision fits perfectly with the future direction of Xbox."

"Microsoft shares our passion for cutting-edge innovation," said K. Y. Ho,
chairman and chief executive officer, ATI Technologies Inc. "Our success
working with Microsoft in the past gives us great confidence as we move
forward, and our broad experience and wealth of engineering resources will
ensure that we deliver. This agreement cements ATI's position as the prime
graphics supplier for the future of the games industry."

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4678.html

Old August 14th 03, 05:39 PM
Roj

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:08:06 -0400, "Night Rain"
wrote:

Markham, Ontario - ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT) today
announced it has entered into a technology development agreement with
Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT). Under the agreement, ATI is developing
custom, leading-edge graphics technologies for use in future Xbox® products
and services.

Yup - and the gaps becomes greater as they pull away...
--
Roj

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
- Ulysses
Old August 15th 03, 02:23 AM
Radeon350

good for ATI.

I hope they are able to handle both Xbox2 'XGPU-2' and GameCube2
'Flipper-2' without slipping in any other area (like PC graphics).

Old August 15th 03, 06:39 AM

Way to go ATI! I refused to buy nvidia on principle due to the ****ty way
they bought up 3dfx just to kill it and then refused to provide
support/drivers for all the zillions of Voodoo cards they then 'owned' the
rights to.

The news flash I'm waiting to see would go something like:

"ATI buys up the remains, including brand name, of the once all conquering
but now bust nvidia company for 1$. ATI says they will trash the nvidia
brand name because the public don't trust it anymore for obvious reasons,
but will revive the 3dfx brand which they now own and the fantabulous Voodoo
7 Screamer graphics card, an evolution of 3dfx's winning technology, will
ship in a few months. ATI also announced that all future driver sets will
include Glide support for all new and existing 3dfx products."

Eat **** nvidia and I wish you all 10 000 sleepless nights, worrying about
how you are going to catch up with ATI. What goes around comes around.

Old August 15th 03, 01:42 PM
patrickp

wrote in message
[...]

I think that, regardless of the respective evils or virtues of ATi or
NVidia, the competition between them is what fuels better cards, improved
drivers/software and keeps prices down - not to mention the propensity of
large monopolies to dump on their customers from even rarer heights than ATi
or NVidia find themselves able to.

Neither of them is marvellous, and I've never had an NVidia card and don't
plan to. Nevertheless, I sincerely hope NVidia don't go the way of 3DFX;
simply because I don't see ATi responding to a scenario like that in way
that might benefit their customers _at all_.

patrickp