9800 GX2: blue screen of death

Old August 14th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Anton

Default 9800 GX2: blue screen of death

Hello,

Year ago I bought MSI GeForce N9800GX2 M2D1G. It has been working
under Windows XP quite good during this year. Few days ago I started
to experience a blue screen of death. I though it's time to reinstall
windows but that didn't help. I have Windowx XP Pro SP3, after
installing any nVidia driver (I tried original one from purchased CD
with card, after I tried 185.85, 190.38, 190.56...) and machine
rebooting I am getting blue screen. After booting in safe mode it
works with disabled card's driver. After uninstalling driver it
work's, also proposes to send to Microsoft the crash report: "Error
Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)".
There is short description on Microsoft site: infinitive loop in the
driver due to driver it-self or card hardware problem.
Is there any diagnostic tool for a graphics card? I suspect something
happened with hardware... There was no any physical damage, I never
overclock it and there is no sign it can be overheated. I have Cooler
Master Cosmics S box with pretty nice air cooling system. I have 2
years warranty from seller but I need some evidence what this is the
card's problem. Help me plz.

Old August 15th 09, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Anton wrote:
[...]

It is most likely a low level fault. Generally video cards either last
nearly indefinitely or die very early on. It's unusual to see one act
up after a year unless it's suffered abuse (overvolting) or overheating.

The infinite loop problem is really not what it says it is. In general
this error and a few others are a catch all code for general hardware
faults as well. This can indicate bad RAM (video or system) or anything
that causes a fault; since graphics cards are not fault tolerant or
error correcting, you're screwed.

In earlier days I would have said to also check your mobo for bad
capacitors, but I'm guessing you have a relatively recent build and that
shouldn't be a problem.

RMA if you can, or even see if MSI will repair/replace if you foot the
shipping cost if it's out of warranty.