Slow SCSI RAID5 Array...

Old June 28th 07, 04:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Kwyjibo

Default Slow SCSI RAID5 Array...

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

Congratulations on figuring it out!

And that despite your help, amazing, isn't it.
He must be almost as smart as you are.

Which, based on your lack of even a suggestion, would appear to put him
miles in front of you.

--
Kwyj.

Old July 3rd 07, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
just bob

Can you do diags in the RAID BIOS? Maybe one of the drives has a prob. Most
of the SATA RAID controllers out there really suck so good luck!

"NewMan" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Dell 1600SC running Win2000 Server. This box has a PERC4/SC
RAID Card, and 3 x 73 GB SCSI 10,000 RPM drives configured for
Hardware RAID5.

When this server was originally deployed some 3 years ago, it was a
screamer. No complaints about disk access at all.

A few months ago, something on the O/S partition got corrupted, so I
took it off-line. I ran just about every disagnostic under the sun,
including the DELL diagnotics. Everything checks out OK. So, I nuked
the "C:" drive and reinstalled W2K server. Then I migrated the data
back onto the allocated data share.

This is when the problems started. For some strange reason, access to
the disk is now just painfully slow. I have googled myself to death,
and tried various things which have made marginal improvements. Still
TOO SLOW.

So I happen to have Thecus N5200 NAS Box configured with 5 x 320GB
7200 RPM SATAII Seagates in a RAID6 array.

I copied some of the data onto a test partition on the NAS box, and
tried to access it. Seemed nice and snappy!

So I downloaded a copy of IOMeter to see what the write speed were
like all round.

My local computer maxes out at 13 ms MAX for a "write". The NAS box
maxes out at about 18 ms. The W2K server maxes out a 1500 ms?????

WTF???

I was blaming some of this on the various client computers involved,
but these tests were done on my own machine which is running
perfectly.

So what gives???

Why on earth is the rebuilt server running so damn slow???

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!