Need Help With Logitech M305 wireless mouse

Old July 7th 11, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Frederick

Default Need Help With Logitech M305 wireless mouse

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:21:59 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Did you read the Logitech article to which I linked? Note that it says:

Move the power switch on the bottom of the mouse to ON position so the
power indicator turns green."

Missed the word green. Sorry.
Still trying this thing.
BF

Green, not red. Plus the *battery* indicator LED is on top, not the
bottom.

So far I have seen no LED light up on the top. Just the bottom
BF

'The light on the bottom is the mouse sensor, not a battery
indicator. Reread their article (and the KB article to which it links).

Old July 7th 11, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Frederick

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:21:59 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Green, not red. Plus the *battery* indicator LED is on top, not the
bottom. The light on the bottom is the mouse sensor, not a battery
indicator. Reread their article (and the KB article to which it links).

I have tried several AA batteries, but the green LED has never shown.
I gonna go buy a 'good' battery in a bit to settle this part anyway.

In meantime when I plug in the USB receiver, the laptop beeps - that's
good. Device Manager shows 'HID-compliant mouse' when I plug in the
receiver also. The latter is not there when the receiver is not in
place - that's good too. The laptop mouse pad works fine except the
cursor is herky jerky. - That's good also. My wired USB mouse works
fine when plugged into USB. - That's good as well.

Hope the Logitech mouse itself is not bad.

Big Fred

Old July 7th 11, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Frederick wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Green, not red. Plus the *battery* indicator LED is on top, not the
bottom. The light on the bottom is the mouse sensor, not a battery
indicator. Reread their article (and the KB article to which it
links).

I have tried several AA batteries, but the green LED has never shown.
I gonna go buy a 'good' battery in a bit to settle this part anyway.

In meantime when I plug in the USB receiver, the laptop beeps - that's
good. Device Manager shows 'HID-compliant mouse' when I plug in the
receiver also. The latter is not there when the receiver is not in
place - that's good too. The laptop mouse pad works fine except the
cursor is herky jerky. - That's good also. My wired USB mouse works
fine when plugged into USB. - That's good as well.

Hope the Logitech mouse itself is not bad.

Do you have a pen flashlight that takes AA batteries? That would clue
if the batteries were good or not (as long as the light was bright and
not dim). If you have a multimeter then you could check the voltage
(but that would be under no-load and not accurately represent voltage
under load).

Presumably you aren't inserting the battery backwards into the
compartment inside the mouse. Have you check the contacts inside the
mouse? If the mouse shipped with an included battery (granted of crappy
quality, like a carbon battery), it's possible there is a plastic shield
in place that gets removed by the customer to prevent draining of the
battery during shipping and storage. Is the battery tight when inserted
so it touches the contacts with some force?

The jerky touchpad movement (assuming it only occurs when the USB mouse
receiver is plugged in) could be due to multiple pointing devices
enabled at the same time or a conflict in their softwares. There might
be a convenient disable button alongside the touchpad to disable it when
you plug in the USB receiver for the cordless mouse.

The USB receiver appears to work correctly. If you're sure a good
battery is inserted correctly into the cordless mouse and there's still
no function for mouse pointer control, and if this is a new mouse
covered by a return policy at the store, then return it immediately for
refund or exchange as you might've gotten a defective one.

One time after boarding an airplane and waiting to retract from the
Packages marked "This Side Up" and "Fragile" were getting turned upside
side and forcibly slammed onto the conveyor belt. Shipping can be
sometimes be pretty tough.
Old July 7th 11, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Frederick

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 09:14:42 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Do you have a pen flashlight that takes AA batteries? That would clue
if the batteries were good or not (as long as the light was bright and
not dim). If you have a multimeter then you could check the voltage
(but that would be under no-load and not accurately represent voltage
under load).

I have some re-chargeable's that are being re-charged right now.

Presumably you aren't inserting the battery backwards into the
compartment inside the mouse. Have you check the contacts inside the
mouse? If the mouse shipped with an included battery (granted of crappy
quality, like a carbon battery), it's possible there is a plastic shield
in place that gets removed by the customer to prevent draining of the
battery during shipping and storage. Is the battery tight when inserted
so it touches the contacts with some force?

Yes it is tight. No battery came with it.

The jerky touchpad movement (assuming it only occurs when the USB mouse
receiver is plugged in) could be due to multiple pointing devices
enabled at the same time or a conflict in their softwares. There might
be a convenient disable button alongside the touchpad to disable it when
you plug in the USB receiver for the cordless mouse.

The jerkiness has always been true. Even before I bought the
Logitech. Which is basically why I bought it in the first place.

The USB receiver appears to work correctly. If you're sure a good
battery is inserted correctly into the cordless mouse and there's still
no function for mouse pointer control, and if this is a new mouse
covered by a return policy at the store, then return it immediately for
refund or exchange as you might've gotten a defective one.

Seems what is likely to happen.

One time after boarding an airplane and waiting to retract from the
Packages marked "This Side Up" and "Fragile" were getting turned upside
side and forcibly slammed onto the conveyor belt. Shipping can be
sometimes be pretty tough.

Yeh.

Big Fred
Old July 7th 11, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Don Phillipson[_4_]

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:21:59 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Did you read the Logitech article to which I linked? Note that it says:

Move the power switch on the bottom of the mouse to ON position so the
power indicator turns green."

"Frederick" wrote in message

Missed the word green. Sorry.
Still trying this thing.

"Frederick" wrote in message

So far I have seen no LED light up on the top. Just the bottom

This indicates your mouse battery is dead (or the circuit broken.)
The power indicator LED is central on the top surface, at the near
edge of the two mouse buttons. When the battery is in place and
the mouse switched ON this LED shows green. If not, either your
battery or your mouse is defective.

The light on the bottom surface is the motion sensor, lit only
when the mouse has been activated.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old July 7th 11, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Frederick wrote:

The jerkiness has always been true. Even before I bought the
Logitech. Which is basically why I bought it in the first place.

Please stop prefixing another "" in the Subject header for your
replies. It's getting ridiculous now with 4 of them in the Subject
(and a 5th one on the way in your next reply). If Forte Agent is
adding them then it's configured badly, or your using an old buggy
version (it's up to version 6 now). I reduced the "" count down to
1 in this reply.

The jerkiness of the touchpad, since it's always been an artifact for
that device, could be due to configuring it to be over sensitive. If
over sensitive, it could detect the approach of your finger (without
touching the pad) or the proximity of the heel of your palm as an input
change. Hovering your finger or palm over the touchpad could be
resulting in it thinking there were multiple changes. Try lowering its
sensitivity.
Old July 8th 11, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Frederick

Default Need Help With Logitech M305 wireless mouse I'm Done

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 14:47:41 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Please stop prefixing another "" in the Subject header for your
replies. It's getting ridiculous now with 4 of them in the Subject
(and a 5th one on the way in your next reply). If Forte Agent is
adding them then it's configured badly, or your using an old buggy
version (it's up to version 6 now). I reduced the "" count down to
1 in this reply.

ok

I am using v4

The jerkiness of the touchpad, since it's always been an artifact for
that device, could be due to configuring it to be over sensitive. If
over sensitive, it could detect the approach of your finger (without
touching the pad) or the proximity of the heel of your palm as an input
change. Hovering your finger or palm over the touchpad could be
resulting in it thinking there were multiple changes. Try lowering its
sensitivity.

tried dat alreddy

At this point I think the problem is with the mouse itself. My fully
re-charged batts did nothing. I bought some brand new energizers - no
improvement either.

Returning it would cost me almost what I paid for it. OTOH the trash
is free.

Don't buy from dailysteals.com

I should have known better.

Big Fred
Old July 8th 11, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Frederick wrote:
[...]

Before throwing it in the trash, take it all apart.
You never know what you might find by inspecting things.

Some mice, hide a single screw underneath a sticker.
The sticker may have a cross-shaped pattern scribed in it.
That makes it easier to push a screwdriver tip through the
sticker, and turn the screw. The mouse body may have a
sort of "hinge" on one end, and a single screw on the
other, to hold it together.

Older mice, may hide screws underneath the rubber feet. But
check for the sticker/screw method first.

Once apart, you can see if any of the giblets inside are loose.

Paul

Old July 9th 11, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Frederick wrote:

Returning it would cost me almost what I paid for it. OTOH the trash
is free.

Logitech M305 cordless mouse
$21
Shipping: $1.99

That's pretty cheap shipping, plus if you return it for exchange then
you probably don't have to pay the shipping to get it to you. What you
pay would be the shipping to send in the defective unit.

Don't know where you live but shipping might be a lot cheaper than the
cost of getting another same-model mouse. USPS Priority Mail Small Box
Flat Rate (if the mouse fits inside it) would be $5.20 (plus $0.70 if
you include Delivery Confirmation). No need to include insurance on
what is probably a broken item. USPS Parcel Post (in case you need a
bigger box) would be around $6.18 (w/Delivery Confirm). So returning
the item could cost you less than a third of buying another mouse.

Depending on where you bought the mouse, you may or may not have to pay
for the shipping cost to get the replacement item sent to you. For
example, if you bought from Newegg, you pay the shipping cost to send
the defective unit back to them but you do not pay the shipping cost to
get the replacement sent from them to you. In fact, I can't remember
ever having to pay for the shipping to get the warranty replacement sent
to me. So you're only cost is the shipping to get the defective unit
the seller (if within their return/exchange policy period) or to the
manufacturer.

You would have to be some rather remote location to have your shipping
cost as much as for this mouse.

Don't buy from dailysteals.com

Never heard of them. While I can search around for the cheapest online
price, that's not my only criteria regarding from WHERE to make the
purchase. I'd rather pay a little more for an etailer that has a good
reputation. While Newegg may not always be the one with the rock bottom
price for an item, their reputation and reliability is worth a slightly
higher cost for an item.

How much cheaper was the Logitech M305 mouse from dailysteals.com (for
BOTH the price *and* shipping) than the $22.99 cost (price + shipping)
from Newegg?

Unlike a normal etailer, the dailysteals.com site doesn't really list
what are their return/exchange policies. They just vaguely mentioning
sending them an e-mail or calling thei Sales folk. From their FAQ page,
it looks like they expect you to return the defective item to the
manufacturer under the terms of the warranty. In contrast, etailers
usually have a return/exchange policy with *them*: you get the
replacement from the etailer, not by waiting 6-10 weeks for the
manufacturer to send you a replacement.

I should have known better.

Sure doesn't look like a site that I'd trust with my money ... or with
my credit card, either.