Could this be a CPU bug?

Old September 12th 03, 07:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Stacey

Default Could this be a CPU bug?

pass wrote:

If you read the OP's statement this sounds like flakey hardware to me.
$20 says put this chip on an non-via board and the problem will
disappear.

Do you have any suggestions on how I am to 'make this board stable'?

Shoot it with a 9mm?

I've played around with new and old versions of the 4in1 drivers, they
either do nothing or require a format c: after installation

Yep, not surprized. After fighting with these for years because either
people requested a Via board or they brought me a system with one that was
flakey for years, I REFUSE to build a system using a Via chipset. If you
happen to luck into a hardware/software mix that doesn't upset things, they
work OK. It's too easy to add one piece of hardware or software that makes
the whole thing flake out and you get to fight to get it working right
again. Via singlehandedly has given AMD all of the "Not stable enough for
office use" stigma that AMD is still suffering from. Why some people STILL
try to defend Via after all the buggy chipsets and drivers they have
released over the years is beyond me.

--

Stacey
Old September 12th 03, 10:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

"Stacey" wrote in message
rstlne wrote:

Hello.

My computer is having this chronic problem which I believe is

hardware
related. I've narrowed it down to either the CPU (Athlon Thunderbird
850 socket A) or the motherboard ( Asus A7V133-VM, VIA KM133 chipset)

No question. Between the two the via chipset is the known flakey part..
If you're tired of hardware problems, stop using Via chipsets!
--

Stacey

Gawd..
If you support the fact that this is probably a hardware fault then you
probably dont have what it takes to get a VIA system stable...

A stable Via system is an oxymoronic statement as they are only stable
because the owner hasn't pushed them. And who in their right mind WANTS to
play with new/old versions of 4in1 drivers trying to get flakey hardware
stable when there are OTHER options that don't require these hassles?
What's the point in shooting yourself in the foot when you KNOW it's going
to hurt? Oh I see YOU buy Via boards and fight with them? LOL!! "Gawd"

help
you!

If you read the OP's statement this sounds like flakey hardware to me. $20
says put this chip on an non-via board and the problem will disappear.

He has a via board so he has to deal with it, I would try the kt800 or kt600
chipsets.. the kt400's were flakey the kt400a's were little gems in many
respects and flakey in others. If you think that a cpu going to 100% is a
hardware error then by all means go buy new hardware. even if he knows what
he's doing then I expect he'll probably go through about 30 or 40
processor&mb combos per year
so hell give it a go!

Old September 12th 03, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
pass

Heh, did I mention that this thing goes nuts if I try to run a PCI video card
with it? Both AGP & PCI video options somehow messed up.

Old September 13th 03, 03:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Stacey

Ed wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 02:48:54 -0400, Stacey wrote:

office use" stigma that AMD is still suffering from. Why some people STILL
try to defend Via after all the buggy chipsets and drivers they have
released over the years is beyond me.

Why people still buy Intel after all the buggy chipsets, motherboards,
CPU, drivers they have released over the last 30 years is beyond me too!

Yep. One must be careful out there!

--

Stacey
Old September 13th 03, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Stacey

rstlne wrote:

If you read the OP's statement this sounds like flakey hardware to me.
$20 says put this chip on an non-via board and the problem will
disappear.

He has a via board so he has to deal with it,

Nobody does. Toss the POS in the trash and get something that isn't a fight
to the finish.

--

Stacey
Old September 16th 03, 01:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Nitza666

I have built a lot of systems with VIA chipsets KT133A,KT266A,KT333 some
mine some for mine friends and all of them were rock solid and all of them
were built using EPoX motherboards.Iam still using as secondary computer an
EPoX 8KHA+ with the KT266A running 24/7 since 29 october 2001 and i have
used on this board almost any AMD cpu from 1400 Thunderbird to a 2400+
Athlon XP overclocked to 2250 i have now and its rock solid almost 2 years
now.