HP nightmare?

Old June 30th 09, 11:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sebastian pons

Default HP nightmare?

Hi, I don't know if this goes here, but I just don't know where to post
it.

A couple of months ago I bought a All in One HP printer (F2280), and I
found out that the software, drivers+Help Center+Photosmart Essential,
provided on the CD would install till it hit 96%, would stop and give me
a error message.
After much labor and reading of posts I found out that there was a
conflict with my firewall, (I had to change from OnlineArmor to Comodo),
and with my flash player version....To make it short, I finally could
install the software without errors, and everything looked OK; Printer,
scanner, works both from the buttons on the machine and the tabs from
Help Center.

The Problem

I wanted to use Photosmart Essential to transfer pictures from my dig.
camera,
and manage and fix them. It doesn't work.
I went online with a rep from HP, and after installing and uninstalling
many times the software, he has given up and gave me a UK number to call
and try
to do the same thing over the telephone. I'm not going to do it. First
because of the money involved and second because I have the nagging
impression it will be more of the same.

Steps I Have taken to try and solve it:
Uninstall Photosmart Essential completely, including going after any
mention in the registry.
Reinstall a previous version, update it with the newest one.
Trying to open the software without Firewall and antivirus running.
Try to open it in SafeMode.
It just doesn't open. I can see the LED of the HDD going on and off
like it is
looking for it, but stops after a while (I have waited up to 15 min.
just in case).
I tried from the Icon placed on my desktop, from Program Files, and
from All Programs (I'm running Windows XP PRO with SP3)

The only clue I might have is that on aSafeMode it tells me that there
is no HP device attached to my computer. Nevertheless, I can clearly see
the driver in the Add and Remove Programs.

I hope somebody can give me a hand here. I realize BTW that I can use
picasa, but I rather use something that is supposed to be recognized by
the printer, and specially after the problems I run into to install it.

Sorry for the length of the post, and thank you in advance
sebastian pons

Old July 1st 09, 10:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Sebastian, let me recommend, also, that you go over to the freeware
newsgroup and check up on the Comodo firewall. Ask your question there
also just to see if anyone else has had a similar problem to yours.
There have been a few issues with this product. It's alt.comp.freeware.

Note that the freeware newsgroup is a hotbed of sociopathic trolling,
sock-puppeting, and other misbehavior. There are good participants, too.
If you want to hang out there, you'll need to use good filtering to
retain your sanity.

Richard
Old July 1st 09, 03:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sebastian pons[_2_]

Thank you.
2 things: First, I'm sure that my firewall is not at fault here. I
can't run the software even without a (any by now) firewall present.
And second, I keep my distance from the king of people that you say are
active in the forum you recommend, but many thanks anyway for your
advice...

sebastian pons

Had a bad nightmare AGAIN LOL. Skybuck Flying[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 13 September 5th 08 05:30 PM
ATI aiw nightmare H2 Ati Videocards 14 March 3rd 07 10:06 PM
Cat and MMC nightmare NG User Ati Videocards 12 April 28th 06 12:48 PM
Nightmare but getting there johns Ati Videocards 4 September 2nd 04 10:45 PM
My Dell nightmare Day 1... Ronnie Sortor Dell Computers 22 February 18th 04 12:12 AM