Quieter heatsink/fan please!

Old October 14th 03, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Harry

Default Quieter heatsink/fan please!

Tinted Windows on a Morris Maxi !!! )

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:01:54 GMT, "neil s"
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:17:49 +0000, Will Dormann wrote:

Harry wrote:

I think finding a quiet cooler for your 850 will be a challenge....

I have recently bought a Zalman 6000Cu Flower cooler. Its very quiet
and looks the biz,

It will cool up to XP2600 but it wont fit on anything less than a
Thunderbird 1.4 so you 850 wont fit with it. I would upgrade the CPU
and get a new cooler at the same time.

Nonsense. Socket A is Socket A. There's no reason the Zalman
wouldn't fit his processor just because it runs at a slower speed.

-WD

might make it too cool..... :P

Neil

Old October 14th 03, 10:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Harry

Cheaper in the UK ! That has made my day, I have always wondered why
the Yanks have things so cheap (petrol, electronics etc).

)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:06:30 +0100, "rstlne" .@. wrote:

"Lost" wrote in message ...
Hmm the stock fan that came with my Athlon 850 is completely silent. Don't

you
mean the noise coming from your PSU fan do you?
By the way, leaving the computer on all day every day will cost you 100s

of $ in
electricity. You also probably shouldn't be exposed to all that
electromagneticality while you're sleeping.
You may be able to use an Athlon XP with your current motherboard, but it

can
take a bit of work to get the multipliers right. You could try increasing

the
front side bus to 105MHz in the meantime.

Here in the UK our electricity is cheaper..
I would say it's probably a good 1/10th what I woulda paid in the states..
(louisiana)

Old October 15th 03, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rstlne

Cheaper in the UK ! That has made my day, I have always wondered why
the Yanks have things so cheap (petrol, electronics etc).

(2.175p/kWh)gbp
vs
(5.6c/kWh) (pre adjustment), (.001c/kWh) (street lighting), (3.78c/kWh)
(fuel adjustment) (9.38c/kWh total)

so that's nearly 3.5 time higher.. Then we also had other fee's on top of
that.. 7$ pm for the street light itself.. Then I seem to remember 2 or 3
other adjustments..

Old October 15th 03, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
The TweakOholic

Go for the Gold! Thermalright SLK-800 or 900 with a Vantec Stealth fan.
Cool and quiet as can be....without the expense of water cooling.

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been using a Globalwin FOP-32 heatsink/fan for the past couple of

years
and the noise hasn't been that much of a problem until now. but now that

have broadband in my room, i want to be able to leave the computer on and
sleep at the same time! This heatsink and fan won't let me do that as its
just too loud.

Any recommendations for a good heatsink/fan?
Hardwa Abit KT7A mobo (socket A i think!), Athlon TBird 850 (not
overclocked).
Preferably i'd like one that can take a higher spec CPU as I'm thinking of
upgrading in the next few months to a faster athlon

Thanks
Paul

Old October 16th 03, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ric

Paul wrote:
Hi,

I've been using a Globalwin FOP-32 heatsink/fan for the past couple
of years and the noise hasn't been that much of a problem until now.
but now that i have broadband in my room, i want to be able to leave
the computer on and sleep at the same time! This heatsink and fan
won't let me do that as its just too loud.

Any recommendations for a good heatsink/fan?
Hardwa Abit KT7A mobo (socket A i think!), Athlon TBird 850 (not
overclocked).
Preferably i'd like one that can take a higher spec CPU as I'm
thinking of upgrading in the next few months to a faster athlon

Thanks
Paul

on that one? zalman flower and you might even be able to ditch the fan
alltogether.

Old October 19th 03, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Christos Stamos

Zalman's socket-A compatible revision of its impressive
7000Alcu would be a very good choice. Visit their site
at http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/intro.htm to check
whether it will fit your motherboard, though..

Another good option would be Thermaltake's "Silent Boost"
heatsink. It utilizes a slightly alterated version of Panaflo's very
quiet 80mm L1A fan, and it should reduce the noise in your
computer quite nicely..

While we're at it, www.silentpcreview.com is a very qualitative
site with advice, reviews, and recommendations on silent computing.
So I'd recommend it wholeheartedly for your future PC-silencing
ventures..

"Paul" wrote in message ...

Hi,

I've been using a Globalwin FOP-32 heatsink/fan for the past couple of years
and the noise hasn't been that much of a problem until now. but now that i