Using xp coa of dead pc on new pc

Old July 23rd 07, 12:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ff

Default Using xp coa of dead pc on new pc

My dell 4600 died in a thunderstorm. Just the green led on the
motherboard taunting me. Even a new power supply did not help... So I
have got a cheap asus base unit off ebay.

Now I have a non dell oem windows xp disc to install on the asus, or I
may even try just moveing that hard drive accross and hoping.

But can I use the dell coa sticker from the dead pc on the asus to
activate windows on the asus, or should I start looking for a generic
one?

Thanks
Old July 23rd 07, 01:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

According to Microsoft's license agreement, you cannot do so. The Dell COA is
tied to the Dell chassis, at minimum. If you were to install another Dell
motherboard inside the chassis, you would have ample justification for
reinstalling Windows, and there would be no problemo with activation, genuine
advantage, and any the other Microsoft hurdles.

You could violate the Microsoft license agreement, install Windows on the
non-Dell, then whine and plead with Apoo to allow it to be activated. All this
provided that the install accepts the COA without a whimper... Ben Myers

Old July 23rd 07, 01:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

There are two answers to your question.

1) Legally that COA is tied to the dead machine forever, dead or not,
and cannot be transferred
2) Physically it will probably work

Old July 23rd 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

To be perfectly clear, that's Microsoft's Apoo, not the one from the Simpsons.
And you would probably have to use a utility like Keyfinder to change the COA
key to the one on the side of the Dimension 4600. The COA key baked into the
Dell Windows CD is definitely unacceptable with a non-Dell motherboard.

If you are not too far from ZIP 01451, I am willing to make a home for a
Dimension 4600 case in excellent condition. Will compensate for shipping costs
and a bit more... Ben Myers

Old July 23rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

You cannot do it legally, that's for sure.

As to whether it is none the less possible, the answer is a definite
maybe. Try it, see what happens. It all depends on how Microsoft's
product activation system works, which isn't clear from any published
information.

Old July 23rd 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:29:24 -0400, Barry Watzman
wrote:

You cannot do it legally, that's for sure.

As to whether it is none the less possible, the answer is a definite
maybe. Try it, see what happens. It all depends on how Microsoft's
product activation system works, which isn't clear from any published
information.

Guess that's why I keep getting confused about this subject ... after
I think I understand ... another tidbit makes me confused on the
subject matter again. I've kinda accepted the fact that if you mix
anything, it becomes illegal. I'm sure I'm not completely correct on
this from someone who truly knows but I see too many too confused so I
know I'm in good company.
Old July 24th 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

According to Microsoft's license agreement, you cannot do so. The Dell COA is
tied to the Dell chassis, at minimum. If you were to install another Dell
motherboard inside the chassis, you would have ample justification for
reinstalling Windows, and there would be no problemo with activation, genuine
advantage, and any the other Microsoft hurdles.

I don't get it. The COA is tied to the chassis? By chassis you mean
the case? That doesn't make sense because the whole innards of a case
can be changed and it would for all practical purposes be a different
computer.
Old July 24th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:06:30 -0500, RnR wrote:

I've kinda accepted the fact that if you mix
anything, it becomes illegal.

And whether illegal = immoral when it comes to an illegal monopoly is
a whole other matter.

Fortunately I have ample supplies of legal OS's from the Microsoft
Employee store and through school, and during my recent system
refreshes I went straight for Vista Business and by pure luck it has
served me well. I didn't have to wait in Service Pack 1 purgatory,
and I don't have to choose sides in the debate even though I think
America's version of capitalism is a joke when it doesn't take actions
against recognized illegal monopolies.

I would like to obtain a legal licence to Vista Ultimate through
school in the fall but I don't know if it's an available option. It
has some neat security features that I am definitely interested in. In
the past, licenses to XP Pro and other OS's ran about $40.
Old July 24th 07, 02:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

It's very confusing and not clear. The closest thing is the
motherboard.

Old July 24th 07, 03:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Except that the sticker is stuck onto the chassis. I have done motherboard
replacements in Dell chassis with a Dell motherboard, of course, reloaded
Windows XP, and that is that. The service tag of the motherboard agrees with
the service tag on the case. I do this somewhat routinely. The result is a
100% honest-to-gosh Dell-branded computer system with 100% Dell content and a
legal Windows XP sticker on the case.

Other people part out systems, selling off the parts. I guess you could call
what I do "parting in"?.. Ben Myers

wrote:

According to Microsoft's license agreement, you cannot do so. The

Dell COA is
tied to the Dell chassis, at minimum. If you were to install

another
Dell
motherboard inside the chassis, you would have ample justification

for
reinstalling Windows, and there would be no problemo with activation,

genuine
advantage, and any the other Microsoft hurdles.

I don't get it. The COA is tied to the chassis? By chassis you mean
the case? That doesn't make sense because the whole innards of a case
can be changed and it would for all practical purposes be a different
computer.

This group is dead. ATI is dead. Post at AMD group? Jone Ati Videocards 9 May 11th 07 09:06 AM
Damn. 2 dead CPU's and 2 dead motherboards. Help? Heathen Mind General 3 January 11th 06 03:26 AM
my 2000FP is dead dead dead (Dallas area) MBoyd00000 Dell Computers 2 April 28th 04 12:27 AM
New MB CPU dead Joe Homebuilt PC's 3 February 12th 04 08:45 PM
Dead Inspiron 8200 - dead? Mark Seeley Dell Computers 3 January 17th 04 11:12 AM