Nvidia cards and thermal management?

Old October 10th 04, 11:13 AM
Tonci Nemes

Default Nvidia cards and thermal management?

Hi,

Do any Nvidia cards (especially the GeForce series) have on-die thermal
sensor diodes for core temperature measurement? I have had two cards fail
because of faulty fans. Seeing how the GPU cooler fans, by default, don't
incorporate any kind of RPM monitoring (and removing heatsink and/or fan in
most cases voids warranty), I was wondering if Nvidia has any provisions for
on-die thermal monitoring and management of the GPU? I don't think AGP port
incorporates separate pins to accomodate this feature in a way that Intel's
Slot1 does, so any such monitoring would be left to the graphics card
driver.

Regards,

Tonci

Old October 10th 04, 06:50 PM
Vigil

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:13:38 +0200, Tonci Nemes wrote:

Do any Nvidia cards (especially the GeForce series) have on-die thermal
sensor diodes for core temperature measurement?

The 6800GT does.

--

..

Old October 11th 04, 12:37 AM
tq96

Do any Nvidia cards (especially the GeForce series) have on-die thermal
sensor diodes for core temperature measurement?

The 6800GT does.

Is that it? I would hope that all current and future cards incorporate
this feature. It gives great piece of mind to know that if the fan fails,
the hardware will not fry itself.

Old October 13th 04, 10:11 PM
YanquiDawg

So does the 5900. In fact temp monitorin goes on constantly and the fan speed
increases or decreases according to temp.

CPU Temperature Nel General 34 August 17th 04 10:29 PM
CPU Temperature Nel Overclocking 31 August 17th 04 10:29 PM
A principal problem: fans on gfx cards - share your thoughts Ehud Shapira Nvidia Videocards 10 June 19th 04 04:32 AM
Artic Cooler for VGA cards Chip Ati Videocards 15 April 3rd 04 08:22 AM
GeForce 2 MX400 PCI voltage regulator burned up, missing solder Beerden Nvidia Videocards 3 July 21st 03 08:58 PM