Internal USB3 Card reader : what connection?

Old April 14th 14, 11:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default Internal USB3 Card reader : what connection?

Hello , I hope someone answer me .
I have a PC with the Sabertooth X58 . Currently I have a USB2 card
reader (bay) connected to the internal port USB2 beige color. I attach
the photo with the USB2 port where I plugged the card reader present :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ooth%20x58.jpg
I would like to replace this USB2 card reader with a USB3 card reader
but I'm no expert I do not know where I have to connect the cable of
the card reader on the Sabertooth x58 . Maybe do I not have the option
of installing this new USB3 card reader? Is it better to leave
everything as it is ?

This is what is written in the mauale Sabertooth x58 reported at the
gates :
" Rounding the first corner of the ASUS Sabertooth X58 we run into
three USB2 headers Followed by a black and a white firewire header
serial port connector . The Intel ICH10R chipset ASUS is kept cool by
the " Ultimate COOL ! Thermal solution. The "Ultimate COOL ! thermal
solution Consists of Ceram ! Which X is an innovative ceramic coating
That Effectively conducts heat away from the system. In fact , all of
the heat sinks on the ASUS Sabertooth X58 take advantage of the
ceramic coating. "
Old April 14th 14, 01:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
[...]

If your motherboard had internal USB3, it would be a 19 pin connector
(a 2x10 connector with one pin missing as a keying mechanism).

The Sabertooth X58 has two USB3 ports on the back of the computer.
The "blue" color of the connector, tells you it is USB3. That's
a standard color for USB3. That is all the USB3 provided. They
didn't include a second chip, just to drive an internal 19 pin
connector.

You can buy a complete kit, including a PCI Express card, to do it.
Notice that the PCI Express card, has a 19 pin connector (black in
color), And a shielded cable runs from there, to a tray in the front
of the computer.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=328&area=en

*******

Now, this solution is "ugly". It uses an external cable. You
run the external cable from the back connector of the computer,
back inside the computer case, through a faceplate hole on the
back of the computer.

That device is a one port to four port hub (active repeater).

External USB3 ------- cable ------- back of tray -------- Four
(active -------- Ports
repeater -------- on the
chip) -------- Front

The integrated circuit on the hub circuit board,
functions as an active repeater. And allows a slightly
longer cable to be used on the front of the computer.

*******

So those are examples of two solutions for you. The first one
is a neater solution, but it will use one of your PCI Express
slots. And you've probably filled all the slots already.

Paul
Old April 14th 14, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Now, this solution is "ugly". It uses an external cable. You
run the external cable from the back connector of the computer,
back inside the computer case, through a faceplate hole on the
back of the computer.

That device is a one port to four port hub (active repeater).

External USB3 ------- cable ------- back of tray -------- Four
(active -------- Ports
repeater -------- on the
chip) -------- Front

The integrated circuit on the hub circuit board,
functions as an active repeater. And allows a slightly
longer cable to be used on the front of the computer.

If I had to choose this solution, from 1 USB3 to 4 USB2, could the
transfer rate speed decrease a little bit?
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Old April 14th 14, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

But if I have to be sincere, I don't need other USB3 ports, only I
need an USB3 card reader bay. I ned more transfer rate speed from SD
card to PC. If I had to replace the old USB2 card reader with a new
USB3 card reader, I don't know where I have to plug it on Sabertooth
x58.
I hope you understand my bad english.
Old April 14th 14, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
But if I have to be sincere, I don't need other USB3 ports, only I
need an USB3 card reader bay. I ned more transfer rate speed from SD
card to PC. If I had to replace the old USB2 card reader with a new
USB3 card reader, I don't know where I have to plug it on Sabertooth
x58.
I hope you understand my bad english.

For this project, you start with an article on SD cards (or whatever).

You cannot go faster than the media itself.

Your media choice must do two things. Match the capability of the
camera, and match the capability of the card reader.

For example, my camera will only go at 10MB/sec with the SD.
Only a certain kind of SD works. The fastest kind of SD does
not work.

Start with an article like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_digital

These are just a few examples.

SDHC 2 GB to 32 GB, 10MB/sec
25MB/sec (Version 2)

SDXC: 32 GB to 2 TB, UHS-I 50MB/sec
some 32 GB available UHS-II 312MB/sec

So when you search for a card reader, it has to match
some of those names. A USB3 card reader would be
of no practical use to you, unless it supports UHS.

In this example, the fastest thing they've got, is
"SDHC/SDXC UHS-I U3" at 90MB/sec read and 80MB/sec write.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/C...n_Chart_EN.pdf

And this is the tiny SD card reader, which would plug into the
back of your computer. You load the SD into the reader, then
plug the reader into your USB3. Always make sure, when buying
USB3 devices, that they have a metal barrel on the connector.
That ensures better insertion capability - I have a plastic USB3
item and the barrel part of the connector does not seat properly.

http://www.kingston.com/us/support/t...model=fcr-mlg3

The highest transfer rate reported in a review here, is 40MB/sec.
There are not sufficient customer reviews, to determine whether
it demonstrates faster transfer with UHS-I.

The last time I went shopping, there was no UHS-II at the store,
so I assume the bulk of premium media will be UHS-I.

I would say, if you spend the $15 on the FCR-MLG3 or something
similar, you could see your transfer go from 30MB/sec to 40MB/sec.
I don't want you to get too excited. A similar thing happened to
me with an expensive USB3 Flash key. It promised "screaming speed",
and worked about as well as a wet fire cracker. It was as slow
in practical usage, as all of my old USB keys. So when you see
"USB3" in the name, it does *NOT* guarantee faster speed. It may
go faster, but most of the time, it doesn't go faster. You must
be a very lucky person, to buy two items, combine them and
get exceptional performance.

The reviews on this one, Kingston FCR-HS3, report 60-70MB/sec
on read. And that's with UHS-I. Maybe that's with UHS-1 with
the 208MHz clock and 104MB/sec theoretical max transfer rate.
Some people report quite awful write speed, which is what
I would have expected. The high speed media can be asymmetric
in practical usage, with reads being better than writes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA12K1045403

In the case of that product, people report the cable that comes
with the reader is not good. And the unit works better if you
purchase a quality USB3 cable for it separately. The reader
in that case costs $25 and is quite cheap. It will sit outside
your computer.

Good luck,
Paul
Old April 14th 14, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
Now, this solution is "ugly". It uses an external cable. You
run the external cable from the back connector of the computer,
back inside the computer case, through a faceplate hole on the
back of the computer.

That device is a one port to four port hub (active repeater).

External USB3 ------- cable ------- back of tray -------- Four
(active -------- Ports
repeater -------- on the
chip) -------- Front

The integrated circuit on the hub circuit board,
functions as an active repeater. And allows a slightly
longer cable to be used on the front of the computer.

If I had to choose this solution, from 1 USB3 to 4 USB2, could the
transfer rate speed decrease a little bit?
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

The bandwidth is shared by the four ports.

If you use just one port on the front, it should run at
a good speed.

I don't have any benchmark information to offer for USB3 hubs.
Can they do 336MB/sec ? It takes very specific testing, to test
for such a thing. Most home users do not own the gear to do
such a test (average SSD adapters for USB3 run 200MB/sec). Perhaps
the ports will do 200MB/sec, but I would want proof of that
before making a promise such is possible.

The port will do more than 30MB/sec. But I don't know how much more.

Paul
Old April 15th 14, 09:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Hello, you are giving me precious news. I thank you a LOT.
I'd like to ask you some questions please:

1) I'm buying Sony AX100 handycam recording 4k. Now I have to buy some
SD for my handycam. I'd like to buy Sandisk (they seem good) but I see
some different versions:

http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-SDSDXS-...s=SDXC+extreme

http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-Extreme...s=SDXC+extreme
http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-Extreme...s=SDXC+extreme
I don't understand the difference between this blackSD and yallow SD.

And this with UHS-I
http://www.ebay.it/itm/SanDisk-64GB-...item4ad00da17a

In your opinion what is the best SD for my Sony AX100 recording 4k?
May be that SD with UHS-I is the best option for me?

Which do you like more between
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA12K1045403

THANKS FOR YOUR AVAILABILITY.
Old April 15th 14, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
[...]

Like you, when I have to buy SD media, it is painful to be
certain you are getting the right one. I don't know any more
about this than you do.

*******

The Sandisk seem to have two kinds of UHS-I. The 45MB/sec
and the 80MB/sec. Flash memory does not read and write at
the same speed, and writing is usually more demanding. And,
as the media gets older and has more errors, it slows
down. This is why the specification says "Up to", because
as the media becomes "worn", it works slower. I see this
on my new 128GB USB flash device. Very slow writes.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memo...e-uhs-1-45mbs/

Performance/speed: Up to 45MB/s read speed
Up to 30MB/s write speed

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memo...d/extremeplus/

"Performance/speed: Up to 80MB/s read speed;
up to 60MB/s write speed.

The Sandisk advertising does not mention usage with 4K cameras.

*******

The Sony web page has some comments from reviewers.
This is the problem listening to end users - here,
a user is mixing up megabytes and megabits.

http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-w...ced-Camcorders

"DISAPPOINTED in XAVC-S Card Problems
Date:March 26, 2014

I like the way the camera feels in my hands, and most operations
are fairly easy to change on the fly. But, Why Oh Why will an
80 MBps EXTREME 1 Type 10 SanDisk 32 Gig Memory Card not work
in XAVC mode??

This is the fastest card I have right now.

On Page 12 of the so-called manual it says you can do 4k at 60 MBps.
I have reformatted the card in the camera and still no go.
XAVC-S HD says it works at 50 MBps, but again, no go.

Does the camera only like Sony Media??"

OK, now already I am suspicious. Cameras are sometimes rated
in mega*bits* per second, and that person is talking about
mega*bytes* per second. So let's get the user manual first.

Here is the user manual for the AX100 and CX900.

http://download.sony-europe.com/pub/...X900_HG_EN.pdf

XAVC S 4K Recording pixels: 3,840 x 2,160 dots Bit-rate: 60 Mbps = 7.5MB/sec
XAVC S HD Recording pixels: 1,920 x 1,080 dots Bit-rate: 50 Mbps
AVCHD Recording pixels: 1,920 x 1,080 dots Bit-rate: Max. 28 Mbps

When recording images in AVCHD format,
use the card of Class 4 or faster.

When recording images in XAVC S format,
use an SDXC memory card of Class 10 or faster. --- The Sandisk ones, both of them

SD memory cards with a capacity up to 64 GB have
been confirmed to operate properly with this product.

Note that the 4K mode uses a fair bit of compression. There are
four times as many bits, yet the recording only takes 20%
more megabits per second.

The top recording rate is 60 megabits/sec or 7.5 megabytes/sec.
And that is met by a Class 10 card.

In theory, the Sandisk SD cards should work (both types are Class 10).
They exceed the 7.5MB/sec requirement OK.

And like me, all you can do, is buy the media, insert it in the camera
and test it. You will not know, until it is inserted, whether
it is right or not. The Sandisk products both look like they should
work, but it is up to the camera to "approve" of the media :-)

If your retailer will not accept returns of SD media, you could
buy a small capacity SD first, and test it.

Good luck,
Paul
Old April 15th 14, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Therefore is not important to buy a UHS-I card?

Internal Card Reader jinxy Homebuilt PC's 6 June 26th 10 11:43 PM
Compatible internal card reader [email protected] Asus Motherboards 2 June 7th 08 02:43 PM
Suggestions for Internal Card Reader? AFGH Homebuilt PC's 3 March 2nd 06 10:28 PM
internal card reader Squibbly General 0 June 25th 05 09:26 PM
Internal USB card reader not working Tamlyn General Hardware 1 August 31st 04 01:18 AM