generic printer drivers - what are they?

Old April 21st 05, 07:41 AM

Default generic printer drivers - what are they?

HP informed me that the driver for the 990c is the generic driver for the 6100 series. They mentioned
that it's the driver that get's installed for network printer. My question is: I've never heard of this
concept of a generic driver. Is there a list of these along maybe some sort of explanation somewhere?
For example, I hate the driver for my Office Jet T45, I would like to use a lighter weight driver
without all the software and print manager.

Old April 21st 05, 08:04 PM

On 21-Apr-2005, measekite wrote:

I've never heard of this
concept of a generic driver.

It's a generalised, suit as many devices as possible driver,
not optimised for a particular piece of hardware.

With modems you can select a specific USRobotics model,
or go for a generic external 56k modem. In the latter
case you could connect a Zoom, USR, or Microcom
and they would work because they use a common
set of AT control codes.

Linux is mostly generic drivers, since until recently,
and even now, mfrs don't supply Linux drivers. Buy
a digi camera and it won't say Linux on the box,
and many don't say Mac. Had to check this when
buying a camera for my daughter, she has a new
Mac laptop. Found a Pentax that said Mac supported.
Old April 22nd 05, 03:55 AM
Bob Headrick

wrote in message ...
HP informed me that the driver for the 990c is the generic driver for the
6100 series. They mentioned
that it's the driver that get's installed for network printer. My question
is: I've never heard of this
concept of a generic driver. Is there a list of these along maybe some sort
of explanation somewhere?
For example, I hate the driver for my Office Jet T45, I would like to use a
lighter weight driver
without all the software and print manager.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...00302767&lc=en
has a list of generic drivers for various Officejet products including the T45.
Basically the generic driver is just a printer driver that has basic
functionality, often the PCL drivers for the printer model the all-in-one
device was based on.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old April 24th 05, 12:40 AM
Yianni

Bob, I searched the site for alternative drivers for deskjet printers, but I
haven't found the corresponding page. Could you please instruct me?

--

Yianni
(αφαιρέστε τον αριθμό εννιά από το email)

--

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...me=c00302767&l

Old April 24th 05, 05:34 PM
Bob Headrick

"Yianni" wrote in message news:1114299666.30605@athnrd02...
Bob, I searched the site for alternative drivers for deskjet printers, but I
haven't found the corresponding page. Could you please instruct me?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpd04838
has a list of alternative drivers for DeskJet printers. Most DeskJet's support
PCL and the DeskJet 550C driver will work.

Regards,