BIOS screen bypassed during boot up

Old November 26th 04, 06:12 AM
Papa

Default BIOS screen bypassed during boot up

I just built a new computer consisting of a Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0
motherboard, 512 MB of memory, an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU, etc.. The OS is
Windows XP Pro.

The system boots up just fine, and all of the Windows functions perform OK.
When I first power the system up, I get the motherboard splash screen.
However, the next screen I see is the Windows XP screen. The BIOS screen
never appears.

The BIOS screen is usually loaded with useful information, and I would like
to see this info. Is there some way to make the BIOS screen appear during
boot up?

In case some of you misunderstood my post, I am not talking about getting
into CMOS. That is easy. All I have to do is press the DEL key early in the
boot process. Also, my CMOS has no function listed that can enable or
disable the splash screen or the BIOS screen, and I have installed (flashed)
the most recent BIOS version.

Thank you.

Old November 26th 04, 10:29 AM
Thomas Wendell

It's in the BIOS alright. Usually it's called Silent Boot under Advanced
Options/Settings. Disable that and the normal BIOS screen should come up...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Papa" kirjoitti viestissä
ink.net...

Old November 26th 04, 05:46 PM
Papa

"Thomas Wendell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Tom.

Yes, you would think so, but I had already looked there (and all of the
other CMOS pages as well, and such a parameter (or anything remotely
resembling it) is just not there. The Advanced page lists the following:

Quick Boot. I tried both the Enabled and Disabled settings. The only
difference I can see is that when it is disabled the boot takes a little
longer, but no BIOS screen appears.

The other Advanced page items a

1St boot device, 2nd boot device, 3rd boot device, Try another boot device,
S.M.A.R.T. Enabled, Num-Lock, Floppy Drive Swap, Floppy Drive Seek, Password
Check, Boot to OS/2, L2 Cache, System Boot Cacheable (it is enabled),
Graphic Window size, SDRAM Timing by SPD, SDRAM CAS# Latency, SDRAM Bank
Interleave, Auto Detect DIMM CLK, and Spread Spectrum.

Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I already
tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen from
appearing.

Regards.

Old November 26th 04, 08:46 PM
Bass

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "Papa" wrote:

Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I already
tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen from
appearing.

Regards.

Try pressing the pause key and see it anything shows up. You should be
able to disable that Soyo splash screen in the bios too. That might be
causing it. Or it could be just a vid card issue.
Old November 26th 04, 09:19 PM
Martin G.1.0

Try hitting the Esc key when you see the motherboard splash screen.

Old November 26th 04, 09:51 PM
Papa

Thanks, tried it. Causes a boot error.

"Martin G.1.0" wrote in message
ng.com...
Try hitting the Esc key when you see the motherboard splash screen.

Old November 26th 04, 10:02 PM
Papa

"Bass" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "Papa" wrote:

Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I
already
tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen from
appearing.

Regards.

Try pressing the pause key and see it anything shows up. You should be
able to disable that Soyo splash screen in the bios too. That might be
causing it. Or it could be just a vid card issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, all pressing the Pause key does
is to freeze the splash screen, and there is nothing obvious in the CMOS for
disabling the splash screen. The CMOS Advanced page does not have any
mention at all of the splash screen, or anything even remotely related to
it - nor does any of the other CMOS pages. As far as the video card is
concerned, I don't see how that has anything to do with it. The monitor
displays everything there is to display already.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the BIOS screen does appear,
but appears and disappears so fast that I don't see it. After the splash
screen appears, there are a couple of flickers (not static or anything like
that) of the screen before the Windows OS starts loading. Maybe those
flickers was the BIOS screen appearing and disappearing.

Old November 26th 04, 10:42 PM
Martin G.1.0

go into the Advanced BIOS features CMOS Setup Menu and set the Full Screen
LOGO Show Setup option to Disabled

Old November 27th 04, 12:19 AM
Papa

Not possible. Please read my previous posts in this thread.

ng.com...

Old November 27th 04, 01:52 AM
JAD

On an ASUS board the splash and audible system monitor were in the
'Boot sequence' page in the bios....your referring to the POST screen
and the 'splash' of the MB manufacturer is covering it?..

I can't recall what they referred to it as, but I remember it was ill
named and made little sense.

ink.net...