Differences between Thunderbird, Palomino, Barton ?

Old September 19th 03, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
liaM

Default Differences between Thunderbird, Palomino, Barton ?

lost a écrit :

Are motherboards autodetecting & setting the FSB speed by instruction from the
CPU now?

yes.. all 4 of my athlon boards do that. I wanted to upgrade one of
them
with a speedier athlon that's why I needed help to figure out which one
was which..

Autodetection is a very handy, so long as you plug in an athlon which
the bios is programmed to recognize. Plug one that's too fast (or too
slow) and you can kill it. This happened to me. It was almost
subliminal. There was no puff of smoke. No smell.. Just a dead
70 buck worth of high tech.
Old September 19th 03, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
liaM

Nystagmus a écrit :

AMD ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM - US $94.00
Specifications:
CPU: 2.08 GHz
Type: XP 2600 Thoroughbred
Cache: 256K
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A
OEM (Processor Only)

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM US $98.00
Specifications:
CPU: 1.9 GHz
Type: XP 2600 Barton Core
Cache: 512K L2
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A
OEM (Processor Only)

Both XP 2600+ each with a different CPU: GHz and Cache sizes.

couldn't be clearer !
Old September 19th 03, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

yes.. all 4 of my athlon boards do that. I wanted to upgrade one of
them
with a speedier athlon that's why I needed help to figure out which one
was which..

Autodetection is a very handy, so long as you plug in an athlon which
the bios is programmed to recognize. Plug one that's too fast (or too
slow) and you can kill it. This happened to me. It was almost
subliminal. There was no puff of smoke. No smell.. Just a dead
70 buck worth of high tech.

your getting a little too technical really

Think of it this way..
the chip has 5 switches, all are open or closed
so you have a possible 25 different switch positions
those switches controle voltage..
now the motherboards use a standardised (usually) voltage regulation chip
that takes of course the input from the 5 switches..
so virtually every time the chip will request the correct voltage

Now think of the multiplier and the fsb in the exact same way..

Here is where the problem comes in..
something like a athlonxp 3000 might use 5 bits to request voltage and fsb
and mutliplier
but if the motehrboard is too old then those bits will be driven low
(closed) and you end up getting a voltage/fsb/multiplier that's LOWER than
what the chip request (if I am wrong then feel free anyone to correct me on
this)..

now from that stand point TECHNICALLY SPEAKING you should be 100% okay 100%
of the time to put say any athlon/duron/athlonxp chip in any
athlon/duron/athlonxp board without them destroying each other

Old September 19th 03, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
MCheu

"Nystagmus" wrote in message ...
"mcheu" wrote in message

The 2600+ doesn't have a varying FSB. From what I understand, there
are two versions of it that are sold as XP2600+. An earlier 133/266
FSB version (Palomino), and a later production version which is a
166/333 part (Barton).

From www.newegg.com

AMD ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM - US $94.00
Specifications:
CPU: 2.08 GHz
Type: XP 2600 Thoroughbred
Cache: 256K
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A
OEM (Processor Only)

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM US $98.00
Specifications:
CPU: 1.9 GHz
Type: XP 2600 Barton Core
Cache: 512K L2
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A
OEM (Processor Only)

Both XP 2600+ each with a different CPU: GHz and Cache sizes.

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if I had halucinated it.

========================
Thanks

MCheu
Old September 19th 03, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:05:57 +1200, lost wrote:

Are motherboards autodetecting & setting the FSB speed by instruction from the
CPU now?

If you know one that does, let me know so I can make sure I don't buy it.
I'll set it up the way i want it. It should default to the lowest fsb
available and the default multiplier. Same for ram, minimum settings. IOW,
i want it to boot when I plug it in, even if there's a problem.