Processor Upgrade

Old January 8th 04, 08:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

Default Processor Upgrade

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:26:49 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT
Wes Newell wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:13:08 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:10:58 GMT
Wes Newell wrote:

Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does
it have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any
socket A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any
socket A cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one
if you want it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have?
See link below.

That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just
have to know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.

I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards
with which you have personal experience.

WTF is your problem John.

My problem is that your little fantasy doesn't pass reality check--you
keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in any
Socket A board, and it simply ain't so. You may _believe_ it is, but
that just means that you haven't encountered a board that won't allow
it.

Well, if they have a socket A, then they have an Athlon chipset, so why
don't you enlighten everyone and specify which chipet won't support an XP
cpu. All the ones I know of will, including all AMD, VIA, SIS, Nvidia, and
even Ali. It's obvious I don't have all these, but from the specs of the
chipsets, and the specs on the cpu's, they should all work in any properly
designed board.

And since I don't know which
board he has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it.

I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't know
what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?

If you had read my reply more carefully you might have noticed where I
asked him which MB and chipset he had. Without that I could only give him
the basics. As for telling people how to do it, just look at my web site.
And if you've never seen me tell anyone how to do it, you're blind. I've
done so in several NG's, not to mention the more than 100 emails I
recieved and answered. I only did the website because I was tired of
repeating myself every day. I've probably posted 500 messages on how to do
it.

Also, the link below applies
to most boards, not just the ONE I have.

The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything at
all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't mention
any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described very likely
will work with many other boards and chipsets, that doesn't mean that
they will work for every board and every chipset.

I see you didn't read the website very good either. I used references to
the KT133 chipset in a couple of places, but in others there is no chipset
even mentioned. There's no chipset even mention in the Tbred info, nor in
the original part of the multiplier cross reference. But if you don't like
my website, well....

Yes, there's a few that have
had problems, but this proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the
lack of understanding of the invidual.

Uh huh. When you can't figure out how to make it work blame the other
guy.

BS. I'm not where they are. I can only tell them what they need to do. i
can't do it for them. Nor do I owe anyone anything. Just this week someone
said a 2400+ wouldn't work in their board (KT7A). I told them again that
it would and they weren't doing something right. Gues what, he got it
working (had a ram that wouldn't do 133Mhz). Perhaps you can reach
through time and space to cure these peoples problems, but I'm only human
and can only give them the knowledge that it will work, done properly. Too
many are are too quick to give up when it doesn't work the first time they
try.

So unless you have a crystal
ball and can tell this guy how to do it, why not just keep your
****ing insults to yourself. I was just pointing out that he has other
options than to replace his board.

He has some things that he can try, with no guarantee that they'll work.

If it's done right it will work.

Old January 8th 04, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:26:28 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
Bill wrote:

Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
work with any socket A processor?

Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

Was Skids answer to this recently not to your liking? I didn't bother to
reply. And don't intend to.

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
d...

OK, Wes, since you claim that a Barton will run on any chipset, how do I
get a Barton to run on a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus?

I'm not Wes, but if you'll search the Soyo forum at http://forums.amdmb.com/
you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on that
board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its rated
speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods to increase
the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally, but I found lots
of folks who say it can be done.

Old January 8th 04, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Bill

In article ,
lid says...
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
Bill wrote:

In article ,
lid says...
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT

snip
you
keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in
any Socket A board, and it simply ain't so.

snip

Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
work with any socket A processor?

Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

Bill

A Google search:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&threadm=94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
40posting.google.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DSoyo%2BK7V%
2BDragon%2BPlus%2Bbarton%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3D UTF-8%
26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D4

http://tinyurl.com/269eh

did turn up a guy that said Bartons would run on the board
after modding it:

"For info on what mods are needed on the D+ boards go to:
http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=
99dfb629bcba630b5d99232daee1aa32&threadid=193409
and read thru the posts. Yes, the Barton chips work on the
D+ boards
after the mods are done. However, only the 3000+ makes any
sense
because
the other 2 Barton chips don't allow for the higher
multiplier values
to be used unless you do the wire/pin trick on the cpu
itself.
If your interested in more info on running a Barton chip,
email me and
I will send you info.

Andy"

http://tinyurl.com/27lzw his amdforum ref.

I admit that's a lot more work than I would put into it.
Especially since you'd probably have to mod the multipliers
on the cpu also.

Do you have knowledge of any that will flat not work at
all? Such as, voltage/current requirements that the board
can't meet, and/or modding it to meet the Barton/Thornton
requirements would be prohibitively expensive say, more
than the cost of a newboard ?

Bill

Old January 8th 04, 10:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
CW

Guys, calm down I am amazed at all the fuss I have caused over my intentions
to upgrade my motherboard, the model is by the way the Jetway 8363-686A with
the VIA KT/133/A chipset and the Athlon M4(Thunderbird) 650-1.4G CPU.
I was assured that I could not upgrade further than a 1.4 gig processor.
Obviously you people know more than I do so further advice is welcome.
CWebb

"RJW" wrote in message
"CW" wrote in message
Thanks for all the info from everyone, I have since discovered I need a

PSU
rated at least at 431Watts.
I think I shall just replace the PSU (along with the motherboard and

CPU)
although a couple of the leads from the case (not the PSU) to the
motherboard look a bit daunting to re-attach to my new motherboard.
Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on

it.
Colin Webb

Any leads (speaker, power, reset, etc.) from the case to the existing mobo
should be carefully documented BEFORE detaching them. Your new mobo will
have instructions on where these leads connect. Check them carefully

before
powering up.

Old January 8th 04, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

You're assuming that the chipset is the only issue. It's not, the BIOS
is also an issue. You're also assuming that all boards meet your
standard of "properly designed".

And since I don't know which
board he has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do

it.

I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't
know what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?

If you had read my reply more carefully you might have noticed where I
asked him which MB and chipset he had. Without that I could only give
him the basics. As for telling people how to do it, just look at my
web site.

I've seen it, and it has some general comments that one can find
elsewhere but no specifics for any board but the one that you have.

And if you've never seen me tell anyone how to do it, you're
blind. I've done so in several NG's,

Perhaps you have, when I have nothing better to do I'll look this up.

not to mention the more than 100
emails I recieved and answered.

Alas, I have neglected to hack your machine so as to read your emails.

I only did the website because I was
tired of repeating myself every day. I've probably posted 500 messages
on how to do it.

Also, the link below applies
to most boards, not just the ONE I have.

The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything
at all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't
mention any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described
very likely will work with many other boards and chipsets, that
doesn't mean that they will work for every board and every chipset.

I see you didn't read the website very good either. I used references
to the KT133 chipset in a couple of places, but in others there is no
chipset even mentioned. There's no chipset even mention in the Tbred
info, nor in the original part of the multiplier cross reference. But
if you don't like my website, well....

And the Tbred info and the multiplier cross reference and so on are very
handy once you get the thing to run at all, but they don't tell you how
to make it run, just how to make it faster.

[...]

That's a tautology--it's true but meaningless. The issue is that "done
right" may involve a good deal of reverse-engineering.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 8th 04, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:51:39 -0800
Bill wrote:

In article ,
lid says...
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
Bill wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that information--I knew if I ****ed enough people off
somebody would come up with an answer if there was one. Now, let's see
what kind of capacitors I've got in the junk box . . .

Bill

Old January 8th 04, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

Bill wrote:

Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
work with any socket A processor?

Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

Was Skids answer to this recently not to your liking? I didn't bother
to reply. And don't intend to.

I have no idea who "Skid" is or where he answered. But your "I didn't
bother to reply and I don't intend to" shows the problem with your
attitude.

So it looks like the D+ can be modded, however there's a good chance
that anybody who tries it as his first-time electronics project is going
to kill the board dead. But you never put caveats like _that_ in
either, unlike the guy who actually came up with the mod.

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
d...

OK, Wes, since you claim that a Barton will run on any chipset, how
do I get a Barton to run on a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus?

I'm not Wes,

Then why are you using his account?

but if you'll search the Soyo forum at http://forums.amdmb.com/
you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on
that board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its
rated speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods
to increase the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally,
but I found lots of folks who say it can be done.

Goody.