Laptop noisy hanging

Old April 3rd 11, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Roy[_5_]

Default Laptop noisy hanging

Hello guys!

Just recently my notebook with SSD , 1 gig dedicated graphics and
8gig or RAM suddenly froze up with humming sound that I have to
press the start button to shut it down.
When I pressed the start button again the windows 7 went to repair
mode, then restarted by itself and then run normally after that
The laptop was just running for 15 minutes when it happened so I'm
sure its not overheating.
My internet security was well updated and regularly scanning my PC so
its not malware fault.
I am certain this is a hardware fault but have no idea where it come
from.
I would like to know if anybody here have experience this
thing....with their units and how did they sort it out?
TIA

Roy
Old April 3rd 11, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 4/3/2011 7:12 AM, Roy wrote:
Hello guys!

Just recently my notebook with SSD , 1 gig dedicated graphics and
8gig or RAM suddenly froze up with humming sound that I have to
press the start button to shut it down.
When I pressed the start button again the windows 7 went to repair
mode, then restarted by itself and then run normally after that
The laptop was just running for 15 minutes when it happened so I'm
sure its not overheating.
My internet security was well updated and regularly scanning my PC so
its not malware fault.
I am certain this is a hardware fault but have no idea where it come
from.
I would like to know if anybody here have experience this
thing....with their units and how did they sort it out?
TIA

Roy

What you describe certainly sounds as if it might be an overheating problem
to me. Why are you certain that it isn't? There are only a few things that
will hum in a laptop: cooling fan, hard drive, speaker. Hard drives are not
prone to curing themselves and speakers don't usually hang a system. To me
that leaves the fan. Have you observed the fan spinning and also watched it
increase in speed as the system heats up?

When I see problems like this I verify that the fan is running, the
heatsink(s) are clean, and that they are well-attached to the chips
underneath with proper thermal compound in the proper quantity and in the
correct places.
Old April 3rd 11, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Roy[_5_]

On Apr 3, 9:07*pm, John McGaw wrote:
On 4/3/2011 7:12 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the noise of dedicated NVIDIA graphics fan...( as the
hard drives are all solid state).I suppose......But once this
freezing happens I can't do nothing to stop it short of pressing the
shutdown button for 5 seconds.....
I checked the heat sink is clean and the laptop feels cool as it was
just running for just around 15 minutes when it happened.
What is intriguing is it just sorted it self out and did not
experience it again ....just crossing my fingers it won't happen
again..
Is there a possibility that it might be an outdated drivers?
Old April 4th 11, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 4/3/2011 6:06 PM, Roy wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:07 pm, John wrote:
On 4/3/2011 7:12 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

Few things (beyond honest politicians) are totally impossible. Up-to-date
drivers, especially graphics, are always important especially with
bleeding-edge hardware. Graphics companies seem to overhaul and update
their drivers far more often than most and a graphics driver bug can kill a
system in more ways than most. I really hate problems with seem to cure
themselves since they seldom seem to stay cured for the long term and the
next time they crop up one is left as clueless as the first time.
Old April 9th 11, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_15_]

On 4/3/2011 7:12 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

I told you before (perhaps in another group?) that it's the crappy MLC
drives that your Sony craptop uses in RAID configuration that would cause
you problems.

When was that? A few months back?
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old April 17th 11, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Roy[_5_]

On Apr 9, 9:58*am, "~misfit~" wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Roy wrote:

I told you before (perhaps in another group?) that it's the crappy MLC
drives that your Sony craptop uses in RAID configuration that would cause
you problems.

Look here gay monster...
This problem is already solved by the Sony laptop forum...so your rant
is untimely...
Old April 18th 11, 09:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_15_]

On Apr 9, 9:58 am, "~misfit~" wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Roy wrote:

I told you before (perhaps in another group?) that it's the crappy
MLC drives that your Sony craptop uses in RAID configuration that
would cause you problems.

Look here gay monster...
This problem is already solved by the Sony laptop forum...so your rant
is untimely...

LOL. Must be a busy forum....