Really WEIRD problem!

Old April 10th 04, 11:57 PM
TMack

Default Really WEIRD problem!

System
Radeon 9500
Soltek sl75drv5 (KT333) motherboard
OS - Win2k SP3

Reinstalled win2k and installed Radeon Omega 4.4 drivers

Problem - 3d games like UT2003 seem to run fine. Aquamark runs fine. BUT
if I try to run 3DMark 2001 the little splash screen appears - then slowly
pulses into corrupted colours follwed by greying out - this cycles
repeatedly and indefinitely at about 2 second intervals. If I press escape
the 3DMark screen appears normally but if I try to run any of the benchmarks
the system hangs. If I try ctrl-alt-del I get to the task manager initial
screen - if I select task manager it appears but mouse won't work and
keyboard doesn't work properly so I can't stop 3DMark - only way out is a
re-set. I have tried a reformat - reinstall with the same result. This is
weird enough - but the kicker is that if I try using the old hard disk which
still has the previous installation of win2k on it it will run 3DMark with
no problem!!!! This indicates a software problem but I'm damned if I can
work out what it is. Even a minimal install of OS plus graphics card and
drivers gives the same problem and it also occurred when I tried earlier
catalyst drivers. Same problem also occurs with 3DMark 2000!

Unfortunately the old installation has another problem with its network
settings that I can't resolve (try to install any NIC and it fails saying it
can't find a file but doesn't say which file can't be found - googling this
problem suggests that it is pretty well impossible to sort out) so I can't
simply transfer this to the new disk. Basically I'm stumped.

Anyone got any ideas - this one has me baffled!

Tony

Old April 11th 04, 03:36 AM
Ken Maltby

"TMack" wrote in message
[...]

I know it is unfair, I know it is unjust, I know it is all
Bill Gates fault; but the gaming world has moved on to
XP. (It never really was all that supportive of w2k.)

Luck;
Ken

Old April 11th 04, 04:30 AM
JLC

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...

"TMack" wrote in message
[...]

Then you must also know that it is absolutely pointless to make this type of
comment. I ran '2000pro for 2 years as my main gaming platform and never had
one problem with it. Do you really think there is that much difference
between XP and '2000?
I got news for you, there's not. especially when it comes to gaming.

As for the problem at hand. This is a very strange problem indeed. The only
thing that I can figure is that somehow the install of 3DMark got messed up.
Now why even the '2000 ver doesn't work is really baffled. Now have you done
a clean install of '2000 after you had this problem? I'm just wondering
because if you had and it still messed up after you installed the program
fresh then I sure don't have a clue. Now if you haven't and just keep
uninstalling and re installing 3DMark try this. Try installing the program
over the top of the one that works on the old drive, or just install it to
the old drive. See what that does. Are you sure you have installed your MB
drivers since this is clean install? And I know that the other games work,
but maybe try and reinstall DX9 just to make sure all is right on that
score.
I also want to comment on your NIC card problem. I had the same problem
with my install of 2000. It seems that sometimes 2000 will recognize and let
me install my NIC card and sometimes it wouldn't. I re installed 2000 4
times and 2 out of those times it didn't want to install my NIC card. What I
had to do to get it to work was just keep trying, over and over tell finally
it would work. I always found it worked better to try and install from
Device Manager, not the wizard that comes up after boot. Did you get the
card to install with you new install? Anyway post back and let us know how
it's going, I'd really like to know how you fix this problem. Good Luck! JLC

Old April 11th 04, 11:28 PM
TMack

"TMack" wrote in message

SNIP!

After yet another format/reinstall I narrowed it down to my sitecom pci
pcmcia adapter. When I installed it the problem started again. When I
uninstalled it and removed the card the problem went away. What I still
can't work out is why it worked fine with my previous Win2k installation!

Tony

Old April 12th 04, 04:30 AM
JLC

"TMack" wrote in message

"TMack" wrote in message

SNIP!

After yet another format/reinstall I narrowed it down to my sitecom pci
pcmcia adapter. When I installed it the problem started again. When I
uninstalled it and removed the card the problem went away. What I still
can't work out is why it worked fine with my previous Win2k installation!

Tony

Well at lest you got it figured out! JLC