XP2400 temperature question

Old September 24th 03, 05:10 PM
Anthony Harris

Default XP2400 temperature question

Hi, I have a GA-7VA motherboard running a XP 2400 with 512 Ram. I have a
nice ventilated case, and was wondering about a case fan to keep things
cool. The following temperature reading I have now:

CPU: Idle = 53 degrees Full load = 62 degrees
System: 33-35 degrees

Are these temperature readings alright or should I install a case fan to
help it. The system is only 3 weeks old. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Old September 24th 03, 07:24 PM
Ben Pope

Anthony Harris wrote:
Hi, I have a GA-7VA motherboard running a XP 2400 with 512 Ram. I have a
nice ventilated case, and was wondering about a case fan to keep things
cool. The following temperature reading I have now:

CPU: Idle = 53 degrees Full load = 62 degrees
System: 33-35 degrees

Not the lowest system temps around... but I guess that depends on room temp.

CPU idling 20°C above system is probably a tad high, a 9°C rise in temp
under load is fine.

Are these temperature readings alright or should I install a case fan to
help it. The system is only 3 weeks old. Thanks in advance.

A case fan should help reduce the system temp a little.

A good thermal interface to the heatsink, or possibly a better heatsink
(larger/copper etc) should help CPU temp.

If the CPU temp is the diode temp, not the socket temp you are by no means
in the danger zone and have no need to worry about the temps. If you wish
to reduce them, you probably can.

Ben

Old September 25th 03, 12:27 AM
edddie

A little bit on the hot side really and during this summer I had to
buy a new case with a couple of fans in the front for the intake one
in the side and a big fan at the rear sucking out.
All this makes the machine sound like a vac cleaner so I got a fan
controller to turn the puppys down when the machine wasnt doing
anything special like games or dvd rippin and stuff.
they work a treat silence at last.
should be alright now the weather is cooled down a bit your temps
should come down to 49 full load and 32-35 system which is about right
!!Eddie

Old September 27th 03, 02:30 AM
BF

My system temp is only 3c to 4c above room temp. I don't know what your room
temp is but unless it is close to 90F in your room I think you need some
case cooling. If it was that warm in the room I don't think I would be using
the computer though.

Old September 27th 03, 09:21 AM
Enter Name Here

My system has an MSI mobo, Athlon XP2400, etc.

My temps are similar to yours. With the room temp at 22C, the CPU idle
temp is 55C, and reaches into the 60's when I'm workin' it, with the
case temp running 35C (no load) to 40C. This is despite having the
correct power supply type (2 fans - one above the CPU), along with 2
case fans. Indeed, I've run the system with the case wide open, at 20C
room temp, and the CPU temp doesn't drop much, if at all.

The CPU has run "hot" since the day I got it, but apparently a BIOS
update for my mobo reduces the reported temps by 10C or so. That tells
me that the sensor isn't very accurate.

What I'm getting at is that the temp sensors vary in quality and
application - the only truly accurate test being bench equipment.

Case fans are always a good idea, though, and make sure you've got the
right power supply type. The bundled AMD cooler is fine, unless you
plan to OC.

"Anthony Harris" wrote in
:

Old September 28th 03, 02:45 AM
S.Heenan

Anthony Harris wrote:
Hi, I have a GA-7VA motherboard running a XP 2400 with 512 Ram. I
have a nice ventilated case, and was wondering about a case fan to
keep things cool. The following temperature reading I have now:

CPU: Idle = 53 degrees Full load = 62 degrees
System: 33-35 degrees

Are these temperature readings alright or should I install a case fan
to help it. The system is only 3 weeks old. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

What is the ambient temperature ? If your case is as well ventilated as you
say, perhaps the temp sensors are not very accurate. At minimum you want one
front intake fan and one rear exhaust, not counting fans in the power supply
or the CPU fan.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

Old October 5th 03, 07:17 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

Mines 42 at the momment.

using a Vantec AeroFlow.

Old October 5th 03, 07:18 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

Ive got a hole cut in the sid eof the case and a cardboard funnel
connected to the cpu fan

reduces the CPu temp by atleast 3 degress.