How do you reset a frozen PCI soundcard without rebooting?

Old November 17th 07, 05:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

Default How do you reset a frozen PCI soundcard without rebooting?

"Manuel Marino" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:34:56 -0500, "mjs" wrote:

Anyone know how to reset a jammed Echo Gina3G PCI soundcard without
rebooting the computer? Once in a while it'll lock up due to a program
error
in Cakewalk Sonar and my device becomes unusable until I reboot.

It's bloody annoying to have to reboot when this happens. :-(

What do you mean for reset? a midi reset?

Not midi. Audio. The audio gets frozen. All sounds (including Windows
sounds) are disabled until the next reboot. Whatever initializing is done
during the reboot should be do-able on command without rebooting.

Old November 21st 07, 05:20 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

"The driver cannot be restarted right now; your changes will take effect
when you restart your computer."

:-(

"Neil Rutman" wrote in message
t...
Inside the Gina console go to "settings" then "advanced." Change one of
those settings and hit "apply." This will often recycle my Layla 24 when
necessary.

Neil R

"Max Arwood" wrote in message
et...
You could also try to change the digital mode from SPDIF to ADAT and back
that will work sometimes.
Max Arwood

reenews.net...

Old November 21st 07, 05:21 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

"Gina2G is either in use or turned off; your changes will take effect when
you restart your computer"

:-(

"mjs" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I'll give that a try and report back here the next time it locks up,
thanks.

Old November 21st 07, 05:22 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

I was referring to an on-screen reset button. One that would sent whatever
command to the unit that a reboot does.

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On Nov 17, 3:38 am, "mjs" wrote:

Thanks, but my Echo cards have been locking up on me for years... I've
always had to reboot when it happens.

How many more years will it take before they add a reset button to the
console? :-(

Wrong question. You should ask: "How many months before they fix the
firmware so that it won't lock up?" A reset button costs money for
every unit built. A software fix only costs once (but it's harder to
test).

Old November 21st 07, 05:31 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Sue Morton

Did you go through task manager and terminate any apps (like sonar) that
used the Gina but are still running? If the card really is in use that
might now make a reset possible... just a thought, I've never experienced
your issue so haven't had to look for a getaround...
--
Sue Morton

reenews.net...

Old November 21st 07, 06:00 PM posted to cakewalk.audio, comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc, rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On Nov 21, 12:22 pm, "mjs" wrote:

I was referring to an on-screen reset button. One that would sent whatever
command to the unit that a reboot does.

Regardless of what the message says, what it almost certainly means is
that the computer can't talk to the Gina card. So if it can't talk to
the card, how will an on-screen button be able to reset it?

Old November 21st 07, 06:19 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Max Arwood[_2_]

If you are unable to reset with the Gina Console. It's locked up big time.
Like Sue said check the task manager and see if Sonar is stuck. If it is
delete from task manager then try the Gina Console change settings. If that
doesn't work, you are screwed. What version of Sonar are you using? Which
Gina driver, which OS? If non of this works, I would try to remember what
you were doing right before the crash. Also which plugins were in the song
you were working on. Plugins are a major cause of crashes.

Max Arwood

reenews.net...

"Max Arwood" wrote in message
et...
You could also try to change the digital mode from SPDIF to ADAT and
back that will work sometimes.
Max Arwood

reenews.net...

Old November 21st 07, 06:20 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
philicorda

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:20:32 -0500, mjs wrote:

"The driver cannot be restarted right now; your changes will take effect
when you restart your computer."

:-(

You could try manually unloading and reloading the driver from the
kernel, without rebooting the computer. It might not let you if the
driver has zombified.
If it works, make a script to do it and put it on your desktop.

Else, perhaps using a different output driver (WDM,ASIO,MME,WaveRT etc)
from Sonar could help.
Old November 22nd 07, 01:55 AM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

Yes. :-(

Old November 22nd 07, 01:57 AM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

On Nov 21, 12:22 pm, "mjs" wrote:

I was referring to an on-screen reset button. One that would sent
whatever
command to the unit that a reboot does.

Regardless of what the message says, what it almost certainly means is
that the computer can't talk to the Gina card. So if it can't talk to
the card, how will an on-screen button be able to reset it?

What does a reboot do to the card that a manually dispatched signal
couldn't?

Audigy Soundcard being Recognized as Emu 10k2 soundcard Andrew V. Romero Gateway Computers 0 April 18th 04 06:23 AM
frozen keyboard Ted A Turner Asus Motherboards 6 February 21st 04 09:00 AM
frozen keyboards Ted A Turner General 0 February 19th 04 10:10 PM
Frozen computers dave Homebuilt PC's 3 January 13th 04 10:55 PM
Frozen computers dave General 2 January 13th 04 10:52 PM