looking at Nvidia cards

Old December 24th 04, 01:03 AM
SL

Default looking at Nvidia cards

Hello group,

I am an Ati owner and am looking at some of the better nvidia cards. It
appears the 6800 line is their top crop right now. However, trying to
discerne the differences is boggling. Not that Ati doesnt have their messed
up order of cards as well.

But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im looking at a
max spending range of 300$.

I currently have two cards, a 9500 pro and a 9800 pro. I have an nvidia
5200 as a backup as well. But we both know the 5200 has had its day...much
like my 9500 is getting near.

thanks all,
SL

Old December 24th 04, 02:25 AM
Cuzman

"SL" wrote in message

" But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im looking at
a max spending range of 300$. "

From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :

6800 Ultra
6800 GT
6800
6600 GT
6800 LE
6600 XL
6600
6200

Old December 24th 04, 03:17 AM
N´far

"Cuzman" skrev i en meddelelse
"SL" wrote in message
From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :

6800 Ultra
6800 GT
6800
6600 GT
6800 LE
6600 XL
6600
6200

Right, add.:

6800 Ultra
6800 GT
6800 LE ( if ur lucky and able to open to 16/6. Impressing 10300 3Dmarks03
here.. )
6800

Are these AGP ones ?
6600 GT
6600 XL
6600
6200

G.

Old December 24th 04, 03:54 AM
Psi-Tau Paladin

"N´far" wrote in
k:

From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :

6800 Ultra
6800 GT

These come in two flavours, the 128MB using DDR and 256MB using DDR3.
Asus's v9999 128MB 6800GT is of the former, and is really a higher clocked
6800, while Leadteks A400 256MB 6800GT is of the later and provides real
perfomace gains over the 6800.

Old December 24th 04, 05:18 AM
McGrandpa

"SL" wrote in message

Hello group,

I am an Ati owner and am looking at some of the better nvidia cards.
It appears the 6800 line is their top crop right now. However,
trying to discerne the differences is boggling. Not that Ati doesnt
have their messed up order of cards as well.

But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im
looking at a max spending range of 300$.

I currently have two cards, a 9500 pro and a 9800 pro. I have an
nvidia 5200 as a backup as well. But we both know the 5200 has had
its day...much like my 9500 is getting near.

thanks all,
SL

This is what I bought a week ago, it's running fine too. No problems
with it running 67.02 drivers, XP Pro. It loves HL2 in maxed settings

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/eVGA-...oductDetail.do

They have a ten dollar rebate now they didn't have last week....grrrr.
McG.
Merry Christmas!

Old December 24th 04, 12:57 PM
John Eckart

If you want to get an nVidia card, which is a Great choice by the way, =
and your max spending limit is $300 then you'll want to get a 6800 (no =
suffix). Great card!

If you can handle spending an extra $100, the 6800 GT is a leap in =
power. The GT/Ultra gives you faster clock speeds, 16-pixel pipelines =
opposed to 12 and double the memory from 128MB to 256MB. And the GT is =
usually easily overclockable to speeds faster than the top-of-the-line =
6800 Ultra card (an Ultra card costs $500).

Sometimes you can also get a free game bundle to help offset the price =
of the card. For example, I got an eVGA 6800 GT and it came with DOOM 3. =
The GT card should also save you money in the long run because you'll be =
able to go longer without having to upgrade your card again.

So the extra $100 will be getting you...
1. Faster GPU and Memory.
2. 4 Extra Pipes (16 Total).
3. Double the Memory to 256MB.
4. DOOM 3 Bundle.
5. Longer Life.

Don't get me wrong, the 6800 is a Great card, all I'm saying is an extra =
$100 gets you allot, and in my opinion is the most Bang for the Buck.

"SL" wrote in message =
Hello group,
=20
I am an Ati owner and am looking at some of the better nvidia cards. =

It=20
appears the 6800 line is their top crop right now. However, trying to =

discerne the differences is boggling. Not that Ati doesnt have their =

messed=20
up order of cards as well.
=20
=20
But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im looking =

at a=20
max spending range of 300$.
=20
I currently have two cards, a 9500 pro and a 9800 pro. I have an =

nvidia=20
5200 as a backup as well. But we both know the 5200 has had its =

day...much=20
like my 9500 is getting near.
=20
=20
thanks all,
SL=20
=20

Old December 24th 04, 03:05 PM
McGrandpa

"John Eckart" wrote in message

If you want to get an nVidia card, which is a Great choice by the
way, and your max spending limit is $300 then you'll want to get a
6800 (no suffix). Great card!

If you can handle spending an extra $100, the 6800 GT is a leap in
power. The GT/Ultra gives you faster clock speeds, 16-pixel pipelines
opposed to 12 and double the memory from 128MB to 256MB. And the GT
is usually easily overclockable to speeds faster than the
top-of-the-line 6800 Ultra card (an Ultra card costs $500).

Yep, after January, I'll be getting a 6800 GT. It's what I wanted in
the first place, but finding one was tricky. BUT, I've found where I
can get either of the 3. I don't have to wait in a queue and it's a
regular retail package.
McG.

Old December 25th 04, 04:34 PM
dvus

Psi-Tau Paladin wrote:
"N´far" wrote in
k:

From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :

6800 Ultra
6800 GT

These come in two flavours, the 128MB using DDR and 256MB using DDR3.
Asus's v9999 128MB 6800GT is of the former, and is really a higher

You can get the V9999 in a 256 MB flavor using DDR3. I know, I have one.

--
dvus