Question about cmos battery and symptoms

Old November 15th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
janger

Default Question about cmos battery and symptoms

Hey all.

My computer started acting up a few days ago and it's driving me crazy
trying to work out the problem.

So for now I just want to ask: Can a bad or flat cmos battery cause
things such as hard disk crash, IDE problems, and maybe even dvd
burner firmware corruption?

Old November 15th 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"janger" wrote in message
Hey all.

My computer started acting up a few days ago and it's driving me crazy
trying to work out the problem.

So for now I just want to ask: Can a bad or flat cmos battery cause
things such as hard disk crash

Define "crash". As most people think of the term, NO. A bad CMOS battery
can cause a hard drive not to be detected on system startup, but that
doesn't mean that the hard drive has crashed. All the data is still there,
but the PC can't access the drive.

, IDE problems,

That depends on what problems you are talking about. If the system is up
and running (in windows for example) and you are having trouble accessing
IDE hard drives, that's not a CMOS battery problem. A CMOS battery
problem -could- cause all of your IDE drives not to be detected. But in
that case, you'd likely never get the computer to boot into windows.

and maybe even dvd
burner firmware corruption?

Anything can cause anything, but if a CMOS battery caused DVD burner
firmware corruption, it would be the first such case I've ever heard of.

I'll go out on a limb here and state (based on your questions) that you are
probably dealing with a power supply problem or a mainboard problem not
related to the CMOS battery. But replacing the CMOS battery won't hurt
anything. Try clearing CMOS settings while you are at it. -Dave

Old November 15th 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"janger" wrote in message
Hey all.

My computer started acting up a few days ago and it's driving me crazy
trying to work out the problem.

So for now I just want to ask: Can a bad or flat cmos battery cause
things such as hard disk crash, IDE problems, and maybe even dvd
burner firmware corruption?

First symptom of a dead CMOS battery is a 'checksum error' followed by a
'hit (some key) to enter setup' message.
Sounds like a PSU problem or maybe a loose (or damaged) ribbon cable.

Old November 15th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob M

janger wrote:

Hey all.

My computer started acting up a few days ago and it's driving me crazy
trying to work out the problem.

So for now I just want to ask: Can a bad or flat cmos battery cause
things such as hard disk crash, IDE problems, and maybe even dvd
burner firmware corruption?

Give us some more information about your system. I recently had 2
different Asrock 939 Dual Sata II boards cause the same problems you are
having. The boards would work fine for a month or so and then the system
would show the problems you are having. I replaced the board with an
Epox. My system has been stable since I did it 3 months ago.

Bob

Battery dyeing question MZB Dell Computers 1 November 1st 06 05:55 PM
CMOS battery? Noozer General 2 November 1st 06 04:10 AM
CMOS battery? Mike Walsh General 0 November 1st 06 12:19 AM
a8v deluxe: won't post/cmos error/losing bios settings? idiotprogrammer Asus Motherboards 2 May 11th 06 03:03 PM
cmos battery (continued) philo General 3 May 14th 04 01:13 AM