PSU - number of connectors?

Old January 30th 04, 03:44 AM
Falo

Default PSU - number of connectors?

I recently bought a second hard drive. When I was to install it, I
discovered that there weren't any power connectors left, so I had to unplug
my CD burner in order to make room for the HD (Now I have two HD:s and a
DVD-burner). Is there an easy way to add extra connectors to the PSU? Maybe
some kind of Y-splitter that you plug into a connector to get two?

Also, when I buy a new PSU, should I assume that the more powerful, the more
connectors? If not, can you recommend a good PSU that has at least 6
connectors? How powerful should the PSU be if I wanted to run, let's say,
two DVD-drives and 4 HD:s?

Old January 30th 04, 04:51 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Falo" wrote in message
I recently bought a second hard drive. When I was to install it, I
discovered that there weren't any power connectors left, so I had to

unplug
my CD burner in order to make room for the HD (Now I have two HD:s and a
DVD-burner). Is there an easy way to add extra connectors to the PSU?

Maybe
some kind of Y-splitter that you plug into a connector to get two?

You can buy the Y connectors wherever better computers are sold. All wires
that carry the same voltage connect to the same place inside the supply box.

Old January 30th 04, 06:44 AM
kony

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:44:38 GMT, "Falo" wrote:

I recently bought a second hard drive. When I was to install it, I
discovered that there weren't any power connectors left, so I had to unplug
my CD burner in order to make room for the HD (Now I have two HD:s and a
DVD-burner). Is there an easy way to add extra connectors to the PSU? Maybe
some kind of Y-splitter that you plug into a connector to get two?

Also, when I buy a new PSU, should I assume that the more powerful, the more
connectors? If not, can you recommend a good PSU that has at least 6
connectors? How powerful should the PSU be if I wanted to run, let's say,
two DVD-drives and 4 HD:s?

It's true to a certain extent, that a more powerfull supply will have
more connectors, but basically it boils down to the number of leads...
real cheap or low-capacity PSU may have only two leads, with 3-4
"drive" connectors, but most mid-range units now have 3 leads, 5 or
more connectors, while some have even more leads or connectors.

We cannot speculate about the wattage of power supply you need
without futher details about your system. The motherboard (which
voltage rail is used for CPU power) the CPU, video card, amount of
memory (& number of modules) can all come into play, or rather,
determine how much 5V capacity is needed, and how much 12V capacity is
remaining for the HDDs to spin-up at power on, that time when they
consume the most power.

If you have a P4 CPU, or Athlon motherboard using 12V for CPU (obvious
by the inclusion of the 4-pin ATX12V connector on the motherboard,
then you ought to have around 15A+ 12V power, 18-20 would be even
better but not necessary.

With a P3, or most Athlons using 5V for CPU power, you could get by
with as small as a 250W PSU (from a good name-brand), or with a
relatively demanding video card you might need 300-350W, that is, a
combined 3V + 5V rating of 200-235W would be the ballpark for a good
unit.

For the time being, you most likely just need a Y-splitter or two.
The cheapest place I know of to get those is SVC.COM:
http://www.svcompucycle.com/4pinpowsupmo.html
Old January 30th 04, 04:06 PM
Falo

"kony" skrev i meddelandet

For the time being, you most likely just need a Y-splitter or two.
The cheapest place I know of to get those is SVC.COM:
http://www.svcompucycle.com/4pinpowsupmo.html

Thanks for the explanation. Another question; I followed the above link and
read this: "This adaptor has two female connectors and one male connector.
It will connect two fans to the power supply, or alternatively, one fan and
one drive."

Does that mean that I can't connect two drives to the same splitter? If so,
I won't have much use for it, because the only fan I have is the CPU fan,
and it takes it power from a connector at the motherboard.

Old January 30th 04, 07:57 PM
Ralph Mowery

Thanks for the explanation. Another question; I followed the above link
and
read this: "This adaptor has two female connectors and one male connector.
It will connect two fans to the power supply, or alternatively, one fan

and
one drive."

Does that mean that I can't connect two drives to the same splitter? If

so,
I won't have much use for it, because the only fan I have is the CPU fan,
and it takes it power from a connector at the motherboard.

Make sure it has all 4 wires connected to the pins and if so , you can
connect anything you want to the adaptror. Two drives will be fine.