xp wont start

Old December 24th 03, 01:17 PM
madmurg

Default xp wont start

after fitting a new asus a7v600 motherboard cpu and video card, my windows
xp will
not start. I swapped the original hard drive with xp installed, which was
starting fine.but since swapping the new motherboard and bits it will not
get past the black boot up screens. all it does is constantly restart. I
have tried safe mode and it still does the same. I put the hard drive back
in my old pc and it starts fine. am I missing something?

Old December 24th 03, 02:01 PM
Kev

Yep.............
no way will it work unless you reinstall windows and everything.
The HD has windows set up for the other board and things.
You cannot expect and should not expect to be able to swap motherboards and
have it work.
I learnt that a long time ago.

Old December 24th 03, 03:25 PM
Ghislain

I have switched between platforms several times without reinstalling.
MergeIDE has done the trick for me with various motherboards or systems.

Old December 25th 03, 08:33 AM
Tim

Yes! John is correct. There are many people with odd "fixes" for this - I
would rely on the documented method which is to run a repair.

To do a repair:
put the XP CD in,
Go into the bios and check your boot order to boot off CD,
make sure you F6 install any raid drivers (EG SATA etc.) you may need as per
Mobo / Add in card documentation, then
start an install -
it will come up and say that an existing installation has been detected and
asked if you want to do a repair.

Then.... install the driver set for the new mobo and all other drivers in
that order.

*Always* re-install the most recent service pack if you do a repair and
*Always* reapply any updates as they may have been turfed out.
Don't try to run anything until you have done all of this.

Most of this is a no-brainer - shove the CD in and watch the flashing
lights.

Doing a repair install re-runs the plug and play setup.
You can even do a repair install from XP with no SP to XP SP1a.

It should be the first thing you do when you boot up your new mobo. You can
always run a memtest, but that doesn't touch the HDD.

- Tim

"John" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Like I said, that's the only way.
Messing about with this prog or that prog is not a good way as windows

had
all the bits that were relevant to the board at the time.
Bits are left hanging about if you mess about and don't re install.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?? What "bits" are left
hanging? Boot from the installation XP disc. Do a repair. It will
reinstall all the necessary stuff required to run on the new board. The
real issue here is that the IDE controller is different from one board
to the next. I have had luck when going from one ASUS board with an
Intel chipset to another ASUS board with a similar Intel chipset but
more often than not I have had to do a repair and no bits were left
hanging. If you don't know the answer please don't make one up just to
show how smart (dumb) you are. You are not helping the guy with the
problem. I have actually done what I am advocating. Have you?

Old December 25th 03, 10:26 AM
kronk

****

Old December 25th 03, 10:27 AM
kronk

You are the dumb one

Old December 25th 03, 10:28 AM
kronk

Knowall

Old December 25th 03, 01:07 PM
John

In article ,
says...
Knowall

What are you upset about? That you are not?