Computer shows and vendors in Florida?

Old February 2nd 04, 12:51 AM
Anon

Default Computer shows and vendors in Florida?

I'm visiting florida soon and a friend wants me to help him pick out a new
computer. I could build one for him, but really won't have the time. I
wouldn't even think of gettin' a Dell, dude. But I do want it customized,
and I'd like to save him some money. In New England, I'd just go to the
next KGP or NCS computer show and find a decent local vendor to build it
cheap (read: at very low show only prices). But I don't even know who runs
computer shows in Florida.

1) Where do I find online schedules for good computer shows in florida?
(near cape coral, if possible)

2) Could someone recommend some good vendors that I'm likely to see at the
shows?

Thanks for any pointers, -Dave

On hotmail dot com, I am user "junknothankyou"

Old February 2nd 04, 10:30 AM
Dave Navarro

In article m,
says...
I'm visiting florida soon and a friend wants me to help him pick out a new
computer. I could build one for him, but really won't have the time. I
wouldn't even think of gettin' a Dell, dude. But I do want it customized,
and I'd like to save him some money. In New England, I'd just go to the
next KGP or NCS computer show and find a decent local vendor to build it
cheap (read: at very low show only prices). But I don't even know who runs
computer shows in Florida.

1) Where do I find online schedules for good computer shows in florida?
(near cape coral, if possible)

The one company that was doing computer shows in this part of Florida
(Ft Myers/Cape Coral) stopped doing them last year.

The closest shows are up in Tampa (about 2.5 hours drive).

2) Could someone recommend some good vendors that I'm likely to see at the
shows?

Among other things, I repair computers for a living and I can tell you
that there are NO cheap computer stores in this part of Florida. The
"closest" thing to it is Best Buy in Ft Myers which has some good deals
when stuff goes on sale, but you won't find everything on sale at the
same time and they won't build it for you.

You are much better off buying parts on the net before you go and
building it or bringing the parts down south and building it while
you're here.

On two occasions when I've been too lazy to build a system (usually for
a relative), I've picked up a cheap and easy HP system at Best Buy or
the special of the week at Sams Club (a discount wharehouse like
CostCo).

Quite honestly, the savings between building a system yourself and
buying a pre-built at Staples or Office Depot is usually around $100.
Not worth it unless you REALLY need a customized system. And you have
to support it yourself if it's for a friend/relative.

I got really tired of people tech support for everyone in my family and
started getting them name-brand systems with an 800 number they can call
for help.

--Dave
Old February 2nd 04, 01:35 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Mon February 2 2004 5:30 am, Dave Navarro decided to enlighten us with:

Among other things, I repair computers for a living and I can tell you
that there are NO cheap computer stores in this part of Florida. The
"closest" thing to it is Best Buy in Ft Myers which has some good deals
when stuff goes on sale, but you won't find everything on sale at the
same time and they won't build it for you.

Oh... So you're not _THE_ Dave Navarro? Damn... I was hoping to hear juicy
stories about Carmen Elektra... )

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
8:34am up 6 days 23:09, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.14, 0.30

My Windows XP machine uptime:
Something less...

Old February 2nd 04, 06:49 PM
Dave C.

The one company that was doing computer shows in this part of Florida
(Ft Myers/Cape Coral) stopped doing them last year.

The closest shows are up in Tampa (about 2.5 hours drive).

2) Could someone recommend some good vendors that I'm likely to see at

the
shows?

Among other things, I repair computers for a living and I can tell you
that there are NO cheap computer stores in this part of Florida. The
"closest" thing to it is Best Buy in Ft Myers which has some good deals
when stuff goes on sale, but you won't find everything on sale at the
same time and they won't build it for you.

You are much better off buying parts on the net before you go and
building it or bringing the parts down south and building it while
you're here.

Hey, I repair computers for a living also. Thanks for the information.
I'll probably have them order the parts and I'll throw it together when I
get down there. -Dave

Old February 3rd 04, 08:43 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Tue February 3 2004 1:40 am, Dave Navarro decided to enlighten us with:

You would not believe how much e-mail I get from people who hope that
I'm him. I even get women emailing me naked pictures of themselves
before verifying who I am.

Life just sucks, doesn't it? LOL

BTW, you could forward them to me... D

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
3:41pm up 8 days 6:16, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.14, 0.07