HP Deskjet 6980 Color Cartridge

Old June 15th 09, 04:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_4_]

Default HP Deskjet 6980 Color Cartridge

I have an HP6980 that uses the 97 color cartridge. I have refilled it
only two times and now I get an "blinking light" error and printer
will not print. I have done a hard, soft reset, system reboot to no
avail. Printer prints OK with only the black cartridge (96).

I have refilled the previous 97 cartridge many, many times bedore
replacing it. Is there a work-around where I can continue to use this
color cartridge? It is less than 4 months old. What is there in the
system or cartridge that won't let it print when it thinks it is
empty?

Thanks,

Dave C.
Old June 18th 09, 06:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Dave C." wrote in message
:

I have an HP6980 that uses the 97 color cartridge. I have refilled it
only two times and now I get an "blinking light" error and printer
will not print. I have done a hard, soft reset, system reboot to no
avail. Printer prints OK with only the black cartridge (96).

I have refilled the previous 97 cartridge many, many times before
replacing it. Is there a work-around where I can continue to use this
color cartridge? It is less than 4 months old. What is there in the
system or cartridge that won't let it print when it thinks it is
empty?

The printer will print just fine with a cartridge that it thinks is
empty, but it will refuse to print if it fails certain electrical tests.
If too many electrical connections are open or shorted the cartridge
will be rejected. One thing you can do is to remove the cartridge and
clean the contacts on the cartridge and in the printer as shown here
(different cartridges, same principle):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpa02060
You should also check the carriage and make sure the x-bias spring has
not become dislodged and damaged the flex circuitry, see
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...od uct=467982

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old June 19th 09, 09:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_4_]

On Jun 18, 1:45*am, "Bob Headrick" wrote:
"Dave C." wrote in message

:

[...]

(different cartridges, same principle):http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...nt.jsp?objectI...
* You should also check the carriage and make sure the x-bias spring has
not become dislodged and damaged the flex circuitry, seehttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01189393&cc=us&l...

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thanks, Bob, for the information. I went through the tests, and the
cartridge still is rejected. I will be getting a fresh cartridge
tomorrow and go from there. (My local retailer is out of stock oddly
enough.) If it is the printer and not a cartridge issue, which at
this point do not think so, I'll have to decide what to do. In
general, I guess I should handle cartridges with care.

Once I get a cartridge, I'll update this thread.

Dave C.

PS Thanks for your presence here on this newsgroup.

Old June 20th 09, 05:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_4_]

"Dave C." wrote in message

:

[...]

PS *Thanks for your presence here on this newsgroup.- Hide quoted text -

Bob, the new cartridge worked perfectly. Again, I suppose I should be
extra careful handling them. Thanks for the links regarding cleaning
and printer resetting.

Regards, Dave C.