What is firewire?

Old June 24th 03, 11:31 AM
mgred

Default What is firewire?

Can somebody give me an overview on what firewire is and how does it differ
from USB? I have a friend who wants to use his video camera as a web cam
and said he wants to use firewire. How would someone do this?

Kevin

Old June 24th 03, 01:18 PM
Mikhaël

Hello Kevin,

Firewire (Apple name) = Ilink (Sony name) = IEEE 1394 (Technical name)
It's the connection you found on every DV camera

Speed of native Firewire is 400 Mbps/s (exist in 800 mbps version)
Faster to USB 1.0 but equivalent to USB 2.0

It can be used on PC for :
Connecting DV camera
Connecting Industrial 1394 camera
Connecting Firewire Hard Drive
Connecting Firewire webcam

See http://www.1394ta.org/About/products..._products.html

FireWire vs. USB; Apple and Intel Play Hardball :

But I sugest your friend to buy an USB webcam because I' think it's cheaper
and easier ...

Mike (France)
http://www.webcam-montblanc.com
http://www.webcam-chambery.com

Old June 24th 03, 02:05 PM
Benoît Morrissette

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:18:53 +0200, "Mikhaël" wrote:

Mike (France)
http://www.webcam-montblanc.com
http://www.webcam-chambery.com

Red letters over the dark wood background are VERY difficult to read for
colorblind people, about 10% of the population...

Do you know the webmaster? Can you do something about that?

Thanks!
Old June 24th 03, 05:36 PM
evolve

"Noël" wrote in message

One small extra thing... USB 2.0 is one way "simplex" at 400 Mbps/s and

IEEE
1394 both way's "full duplex" at 400 Mbps/s

As far as I am aware IEEE1394 is half-duplex i.e. bidirectional, a node may
either transmit or receive at a given time, but not do both simultaneously.
This is (very loosely) similar to the way USB works, which matches
half-duplex best of the three usual terms, though strictly speaking is a bus
with a logical star topology.

I don't know the details, but I've heard there is a more modern version of
1394 in the wings with a higher data rate, which might also offer full
duplex operation - perhaps someone here knows more details?

Of course, in the context of webcams this is a moot point, unless someone
can think of a reason to send a lot of data to a webcam! )

Phil

Old June 28th 03, 05:30 PM
Machete

"mgred" wrote in message
Can somebody give me an overview on what firewire is and how does it

differ
from USB? I have a friend who wants to use his video camera as a web cam
and said he wants to use firewire. How would someone do this?

Kevin

Sounds like you're up to no good! Let us know how it goes. heh heh

Firewire harddrive speeds Erwin R. Leijen General 1 October 1st 04 02:09 PM
USB/USB-2 How can I tell? Chris Mayers General 30 May 16th 04 12:36 AM
USB 2.0 and firewire Augustus General 1 January 17th 04 07:41 PM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe: Warning, onboard Firewire may have fried my components, details inside... Z Man Asus Motherboards 9 December 11th 03 03:34 PM
Onboard Firewire and ati a7nx8 deluxe J.Clarke Ati Videocards 2 November 27th 03 09:13 PM