EP45-UD3P motherboard , freezer 7 pro HSF fan will NOT spin on power-up??

Old January 19th 09, 05:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Robert Blass

Default EP45-UD3P motherboard , freezer 7 pro HSF fan will NOT spin on power-up??

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful....
Old January 19th 09, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
pokey man

"Robert Blass" wrote in message

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful....

from newegg

Pros: NewEgg fast shipping.

Cons: Fan failure upon startup right out of the box. Am returning it,
however, will not be installing replacement on current PC build project.
Have moved on utilizing stock Intel fan.

Other Thoughts: This processor fan/cooling unit is so big, barely squeeked
it into place on P5Q delux Asus MB. Also, original installation required
taking the MB back out of the tower to get all four feet to properly install
in the mounting holes. Junk mounting system for such a nice big cooling
unit. What was I thinking, got what I paid for. Will not buy any further of
these units.

Pros: Cheap.

Cons: Won't lock tight enough down on a Q9650 in an ASUS P5K Deluxe. Temps
60c at rest. Vista won't even install.

Other Thoughts: You get what you pay for.

Pros: Well, first off this unit was DOA... The fan is completely dead.. It
happens such is life. But even with a dead fan the heatsink combined with
the case fans I have kept my CPU at 34c while idle. Very well build unit and
EASY to install without removing the MB. Will be a an awsome cooler when I
get one with a fan that works.

Cons: DOA fan, I HATE the fact that when you get a DOA item you have to pay
to return it. If an item is DOA I think they should provide you with a
return label free. And where is the X-ship option? Didn't see it on the
online RMA forms. When it costs 1/2 the price of the fan just to return it,
that is wrong. Not to mention the down time, it will take 3 days to ship it
back another 2-3 days to process, and then another 2-3 days to ship a new
one... I am out for at LEAST 7-8 biz days.

Other Thoughts: I will write or update my review once I get my new one but
meanwhile.. I like the design, this design has been used in all the high end
servers for some time so it is something I know and am familiar with. My
gripe is purely one of dealing with DOA items. I have done a lot of biz with
Newegg and love their prices and products, I just think it is bogus to have
to pay to return an item that is DOA. While DOA happens from time to time
that is unavoidable should we pay for someone elses lack of Q&C? Now I am
out time and money while I wait for a replacement. They will not ship
another till they receive my old one and take 2-3 days to process then send
out a replacement which will take 2-3 days to ship so I am out over a weeks
time AND the return shipping. Come on Newegg, out of all my vendors your the
only one to charge for DOA returns. I am giving the product 5 eggs but
removing 4 eggs for Neweggs DOA RMA policy. Yes the fan was DOA but again
that happens.

hmmm. 3 DOA Fans...

HTH

Pokeyman

Old January 19th 09, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Paul

Robert Blass wrote:

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful....

There are a few DOA reports here, that match your symptoms.
Whatever is failing, seems to affect the CPU fan. The other
fan headers seem to work.

Both modern Intel and AMD processors are protected against
overheating. The signal is called THERMTRIP, and can be
used to disable the PS_ON# signal. So you're protected,
even if the fan won't spin. THERMTRIP is purely a hardware
function and shouldn't need any software help.

Check to make sure that both the power connectors are in place.
The 24 pin and the 2x2 square one. You can use a 2x2 square
power connector in a 2x4 desktop connector - verify in the
manual as to which holes they go into. Some motherboards
include a sticker to cover the other four holes. I looked
in the manual, and pins 3,4,7,8 are where the 2x2 connector
goes. The latch on the PSU end should end up on the same
side of the connector, as the motherboard latch.

Paul
Old January 19th 09, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
pokey man

"Robert Blass" wrote in message

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful..

REMOVE IT PRONTO AND EITHER RMA IT OR JUNK IT DO NOT USE THIS COOLER..SEE
THE REVIEWS

and they bought this cooler... saw fan failure after fan fail right out of
box.. one guy's cpu was at 245 F!

Pokeyman

Old January 19th 09, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kris[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:41:32 -0500, Robert Blass wrote:

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful....

I own/use that board and yes, it is slow to kick in the cpu fan, HOWEVER...
I would plug that fan into another fan header on that board and power on
for 10 seconds and see if it kicks. Also plug a different fan into the cpu
header and see how long it takes to kick on power on.

i have a Xigmatek s1283. it takes at least 5 seconds for it to start. I
do not use the bios fan failure warning as a result because if I do, it
beeps at me for at least 5 seconds every cold power-up. This is partially
the bios / board not telling the fan to rotate until the temp goes up a
little. (see my specs in my sig below)
--
Kris
----------
Old January 19th 09, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Tim[_8_]

"Kris" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi there,

I've had 3 of these fans one was DoA but the rest have been perfect on my
EP45-C board and other boards they can be tricky to fit in a tight space but
with care they are not that difficult to fit using the X method.

I agree why should you have to pay to return it but when I returned mine
Overclockers UK refunded my RMA postage you just have to ask.

Mince currently running a Q9650 at 22.

Tim.

Old January 19th 09, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Robert Blass

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:35:57 -0500, Kris sayd the following:

[...]

Could NOT connecting the 8-pin 12v connector on the motherboard be the
problem?????

Old January 19th 09, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Robert Blass

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:39:59 GMT, "Tim"
sayd the following:

"Kris" wrote in message ...
[...]

does that POWER the cpu fan header too?
Old January 19th 09, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kris[_2_]

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:12:56 -0500, Robert Blass wrote:

[...]

you mean to tell me that you're NOT connecting anything to that 8 pin
connector???????????????????????
--
Kris
Old January 20th 09, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RobV[_2_]

Robert Blass wrote:
[...]

How many people telling you to plug in the 8/4 pin 12V connector from
two newsgroups does it take before you get the hint and PLUG THE
FRAKKING THING IN?????