The end of the desktop?

Old January 16th 09, 02:25 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Richard Bonner

Default The end of the desktop?

Frank Slootweg ) wrote:
Richard Bonner wrote:

Frank Slootweg ) wrote:
There are 'glasses' with built-in
(IIRC see-through (as in (fighter) plane cockpits) displays, so if you
hook one of *them* up to your mini-laptop, who gives a damn what size
the laptop's diplay is? Problem(s) solved! :-)

*** Are those the faceshield type that display on the transparent part
of a helmut as sort of a heads up display? I would think the fact that the
display moves with the head would prove to be difficult to get used to.

The ones I have seen are a - large - pair of glasses / spectacles,
i.e. like sun glasses. AFAIK, the displays/'glasses' themselves are a
type of heads up display, in the sense that you can see through them,
but AFAIK, you can also make them non-transparent if that is what you
want at a given moment.

*** Those sound like virtual reality ones.

The ones of which I am thinking allow the user to see the outside
world with this information superimposed on it.

Your comment about the display moving with the head is a good one! I
hadn't thought of that. I don't know if these 'glasses' have motion
detectors, so that they can make the image move as you move your head.

*** For the ones of which I am thinking, the image does move with the
head because it is projected on a transparent face shield.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

The end of the desktop? Tony Harding[_3_] Dell Computers 0 January 14th 09 07:14 AM
The end of the desktop? Tony Harding[_3_] Dell Computers 0 January 14th 09 07:10 AM
Which Desktop? Ron Hardin Dell Computers 2 June 14th 07 08:45 PM
best desktop guiltyspark414 General 5 August 20th 04 11:56 PM
spanning desktop with 9800se (not extended desktop) Lucas Young Ati Videocards 0 December 27th 03 05:06 AM