5900 ultra problem in games- stability

Old July 23rd 03, 03:13 PM
Rob

Default 5900 ultra problem in games- stability

Hopefully some one has some suggestions, because PNY doesn't. I have
exhausted just about everything. They tell me to wait for the next
driver, like the three they published since this card has been out for
two weeks wasn't enough.

Here's the symptom; in games like Battlefield 1942(with RTR patch) or
Enclave, its hit or miss whether the game will boot and still detect
keyboard. If the keyboard is detected, the game can stop responding
to keyboard at any time. (tried different keyboards) Also, BF during
the two opening logo screens has a white edge on top and left side, as
if the screen is off one pixel towards bottom right. That goes away
once in game though. Everything, even the desktop seems unstable and
prone to lock ups. I have two exact rigs(except different chassis and
brand of power supply) otherwise exact:
AMD 2600
ASUS A7V8X-X
768MB
350WATT

I'm running XP with SP1a, tried Direct X 9.0a, and NVIDIA drivers
43.45, 44.65, 44.67 and NVIDIA's 44.03 international driver. I always
do an uninstall befor install, and since playing with this problem,
have rebuilt the machine from scratch at least four times. I also
scan for virus's and make sure nothing is overheating.
I also have a soundblaster platinum, which i removed, and also
disabled proprietary sound on board, as well as USB(don't use
it)firewire and network ports. In fact, at one point I had just the
mthrbrd sitting on a box with this card, everything else disabled, and
one game installed and it would still do the same crap.
But the problem always follows this card and drivers. When I put my
old ATI back in either rig, the problem is gone. When it does run
with this card in, it looks great though. I have also turned down all
hardware acceleration, tried low-res settings, so on and so on. It
will still run like crap and lock up.

If someone ran into this same deal, I'd like to know. Especially if
you found a fix.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 23rd 03, 04:32 PM
Graham Hoyle

In addition to what I wrote earlier. I`ve just re-installed BF1942 and
added the R2R expansion (I rebuilt my PC when I got a new Mobo
and hadn`t got round to putting it back yet) and It runs OK here.

Old July 23rd 03, 07:00 PM
Morgan

With everything that you have tried, as well as testing it in another machine,
there does seem to be very little left to do, that I can think of anyway. Apart
from if both machines are exact, in terms of the motherboards, I wonder if there
could be some issues with that particular card and the make and type of
motherboard that you have got in both rigs...? It does make it difficult when
you are cross testing a component in two machines when they are both built on
identical hardware to eliminate certain issues.

Do I remember rightly that some of the earlier 8x motherboards had some issues
when ran with 8x cards and the option was to force the AGP transfer to 4x for
stability...?

I assume that both power supplies are also adequate for the card...? But what
you might need to consider is that the card itself could be faulty and needs to
be replaced. Have you taken it back to your retailer for at least them to check
it out for you...?

--
Regards

Morgan

How I fixed my noisy IBM drive
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Old July 23rd 03, 07:29 PM

The only thing you have not tried is a clean install. What I suggest as a
troubleshooting tool is this:

Partition your drive space and make a new "test" drive (partition) with
about 2 gigs of space, this needs to be a new partition without interfering
with your primary boot partition. Install your operating system in the new
partition. Install ONLY the NVIDIA drivers from the manufacturer and your
motherboard chip drivers. Install your game with any known patches. Restart
the PC and ensure you are booting into this "test" partition and run your
game and see if all is well. If it is ok then nothing is wrong with the
card. If you still continue to have problems then either the card is faulty
or your 350 watt power supply isn't doing what it should be doing.

regards

om...

Old July 24th 03, 12:48 AM
edde

"Graham Hoyle" wrote in message
. ..
There`s a lot to take in here, and you seem to have done most
things already so it`s probably a fault with the 5900

I saw from http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...x/overview.htm
that your Mobo is for the 2700+ upwards processor, yet you have a 2600.
I don`t know if this makes any difference, Do they use the same Core?

The only other thing to look at is the BIOS settings for AGP voltages
and timings and stuff, of which I pretty well know sod-all.

I suppose you`ve enabled 8X AGP in BIOS? (Stupid question I know)
Alteranively Short the CMOS jumper to completely reset your
BIOS settings and start again.

I`m not rubbing it in but I have an MSI FX5900 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
and it went in without any trouble at all.

Good luck

Same, I have an MSI FX5900 on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe and it works great! Using
44.71 drivers.

Old July 24th 03, 08:36 PM
Graham Hoyle

On 24-Jul-2003, "edde" wrote:

I`m not rubbing it in but I have an MSI FX5900 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
and it went in without any trouble at all.

Good luck

Same, I have an MSI FX5900 on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe and it works great!
Using
44.71 drivers.

Good choice....... I`ve got 44.90 but I previously tried the current 44.03
and
44.71 beforehand and 3dmark03 gave virtually the same result for each.

Old July 24th 03, 11:31 PM
edde

How are the 44.90's?

I heard alot of great things about the 44.71's on the evga forums, so I
installed them straight away with my new FX5900.

Old July 25th 03, 08:44 PM
Graham Hoyle

On 24-Jul-2003, "edde" wrote:

How are the 44.90's?

I heard alot of great things about the 44.71's on the evga forums, so I
installed them straight away with my new FX5900.

They all seemed pretty much the same in 3dmark03 and I couldn`t
detect any difference in real life applications. However, I`ve now
got hold of 45.20 and they did show an improvement.

I`d previosly got ~5315 3dmarks but with the 45.20s it went up
to around 5405. This is probably the first time I`ve ever seen
a significant difference.

Old July 26th 03, 03:39 AM
edde

"Graham Hoyle" wrote in message
.. .

On 24-Jul-2003, "edde" wrote:

How are the 44.90's?

I heard alot of great things about the 44.71's on the evga forums, so I
installed them straight away with my new FX5900.

They all seemed pretty much the same in 3dmark03 and I couldn`t
detect any difference in real life applications. However, I`ve now
got hold of 45.20 and they did show an improvement.

I`d previosly got ~5315 3dmarks but with the 45.20s it went up
to around 5405. This is probably the first time I`ve ever seen
a significant difference.

How are the 45.20's in real performance. And how is the image quality and
stability?

stability problem OraceHorse General 1 December 13th 04 11:57 PM
Interesting problem - some old games wont play with my new system - I suspect the ATI , worked with my old system and 400mx [email protected] General 0 June 28th 04 06:29 AM
GA7 VAXP Ultra SATA raid problem Andy H Gigabyte Motherboards 7 January 24th 04 09:13 PM
Need Help - Stability problems nForce Ultra 400 / Barton 2500+ Thomas Pinckney Overclocking AMD Processors 6 August 5th 03 05:11 PM
Problems with GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB Ron Merts Nvidia Videocards 1 July 15th 03 01:48 PM