20 ms LCD technology?

Old September 30th 03, 04:16 AM
Thunder9

Default 20 ms LCD technology?

As I understand it, LCD's were hovering around 25 ms pixel response
times until recently in which they went down to 20 ms and 16 ms. The
16 ms is based on using less colors (6 bit instead of 8 bit).

Now, what's the 20 ms pixel response time based on?

Regards,
Thunder9

Old September 30th 03, 01:41 PM
Alceryes

They use the same color as the current 25ms ones (I thought some 16's did as
well)...just with some engineering feats to make the crystals response
faster. Of course the price responds much faster as well...8-)
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old September 30th 03, 07:04 PM
Bob Myers

"Thunder9" wrote in message
As I understand it, LCD's were hovering around 25 ms pixel response
times until recently in which they went down to 20 ms and 16 ms. The
16 ms is based on using less colors (6 bit instead of 8 bit).

Now, what's the 20 ms pixel response time based on?

I'm afraid your information is incorrect. The move from 25 ms to
16 ms was not necessarily based on reducing the dynamic range
from 8 bits/color to 6 (in fact, both 8-bit and 6-bit panels have been
shown with various response times in this range, and many of
the 25 ms panels are 6 bits/color unless frame-to-frame
dithering is applied). The improvements in response time come
from a variety of techniques, including new drive methods, LC
modes, etc..

Bob M.

Old October 1st 03, 04:16 AM
Thunder9

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:16:06 GMT, (Thunder9)
wrote:

As I understand it, LCD's were hovering around 25 ms pixel response
times until recently in which they went down to 20 ms and 16 ms. The
16 ms is based on using less colors (6 bit instead of 8 bit).

Now, what's the 20 ms pixel response time based on?

Regards,
Thunder9

For anyone interested, this is a pretty good website on 20ms and 16ms
monitors

http://www.cifi.com/computing/lcdbuyingguide.html

The last page lists of the good ones. I have no affiliation with the
web site or products.... I'm still trying to find the right one for
me.

Regards,
Thunder9
Old October 1st 03, 07:10 AM
SR

I'm afraid your information is incorrect. The move from 25 ms to
16 ms was not necessarily based on reducing the dynamic range
from 8 bits/color to 6 (in fact, both 8-bit and 6-bit panels have been
shown with various response times in this range, and many of
the 25 ms panels are 6 bits/color unless frame-to-frame
dithering is applied). The improvements in response time come
from a variety of techniques, including new drive methods, LC
modes, etc..

I think Thunder9 talk about "normal" desktop monitors in the 15-17'' size.
Widely adopted Acer 16ms panel is 18bit colors TN with dithering
and new Samsung X series too.

I know new techniques are used in high priced panels for TV or very
big monitors.
The smaller 16ms true-color I've found is Iiyama C480T LCD-TV
with Fujitsu MVA.

Old October 2nd 03, 02:12 AM
Thunder9

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:10:31 GMT, "SR"
wrote:

I'm afraid your information is incorrect. The move from 25 ms to
16 ms was not necessarily based on reducing the dynamic range
from 8 bits/color to 6 (in fact, both 8-bit and 6-bit panels have been
shown with various response times in this range, and many of
the 25 ms panels are 6 bits/color unless frame-to-frame
dithering is applied). The improvements in response time come
from a variety of techniques, including new drive methods, LC
modes, etc..

I think Thunder9 talk about "normal" desktop monitors in the 15-17'' size.
Widely adopted Acer 16ms panel is 18bit colors TN with dithering
and new Samsung X series too.

Yes you are right. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The 20 ms LCD's are all based on the Hyundai panels, and the 16ms
LCD's are based on the AU Optronics panel.

Does anyone have a list of all the 17" 20 ms LCD's based on the
Hyundai panels?? I think this is the route I want to go.
Tomshardware lists Hyundai Q17 and Iiyama AS4314UTG but I was
wondering if there were any others...

Old October 2nd 03, 07:34 AM
SR

Does anyone have a list of all the 17" 20 ms LCD's based on the
Hyundai panels?? I think this is the route I want to go.
Tomshardware lists Hyundai Q17 and Iiyama AS4314UTG but I was
wondering if there were any others...

Sorry, I don't have any list.
I suggest you this great german forum:
prad.de

But, if you don't care about games........
I don't understand why you would take a low-viewing TN monitor.
o_O

Old October 2nd 03, 01:07 PM
Thunder9

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 06:34:20 GMT, "SR"
wrote:

Does anyone have a list of all the 17" 20 ms LCD's based on the
Hyundai panels?? I think this is the route I want to go.
Tomshardware lists Hyundai Q17 and Iiyama AS4314UTG but I was
wondering if there were any others...

Sorry, I don't have any list.
I suggest you this great german forum:
prad.de

But, if you don't care about games........
I don't understand why you would take a low-viewing TN monitor.

Thanks for the advice. However, I do a google on "Hyundai Q17 angle"
and I don't get many hits reporting problems with this... so I tend to
think that its not really a problem. I want to watch DVD on this
monitor. Do you think there's a better one for DVD?

Regards,
Thunder9

Old October 2nd 03, 04:55 PM
SR

Thanks for the advice. However, I do a google on "Hyundai Q17 angle"
and I don't get many hits reporting problems with this... so I tend to
think that its not really a problem. I want to watch DVD on this
monitor. Do you think there's a better one for DVD?

AH! I've think you need for graphic.

Acer make good price multimedia oriented LCDs.
I don't know the panel used for new AL1731 (20ms)
but it have DVI, VGA, S-Video and composite input
with nice OSD.

(I think OSD is nice because I've seen the AL732)

Old October 3rd 03, 04:47 AM
Thunder9

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:55:05 GMT, "SR"
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. However, I do a google on "Hyundai Q17 angle"
and I don't get many hits reporting problems with this... so I tend to
think that its not really a problem. I want to watch DVD on this
monitor. Do you think there's a better one for DVD?

AH! I've think you need for graphic.

Acer make good price multimedia oriented LCDs.
I don't know the panel used for new AL1731 (20ms)
but it have DVI, VGA, S-Video and composite input
with nice OSD.

(I think OSD is nice because I've seen the AL732)

I'll need to take a look at it. If its based on the Hyundai panel then
it will have practically identical performance. Though the features
could be nice.

Thunder9