P4PE & integrated Promise PDC20376 - Compability problems?

Old April 13th 04, 02:38 PM
Timo Rauta

Default P4PE & integrated Promise PDC20376 - Compability problems?

Hi,

I just bought a new Seagate harddrive, Barracuda 7200.7 (SATA). Before I
started to use it, I tried to diagnose whether it was error-free by using
Seatools diagnostic software from Seagate.

Both the online and diskette version of the Seatools software caused my
system to lock up very often, however, I managed to run both long and short
DST (Drive Self-Test). The drive passed the DST. Still, I'm wondering what
caused so many crashes within the Seatools software. Could it be
incompability with the Promise PDC20376 RAID/SATA-controller?

I emailed to Seagate techical support about the issue, and this is what they
replied:

"As for Seatools, this could be because of the SATA controller drivers -
please check with your SATA controller manufacturer to make sure you have
the most up-to-date drivers for your controller."

Of course, the Windows drivers have nothing to do with the diskette-version
of Seatools software. And I also have the latest BIOS in my P4PE (rev. 1007)
So there is nothing I can do about the drivers or BIOS. They're newest ones.

My drive seems to function ok in Windows use, although it's making a bit
loud noise when seeking. But I really have lost my confidence to the drive,
since the Seatools utility keeps crashing.

Now my million dollar question is, whether the Seatools crashes are caused
by faulty drive, or Seatools incompability with Promise PDC20376. If you
have any experience with Seagate SATA-harddrives in PDC20376 controller, I'd
like to hear 'em.