1394 Firewire + DV on A7N8X-E Deluxe + XP?

Old August 3rd 04, 06:54 AM
skookum

Default 1394 Firewire + DV on A7N8X-E Deluxe + XP?

I've seen only a couple of posts anywhere on the net about this problem, but
they're all the same. XP doesn't detect an XP-approved DV cam. No one
seems to have any answers.

I'm getting nowhere trying to get a connection with Digital8 Handycam to
the onboard firewire port. I've tried the 1394a (6-pin) and 1394b (4-pin)
ports, to no avail. I have new Belkin IEEE1394 cables (Sony i.Link
compatible).

The DV cam is a Sony TRV510 (this model is a few years old but on the XP
compatible hardware list)

XP has built-in DV Cam/1394 support, so I just plug in the cam on the 1394
port and the DV is supposed to be
instantly recognized and available. There are no vendor-specific drivers
for different cams.

Could the Asus 1394 drivers (I think the Asus haedware is Realtek PHY 8801B
1394 components) be the problem? I don't see any mention of them in the
SystemHardware, just Microsoft 1394 drivers. I installed all the Asus stuff
for the motherboard, but didn't see anything about 1394 except the 1394
internet connection support (I think this had an Asus-supplied driver).

There's a new Asus BIOS (1011) that doesn't sound like it has any 1394 fix.
I have not tried it.

Anyway, I tried adding in a SIIG 3-port 1394 (6-pin) card--I've used this
card with this cam on several other Windows machines and it worked fine, but
in this case it doesn't work.

I've been trying to get a connection with a bunch of different software
(uSoft's new MovieMaker 2.0
for XP, Ulead 8, Windows Media Encoder, ... Then I tried it all again on
Win2k (this Siig card and cam worked on 2K before), and ... nothing.

Old August 3rd 04, 08:07 AM
Ken Maltby

"skookum" wrote in message
[...]

While the A7N8X-E Deluxe defaults to "Auto" in the BIOS you
might want to check if it could have gotten set to "Disable" somehow.

What is showing in the Device Manager?

Luck;
Ken

Old August 3rd 04, 09:14 AM
Lil' Dave

Can only relate to you how I did same with JVC digital camcorder on a WinMe
system.
First I installed the firewire card, and verified all was well in windows
for firewire in device manager.
Then, I installed DirectShow. This required as you're getting raw video
from the camcorder.
Then, using ULead VideoStudio, had to select directshow, then the camcorder
itself. You have to have the camcorder powered on while doing this and
connected via firewire.

Old August 3rd 04, 09:28 PM
Skookum

It is "AUTO" for 1394 in the BIOS, though I've turned it off and back on,
and uninstalled it in the System manager and let PnP re-install it. System
manager reports the 1394 details as:

"OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller",
on "PCI Bus 0, device 13, function 0",

Signed drivers are 7/1/2001 (ver 5.1.2535.0):

1394bus.sys,
ohci1394.sys,
enum1394.sys,
nic1394.sys, and
arp1394.sys.

I have installed the Microsoft update to enum1394.sys, which they say was
having problems enumerating 1394 devices--no change. I'm not sure that this
isn't just for Firewire networking anyway...

I am using XP SP1, BTW.

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...

Old August 3rd 04, 09:37 PM
Skookum

Hmmm.

I installed DirectX 9.0--I believe it said it cannot be removed from the
system. I don't see any sign of DirectShow in the Add/Remove Programs
applet.

Searching MS for Directshow turns up links that no longer go anywhere.
hmmm.

ink.net...

Old August 4th 04, 06:13 AM
Eggman

Exactly the same problem here. Prior to A7N8X-E Deluxe MB upgrade no
problem autodetecting camera via PCI firewire card. However, after I
upgraded and rebuilt my system, no detection either using the onboard
firewire or PCI card. I have tried both onboard and PCI individually
and together and neither can detect either of my 2 sony DV video
cameras.

I had done a clean WinXP install and accepted all updates from Windows
Update site
I have verified 1394 is set to "auto" in BIOS
I tried a new cable
I have tried the latest BIOS upgrade and reverted back to old BIOS
I have cleared CMOS
I have tried diabling onboard 1394 and using PCI card alone
I have verified NVMAC and NVGUID as per this post
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150240
I have run this 1394 filter suggested in previous posts
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/TRE...394_filter.zip

System:
Athlon XP 2500+ (no overclocking)
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MB
1G Samsung RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT All-In-Wonder video card

Any other ideas out there?

"Skookum" wrote in message ...
Hmmm.

I installed DirectX 9.0--I believe it said it cannot be removed from the
system. I don't see any sign of DirectShow in the Add/Remove Programs
applet.

Searching MS for Directshow turns up links that no longer go anywhere.
hmmm.

ink.net...

Old August 5th 04, 09:58 AM
Gordon Scott

skookum wrote:

[...]

Is the firewire adapter seen and enabled in your network connections
dialogue?
Old August 9th 04, 04:16 AM
Eggman

Gordon Scott wrote in message ...
skookum wrote:

[...]

Yes, In my case, I have 2 1394 connections enabled under netwoek connections
Old September 1st 04, 09:04 PM
njlamber

Has anyone figured this problem out...i could not get my onboard
firewire port to recognize my Canon Elura65 at all....nothing...it is
enabled and drivers are installed like the posts above???

PLEASE HELP!!!