Using MSA50 As SAS JBOD?

Old June 19th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Using MSA50 As SAS JBOD?

The MSA 50 JBOD SAS enclosures have some kind of high density mini connector
on them that mates to the SAS RAID controllers like the P600. Does HP make
any adapter that would allow us to use these boxes as a pure JBOD solution?
I am trying to set up a testing station for SAS drives, so I need the
computer to have access to the raw drive, and I certainly don't want the
complexity of defining lots of individual RAID 0 volumes through a RAID
controller.

--
Will

Old June 20th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Not unless the P600 or P800 has the ability to present all the devices as
JBOD, which I am reasonably sure they dont. Given the performance and
availability of RAID, why would you want a JBOD setup?

Worst case ... Make one massive RAID Voulme, and partition the hell out of.
Although, it would be preferable to have have discreet array volumes with a
single partition, rather than one volume with loads of partitions.

-LC

Old June 20th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
Not unless the P600 or P800 has the ability to present all the devices as
JBOD, which I am reasonably sure they dont. Given the performance and
availability of RAID, why would you want a JBOD setup?

Worst case ... Make one massive RAID Voulme, and partition the hell out
of. Although, it would be preferable to have have discreet array volumes
with a single partition, rather than one volume with loads of partitions.

Again, I'm testing individual drives. That's why I don't want RAID.

What is the name of that high density connector type that HP is using on
MSA50 and P600?

--
Will

Old June 20th 07, 11:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Will" wrote in message
"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
Not unless the P600 or P800 has the ability to present all the devices

as
JBOD, which I am reasonably sure they dont. Given the performance and
availability of RAID, why would you want a JBOD setup?

Worst case ... Make one massive RAID Voulme, and partition the hell out
of. Although, it would be preferable to have have discreet array volumes
with a single partition, rather than one volume with loads of

partitions.

Again, I'm testing individual drives. That's why I don't want RAID.

What is the name of that high density connector type that HP is using on
MSA50 and P600?

--
Will

Will,
How about a cheap sas standalone card then.

Old June 21st 07, 04:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"Phil" wrote in message

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Right, but the question was how do I connect this to the MSA50 enclosure.
MSA50 is using some kind of high-density connector I don't recognize. Is
it proprietary to HP or industry-standard?

--
Will

Old June 21st 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

i believe it is proprietary ... its like a 16 lane SAS connector, or
something. I dont have any MSA20/50's in my environment yet, so I havent had
to dig into the specifics with this gear.

All i know is its an HP ONLY solution. Im guessing you have to set up lots
of 0+1 arrays with 1 drive in each of them if you want to test individual
performance.

- LC

Old July 3rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
thomas

Nut Cracker wrote:
i believe it is proprietary ... its like a 16 lane SAS connector, or
something. I dont have any MSA20/50's in my environment yet, so I havent had
to dig into the specifics with this gear.

All i know is its an HP ONLY solution. Im guessing you have to set up lots
of 0+1 arrays with 1 drive in each of them if you want to test individual
performance.

To do what you're asking, I would simply create a bunch of
single-disk arrays in the array configuration utility.
You will get errors when you have to pull a drive out, but
the controller will allow you to do this, and will re-present
the disk to the OS. I don't know what the limit for arrays
is in a P800 or P600.

If you go with mirrored pairs, you'll have a wait for a rebuild
when you remove a disk.

thomas.

Any Dell JBOD SCSI Cabinet? Will Dell Computers 1 June 6th 07 01:25 PM
What is the difference between a JBOD and a SAN? JRoughgarden Storage & Hardrives 4 April 1st 06 05:14 AM
Jbod NAS Joe Storage (alternative) 6 February 28th 06 07:31 PM
What is JBOD? Eli Storage (alternative) 9 July 13th 05 03:34 AM
How to set up JBOD Rexx Storage (alternative) 4 December 31st 04 01:35 AM