HELP, SATA Hard Disk

Old September 12th 03, 06:59 AM
YKK

Default HELP, SATA Hard Disk

Help! I bought a new set of computer using SATA 80GB hard disk and found
the following problem:

1. boot up with Win98 boot disk, using FDISK, connot create patition.
Then, I use Patition manager, create partition and try to copy file into it,
it show me "writing error"

2. Then I use Win XP prof. CD boot up and install, installation is
successful but when I install game or copy file on it, it become "blue
dead", the error is "kernal_data_inpage_error" and reboot. I try many times
but still the same error. Beside, I cannot format the patition as FAT32!!

Anybody can tell me the problem is? Is it my hard disk failure or Win XP
problem? HELP!!!

Old September 12th 03, 03:23 PM
santa

:
: 1. boot up with Win98 boot disk, using FDISK, connot create patition.
: Then, I use Patition manager, create partition and try to copy file into
it,
: it show me "writing error"
:
: 2. Then I use Win XP prof. CD boot up and install, installation is
: successful but when I install game or copy file on it, it become "blue
: dead", the error is "kernal_data_inpage_error" and reboot. I try many
times
: but still the same error. Beside, I cannot format the patition as FAT32!!
:
: Anybody can tell me the problem is? Is it my hard disk failure or Win XP
: problem? HELP!!!
:
:
fat 32 is limited to 32 gigs and 80 gigs 32 gigs you need to format as
ntfs or keep partition sizes under 32 gigs. Sounds like operator error to
me.

claus

Old September 12th 03, 04:17 PM
kony

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:23:03 -0400, "santa"
wrote:

:
fat 32 is limited to 32 gigs and 80 gigs 32 gigs you need to format as
ntfs or keep partition sizes under 32 gigs. Sounds like operator error to
me.

claus

FAT32 isn't limited to 32GB. The original FDISK shipping with Win98
was limited to 64MB, but that was patched a few years ago:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q263/0/44.ASP

Dave
Old September 12th 03, 04:43 PM
Graeme

"santa" wrote in message

"YKK" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't it FAT16 that's limited to 32Gig?

Old September 12th 03, 04:50 PM
JT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:43:58 +0100, "Graeme"
wrote:

"santa" wrote in message

"YKK" wrote in message
[...]

Fat16 is limited to 2Gig for 9x/ME. It is limited to 4Gig for NT/2K/XP. The
32Meg limit for Fat32 is in the XP disk partitioning software. 9x had a
partition limit of 32Gig in their fdisk/format utility, and scandisk has a
limit also, which I think is 64Gig.

Seems you could write a book about the limits of various file systems and
file system utilities. ;-)
JT

Old September 12th 03, 09:12 PM
Graeme

s.com...
wrote:

"santa" wrote in message

"YKK" wrote in message
[...]

But doesn't the FATxx mean 2^xx clusters (of 512 bytes)?

Old September 12th 03, 10:45 PM
V W Wall

Graeme wrote:

s.com...
wrote:

"santa" wrote in message

"YKK" wrote in message
[...]

Use a bootdisk with the latest version of fdisk to get a partition 32GB.
WinXP will work fine with it.
:
: Anybody can tell me the problem is? Is it my hard disk failure or

Win
XP
: problem? HELP!!!
:
:
fat 32 is limited to 32 gigs and 80 gigs 32 gigs you need to format

as
ntfs or keep partition sizes under 32 gigs. Sounds like operator error

me.

claus

See comments below.

Isn't it FAT16 that's limited to 32Gig?

Fat16 is limited to 2Gig for 9x/ME. It is limited to 4Gig for NT/2K/XP.

The
32Meg limit for Fat32 is in the XP disk partitioning software. 9x had a
partition limit of 32Gig in their fdisk/format utility, and scandisk has a
limit also, which I think is 64Gig.

Seems you could write a book about the limits of various file systems and
file system utilities. ;-)
JT

But doesn't the FATxx mean 2^xx clusters (of 512 bytes)?

Actually in FAT32, four bits are "reserved", so it's really only FAT28.
2^28 = 268435456 clusters of up to 32K each (32768 bytes) or about eight
terabytes, still pretty big!

As a practical matter, the FAT system gets pretty inefficient long
before a drive that large. MS won't allow WinXP to set up drives
(or partitions) larger than 32GB, thouch the OS will work with larger
partitions. MS is pushing NTSF for larger drives.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old September 12th 03, 10:50 PM
JT

snip
Seems you could write a book about the limits of various file systems and
file system utilities. ;-)
JT

But doesn't the FATxx mean 2^xx clusters (of 512 bytes)?

Clusters are multiples of (normally) 512byte sectors. Largest cluster
normally used is 4kbytes (8 sectors). Fat16 can handle a max of 64k
clusters. Fat32 can handle up to 2^32 clusters, which are normally 4k.
Old September 12th 03, 11:07 PM
V W Wall

JT wrote:

snip
Seems you could write a book about the limits of various file systems and
file system utilities. ;-)
JT

But doesn't the FATxx mean 2^xx clusters (of 512 bytes)?

Clusters are multiples of (normally) 512byte sectors. Largest cluster
normally used is 4kbytes (8 sectors). Fat16 can handle a max of 64k
clusters. Fat32 can handle up to 2^32 clusters, which are normally 4k.

See my reply just before yours. Clusters are normally 4K, only for
FAT32 partitions smaller than ~8GB. They can be as large as 32K.
There are some "undoccumented" switches in fdisk to set up other than
"normal" cluster sizes. You can't decrease the cluster size in FAT32
below that which will cause the size of the file allocation table (FAT)
to be larger than about 16MB (16,760,832 bytes). If you want to know
where the extra 64KB (65536 bytes) went, ask Microsoft. ;-(

Virg Wall
Old September 12th 03, 11:27 PM
Graeme

"JT" wrote in message
s.com...
snip
Seems you could write a book about the limits of various file systems

and
file system utilities. ;-)
JT

But doesn't the FATxx mean 2^xx clusters (of 512 bytes)?

Clusters are multiples of (normally) 512byte sectors. Largest cluster
normally used is 4kbytes (8 sectors). Fat16 can handle a max of 64k
clusters. Fat32 can handle up to 2^32 clusters, which are normally 4k.

So is that a 256Gig limit for FAT16 (2^16 * 4k)? Why do we ever need FAT32?