norton ghost

Old January 13th 05, 06:39 AM
news.new

Default norton ghost

This is the first time I use Norton Ghost. Previously I use Drive Image.
I can install Ghost 9 and do backup on my Win XP without problem. When I
come to restoring the image. I boot the Ghost 9 CD. At the option I select
restore, I get message "This application has failed to start because the
application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix
this problem".

How can I reinstall the application when I am booting from CD?

Old January 13th 05, 03:30 PM
joblack

"news.new" wrote:

This is the first time I use Norton Ghost. Previously I use Drive Image.
I can install Ghost 9 and do backup on my Win XP without problem. When I
come to restoring the image. I boot the Ghost 9 CD. At the option I select
restore, I get message "This application has failed to start because the
application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix
this problem".

How can I reinstall the application when I am booting from CD?

You might try going to the Symantec website. They have a support
page in which you can post questions (you may have to dig to find it).

Old January 13th 05, 07:29 PM
cks

You were lucky. My WinXP w/SP2 does not even boot up after I installed the
Norton Ghost, which came with Norton Systemworks. I have to boot into safe
mode and uninstalled the Norton Ghost to get the WinXP back. I then try to
reinstall the WinXP w/SP2 and all the patches. I will never touch the Norton
Ghost again even it came as free.

Old January 14th 05, 08:39 AM
Kenny

I too had boot problems after installing Ghost. Problem gone after removing
it. Considering going back to Drive Image 7 or Acronis True Image.

--

Kenny

Old January 14th 05, 05:37 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:39:11 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

I too had boot problems after installing Ghost. Problem gone after removing
it. Considering going back to Drive Image 7 or Acronis True Image.

I had the same thing with Ghost 8 (I understand Ghost 9 is a
completely different beast). I had to go to the Norton website and
download a utility to fix the problem. Actually, it was several
programs, because they said "Try this, then this, then this", and the
3rd one worked.

If I hadn't had another PC on the 'net right there, I'd have been out
of luck. No more Ghost for me!

I like True Image because it doesn't have to diddle your boot info to
work. The CD boot is as non-intrusive as you can get, AFAICT.

Old January 18th 05, 04:24 PM
Dave Cohen

Another alternative are offerings from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
You can get imaging, partition management and multi os functionality at a
very reasonable registration fee.
Dave Cohen

Old January 19th 05, 12:50 AM
Rick Hanson

"zero" wrote in message ...

Find ghost 2003 - its very reliable

"Neil Maxwell" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:39:11 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

I too had boot problems after installing Ghost. Problem gone after

removing
it. Considering going back to Drive Image 7 or Acronis True Image.

I had the same thing with Ghost 8 (I understand Ghost 9 is a
completely different beast). I had to go to the Norton website and
download a utility to fix the problem. Actually, it was several
programs, because they said "Try this, then this, then this", and the
3rd one worked.

If I hadn't had another PC on the 'net right there, I'd have been out
of luck. No more Ghost for me!

I like True Image because it doesn't have to diddle your boot info to
work. The CD boot is as non-intrusive as you can get, AFAICT.

I am not a fan of Norton bloat ware but I had great results with Drive Image 7. Ghost 9 is a rework of Drive
Image 7 with the added option of incremental backup. I've been using it for two weeks with no glitches. Have
you tried booting with your Drive Image CD to do a restore? Symantec claims Ghost 9 and Drive Image 7 images
are compatable.

Rick

Old January 19th 05, 04:50 AM
Frank

"news.new" wrote in message
This is the first time I use Norton Ghost. Previously I use Drive Image.
I can install Ghost 9 and do backup on my Win XP without problem. When I
come to restoring the image. I boot the Ghost 9 CD. At the option I select
restore, I get message "This application has failed to start because the
application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may
fix
this problem".

How can I reinstall the application when I am booting from CD?

I long ago gave up on those Symantec Utilities, and all others mostly.
Hell NTBackup does the job for me. Ships with XP.,,,