Radeon IGP 345M Drivers + Omega

Old June 15th 04, 03:40 AM
Jamie Phillips

Default Radeon IGP 345M Drivers + Omega

I have a 2.8GHz Celeron Presario 2500 notebook with 256MB and the
Radeon IGP345M card inside. When I looked at updating the drivers
(since the date on the drivers shipped with my laptop looked quite
old), the only ones I could find on the ATI website were the Catalyst
drivers, which it said were suitable for all Radeon cards. When I
tried to install them, I got an error message saying I didn't have the
right hardware components. I read a few things on the net saying that
the Catalyst drivers weren't suitable for the mobility cards, but then
I installed the Omega drivers (which are supposed to be based on the
catalyst drivers, no?) and they work fine.

So I ran 3D Mark 2001, which gave a ****ty score of 1200. I know my
laptop ain't going to be the best for gaming, but I really did think
I'd get a better score than that. My XP is downsized with a lot of
unnecessary services disabled. Would I get a better score with more
memory? The 64MB on the card is shared, so my RAM is really 192MB.

I wanted to test whether the original drivers I had would score
better, so I uninstalled Omega drivers and stuck them back on. Only
trouble is, my "advanced display properties" still have the Omega
controls on, which is worrying and confusing me no end. How in the
hell do I get them to revert back to the ATI ones? There is now a
little Omega icon in the system tray too, which wasn't there before.

Which do you think is better, the original ATI drivers, or the Omega
ones?

Also, when I was looking on the ATI website for drivers, instead of
selecting "graphics drivers" there was one for "Motherboard/IGP
drivers" which caught my eye; in here was something called "GART
driver", the blurb of which says :

"The Graphics Address Relocation Table (GART) is needed to allow the
AGP graphics controller to work correctly. It is extremely important
that the correct GART Driver is installed before operating your
system. The ATI installation program will install the GART Driver that
matches your system's chipset. However, should you experience any
display problems after the installation of the GART Driver; ATI
recommends that you contact your motherboard manufacture."

Does this in any way apply to me? If I installed GART drivers, would I
then be able to install the Catalyst set? The file after GART in the
list in this section was the Catalyst drivers themselves. I'm a bit of
a newbie, and I really don't understand!!

Also: I've read bits and bobs about "AGP settings" - where can I find
them and what do they do?

Any help on any of the above points would be greaty appreciative.
Sorry for being long winded!