CMOS Checksum error (Biostar motherboard)

Old October 7th 03, 05:58 AM
billmurray22

Default CMOS Checksum error (Biostar motherboard)

Hi all,

Building a computer and using a new Biostar M7SUA (M7VKQ Pro)
motherboard. I get the following error on every bootup (right out of
the box):

"CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded. Warning, your CPU has been
changed. Please setup CPU HOST clock in Chipset features setup."

10 seconds after entering CMOS setup, all the words and numbers on the
screen become jumbled and my system locks up. What's more, if I
reboot I get the same error message above and I can't get back into
the CMOS without cracking the case and clearing the CMOS using the
jumper.

Award (BIOS manufacturer) says the above error could be due to a
faulty battery or corrupt CMOS chip--I'm thinking the latter. I'm
waiting to hear back from Biostar, but in the meantime, has anyone
else seen this issue? Or does anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

~Bill

Old October 7th 03, 06:10 AM
LeeB18509

[...]

I had the same thing happen to me. All I was doing was replacing a cpu with
the original that ran in the mobo for a year. Tried a new battery, didn't
help. I think the error can occur when there's something hosed between the
cpu and ram. Anyway, I would get all kinds of different boots, different
cpu speed shown, sometimes I could get in the BIOS, other times not.

All I did was remove the heatsink, recheck everything and reinstall the CPU
and it all went away and ran fine after that. I guess it just didn't like
the way it was sitting in the socket. Weird...HTH.

Old October 7th 03, 07:08 PM
billmurray22

"LeeB18509" wrote in message .. .
[...]

Thanks for the replies, I will try those suggestions--for some reason
removing the heatsink and reseating the CPU sounds very promising.
Any other ideas from anyone else?
Old October 15th 03, 03:59 PM
Andrew

CHECK the CMOS settings for your MEMORY's speed! I have a M7VIZ and an
running the 1800+ (a 266 CPU) with DDR333 memory. The "optimal" CMOS
setting sets up 333 but the CMOS gets funky and booting is unreliable. Once
I set the DRAM to 133 it's running STABLE!!!

Andrew

[...]

CMOS Checksum Error - Press F1 to Continue or DEL to enter set-up.......... Brian Mahan General 7 November 13th 04 11:23 AM
A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
CMOS Checksum error - to all those that lent a hand - Thanks! Lee Homebuilt PC's 0 June 27th 03 12:47 PM